Where have all the sitters gone to?

I have also been asked for more photos inside the house. This I cannot do for security.

Are you willing to send them privately? If so, it’s worth mentioning that you’re not able to post them publicly but you’ll send them privately. Otherwise, like others said, it’s probably going to be difficult.

5 Likes

The first thing I would do is link to your sit in your forum profile so people can provide feedback on your listing. I’d also read the past conversation on this topic. August is pretty far out. I’m personally really only looking at June/July at this point.

1 Like

hi @traceymolly And welcome to the Forum.
If you have a read through the comments above your post I am sure you will get an answer to your questions, but briefly :

Recent events have stopped so many sisters from travelling abroad and many are still doing house sits, but only in home countries. I am kind of presuming you are in the UK? So if you prepare a good listing, there should be no problem getting sitters.

Other than Full-time sitters who will plan and apply for sits well in advance, I think the majority of sitters who only travel during annual leave/holidays will not be booking so far in advance ATM in case of any changes to travel regulations, so there’s no panic yet!

If you are contacting local sitters in your area, sitters who show up when you check their location on THS, there is a good chance that they will NOT want to sit locally in August - they will want to travel to a different location.

You still have 3 months before your sit, there is loads of time.

Hi I can send then privately but as there are 40 odd rooms this will take a while. Last year we had the most wonderful sitters. We were really lucky. We did a video call before hand. I asked in the discussion whether to shut off the rooms that were not being used but a few people found that not agreeable.

1 Like

Thankyou for your response but we are off to Greece and I’m desperate to secure a sitter so I don’t have to worry.
How do I link my sit please?
Thankyou

I’ve just looked up your sit and if we had been in the UK this summer we definitely would have jumped at it. I love rambling old houses (although as a practicality I always stick to a couple of rooms, less cleaning) and loads of animals is heaven. Throw in a huge garden and walks from the door. My idea of an ideal pet sit.

1 Like

You definitely don’t need to send them all the rooms. Just their bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and main living room. If people want to see more than that, they’re being a bit ridiculous. If I were you, I would just shut off the other rooms. There’s no need for them to have access to rooms they aren’t actively using.

3 Likes

But you’re not off until August. It’s only end of April. It’s not time to panic yet. If you search, there is a thread on how to add your link to your profile. I don’t have it handy but I know for certain it’s been linked in this thread multiple times.

Have you thought about contacting your previous sitters to see if they are available to come again? Your estate looks so lovely, but between the number of animals, huge estate, and extensive gardens, the sit may seem pretty overwhelming for many sitters. Good luck!

3 Likes

It can be overwhelming so it is definately not for everyone.

1 Like

It’s July - August was last year.

1 Like

That response was to someone else. You can see who I was responding to in the top right corner of the message. :slight_smile: It can be confusing without threading.

1 Like

I have added a profile photo and more photos. I hope this will help and not put people off :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Hi @Coco As I now look at your listing again, as a sitter I would wonder about the size of your home and my responsibility. In such a large home, indoors I would hope to only have responsibility for a certain number of rooms I use - one living area, kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom. I don’t know whether you have cleaners who routinely care for the whole home, but I certainly wouldn’t want to be expected to clean it.

Back to the DBS check, which has been mentioned in someone’s response as somewhat of a barrier. I specifically see it as an issue if you are open to sitters from another country. I’ve now searched the DBS (as I’m not UK based) and it says you’d also need to search the records of any country they’ve lived in (even if a UK sitter). I would suggest you get specifics from your insurance as to their exact requirements. Also, for example, I have Nexus clearance in Canada, which means I’m current on screening by the Canadian RCMP and the US equivalent. You may want to ask what equivalent screening they would accept from other countries. You may find yourself in a position where you can only accept UK sitters, because of your insurance. It’s best to know that in advance, and to clearly state that at the start of your listing, if that’s the case.

2 Likes

And @Coco to add to what @Snowbird said, I would get them to define what qualifies as having lived somewhere. Technically I haven’t lived anywhere in 13+ years. I’ve been a nomad since 2008. So I’m not sure where they would even check in my situation. This could be a problem for all full time sitters.

2 Likes

Hi. I have now added to the listing that we have a cleaner three mornings a week so the sitter will only have to look after the rooms they are using not the rest of the house. We would never expect someone to do this. We are asking for house sitters to be in the house to look after our animals, certainly not unpaid cleaners. We are hoping that people can enjoy the grounds and the surrounding areas which are beautiful with some fascinating historic towns nearby. The idea is that people should enjoy the area as we do.

6 Likes

Thank you @ElsieDownie. We have a cleaner so hopefully not too much in the housework line. Just the pets and a bit of watering.

2 Likes

I was reading about the amount of watering and some of it is 2-3 a day. How long does it normally take to do one “watering”? I’ve done some sits where the outdoor water was all by hand and took a good hour, but we only had to do it every 2nd day so it was more than manageable.

The sit looks pretty amazing though. The only part I’d be worried about is the horses. My husband has owned in the past and is familiar with them, but it was a long time ago. I may favourite your sit for future reference.

3 Likes

Hi @Kelownagurl. The only hand watering is in the green house and that has a hose going into it. We have sprinklers and they need turning on and moving up and down the borders over the coming days. This only needs doing when there are really dry spells like now. We are always happy for sitters to eat the salads and vegetables, (particularly as they are watering them)

3 Likes

I would probably clarify. i too thought it would be a lot of work. Maybe put in a time estimate for how long it would take vs how many times a day? rather than twice a day something like “move sprinklers in yard when it’s dry - 15 mins/day”

1 Like