Where have all the sitters gone to?

Just to quickly jump in and clarify… the ID verification is mandatory for ALL sitters everywhere in the world but the criminal background check is ONLY in the US and there are no current plans to extend this.

1 Like

Thank you @Vanessa_A for clarifying.
However, it doesn’t change that a criminal background check isn’t possible in all countries.

Each country is different. Here you have to register as soon as you moved to another city or even to another street in the same city. Without registration you will not even be able to rent an apartment or buy a house, get a plan for telephone, gas, electricity…
So a verification that it is you is done automatically each time you do something official.
Not so in the US.

An example, which has nothing to do with pet sitting but shows the difference:
I just managed to get my (Covid-19) booster shot during my layover in Los Angeles without showing any ID, proving that I am American, which I am certainly not, proof that the address I gave is actually mine (I gave the hotel address and phone number) and nobody asked anything. This would not be possible in Germany.

4 Likes

@ Vanessa-Admin Doesn’t it seem feasible to reason that this imbalance between sitters and homeowners is partly created because U.S. sitters chose not to renew their THS memberships in part because of this mandatory background check imposed upon them?

Regardless of a person’s country, all sitters should be held to the same standards.

Hi @sharondc I can understand why that might be an assumption, but the stats show a high take-up of the CBC and ID checks generally, and I believe the imbalance is higher in the UK than in the USA. The sheer volume of new owners, many new to pet ownership, who have all joined and booked vacations at the same time seems to be the biggest factor together with behavioural differences in booking sits by some sitters who are more cautious about travel. Keeping ratios balanced is an ongoing behind the scenes operation and much is already happening to correct this particular situation. That’s as much as I know :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I said this in a previous post and got scolded lol

2 Likes

Hello community, I have posted a search for end of May. While I have some sitters that have bookmarked me as a favorite, so far I have not received any sitter. I’ve proactively reached out to them, invited them to stay, but either there is no respond or they are busy during the time I am looking for a sitter.

I know I still have a couple of weeks until my trip, but I am starting to panic for not having already found help. I am not living in one of the major cities that normally people like to stay so I am concerned my posting isn’t attractive enough for sitters?
Does anybody have any recommendation on how to attract sitters?
Warm regards,
Marion

1 Like

We’ve been wanting to spend more time in France but couldn’t resist the multitude of nice UK sits right now.

4 Likes

Maybe mention you’re just an hour (assuming light traffic as I’m looking at 8:30 PM Pacific, on Easter) from either airport?

Can you offer to pickup/dropoff the sitter from either airport?

Can you offer the use of your vehicle while the person visits?

Another car-related issue: mention what can get delivered (pizza, Chinese, ubereats, etc.)

Offer that the sitter can take over your food subscription (like blue apron or hello fresh) so that they wouldn’t have to go grocery shopping.

Hi @FreuMa00 - my only tip would be to change your listing title.

" I would love to build a trusted relationship with somebody who could help me."

1 - It is too long and will be wasted on anyone searching on their phones
2 - The wording makes me think you are looking for one sitter that will become regular. As we ( and many other sitters ) are travellers this is not something we could commit to and hence, If I was looking, I probably would not apply to you.

6 Likes

Hi @jkjetsetters I have emailed you directly from membership services, so please keep in touch that way.
Kind regards
Therese

2 Likes

I agree with Colin. If I was available I would not apply as I live a distance away and would not be able to come on a ‘regular’ basis.
While it would be nice to always have the same sitter that may not always be possible and you may meet several ‘great’ sitters instead. Good luck in your search.

1 Like

Yes, that is why I’ve posted in here, to get input from the experienced members. I’m thankful and am working on my profile.
Warm regards,
Marion

1 Like

Interesting input, thank you MissChef. I need to see what I can add to my profile.
Warm regards,
Marion

Hello Colin, thank you for your feedback. I wanted to change the title anyway, and made some other additions to my posting.
Warm regards,
Marion

1 Like

Good luck x

1 Like

Thank you, I have responded there!

After sending kind, personal messages to about 40 sitters I’m quickly losing hope. I’ve messaged people near me, people within a few hours driving distance, people on the West coast that frequently travel around, etc. Shortened the trip, offered the car, told perks of the area/home, I’m not sure what else to try.

The calendar hasn’t been helpful, as many sitters with dates in green are not available/active, and many sitters are active & have some sits booked but leave their calendar white the rest of the time, whether available or not. So searching, reviewing, & messaging has been very time consuming. There really should be a better way to find sitters available/interested now.

Fingers crossed the social media posting helps!

5 Likes

I totally agree with the availability not being updated as a big issue. I checked that before I invoted people to sit, yet they were all unavailable…I need help, I am leaving in just a few weeks and I am starting to panic a bit.

1 Like

Hi @Ladygreynius I have not read your listing but have only viewed your photos. I suggest you reduce the number of photos of your pets and the pool table photos and increase and improve your interior photos. I would retake the kitchen photo so the area can be seen clearly. I would also add photos of the bedroom and bathroom the sitter(s) will use. Sitters want to see the areas where they will be living.

4 Likes

Gotcha, will do that tomorrow

Hi. I have been using Trusted Housesitters for quite a few years. Every time I post housesit date I immediately get a ,lot of responses - this year my listing has been up for quite a while and I haven’t had one response. Is everyone fin ding that people are being cautious (covid maybe?) or is it just quiet this year. We’re in a great location so usually its popular with responses. Just picturing getting to the summer and not having anyone to look after my furry friends! Emma x

2 Likes