What’s in a name?

Farrington Gurnley
On my morning browse through the listed sits I came across this place name.
I can’t do the sit but I was intrigued by the name and had to take a look at the sit. Has curiosity led to you sitting somewhere you had never heard about before?
PS it’s between Bath and Wells in Somerset. A log cabin. It looks gorgeous.

3 Likes

Ive long been a fan of Rhyme Intrinseca and Sixpenny Handley, both in Dorset, UK. Never been to either but love their names!

Dorking, Surrey, UK. Makes me chuckle.

4 Likes

Why? As a Brit it seems quite normal.

It’s the way some names roll off the tongue or a name can evoke imagination run riot.

1 Like

I just adore the place names in the UK. Just one of the many reasons I love going there.

1 Like

I’d venture to say Canada’s most famous funny place name is Dildo, Newfoundland.

It’s Spuzzum in BC that always makes me grin…

1 Like

Pouce Coupe -

BC :canada:

Translation: “cut thumb”

As the French translation of ‘pouce coupe’ is cut thumb , one explanation of the derivation of the name is that a prospector cut his thumb and called in French “Pouce Coupe.” The Beaver Indian name would be near enough phonetically that French voyageurs would call him by the French phrase.

Always stuck in my memory I was there in '77 when I heard Elvis had died … Now that dates me :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve lived in Glasgow, Scotland for over 30 years and there were 2 buses I remember - one to Mount Blow, and one to Auchenshuggle. Not a clue where either is.

Then there is the story about Prince Charles turning up at Achiltibuie wearing some unusual headware. Apparently, the Queen had asked him where he was going and when he said he was going to Achiltibuie she replied “wear the fox hat”

or it sounded a bit like that…in a posh English voice…

3 Likes

This site won’t let me post the name of the town in NSW Australia that intrigues me. It is 4 letters, starts with H, second letter is E and ends in double L, and is the opposite place to heaven. It’s in far western NSW so may be as hot as Hxxx!

1 Like

I love the villages in Dorset, England, that are named after the River Piddle - Piddletrenthide, Piddlehinton, Puddletown, Tolpuddle, Affpuddle, Briantspuddle and Turnerspuddle. Local legend says the Victorians changed ‘Piddle’ to ‘Puddle’ because of its slang term for ‘urine’. I sought these villages out specifically on one of my trips to England as I love the names and the villages are quaint too.

2 Likes

Towns in the Amish Country,
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania:
Intercourse
Blue Ball
Bird in Hand
Paradise

Didn’t know about Virginville. Evidently that’s nearby in Berks County

1 Like

Ball’s Falls, Ontario, Canada

2 Likes

Shag Point-halfway beteween Oamaru & Dunedin

Mount Misery…

1 Like

I’ve been there!!

1 Like

Shag point’s cool :+1:

1 Like

My list is getting longer and longer. We are heading to Newfoundland this summer and Hubby has found a town called Dildo! Of course we have to visit……

There is a Piddle Brook in Worcestershire (UK) and a village called Wyre Piddle. There is also a Brewery that produces a range of Ales called Piddle in the … Their Christmas Ale is Piddle in the Snow.

1 Like

This place in Perthshire, Scotland - and its US twin!

2 Likes