When sits are in non-preferred locations

Hi all,
Most of us sitters utilize TrustedHousesitters to travel and explore new places in specific regions, hence the lovely exchange. I am curious to see what fellow sitters feel about being contacted by owners to sit for locations or homes that are not preferred. Obviously not all sits are the same. How do you handle these situations - whether they are local sits in your town, or simply not in your preferred location?

1 Like

Sometimes it pays to take a chance on a place you never considered before. I have had some wonderful adventures in places I would never have thought appealing. I applied for them because I wanted to get reviews when I was just starting out and had unforgettable experiences.

5 Likes

Hi @Infusedholistic if I don’t want to do the sit I just say thanks for the invitation but I’m unable to do your sit, regards…

3 Likes

Hi KC,
I don’t think it is any harm to say to an owner, that their sit is too close to their own home(THS is better than some for more distant sits),sitters could that the owner area is not on their is not an area on their must visit list, that they have already seen that area and that there are so many more areas to visit they don’t want to go back to the same place. That said, we will be doing return sits for some little dogs we have become attached to so that is what also happens.

1 Like

If it’s in driving distance and I can, I do. I know it sounds trite, but for me it’s mostly about the animals and helping people out. I so miss having pets.

5 Likes

Going to places not on your list can be a big learning experience. We were locked down in NZ for a few months and it was in a rural community but one of the best experiences we ever had and came back with a totally different opinion of New Zealand.