Which was the closest sit you 've done?

Yesterday I saw an ad for a sit near me. I checked once I had applied : I did not think it was that close ! it’s 32 km distant from my home. Perfect under Covid times…

The forum is very helpful, I followed many advices given by some of you.
As always I gave my full name, my mobile phone, my land phone. I have been selected to day after a call via Whatsapp (we exchanged since many pictures of our 2 young dogs)

And you know what ? I dared ask if I could come with Tahoe, my 7 months puppy, as the sit is to look after a young rescue dog, 1 year old.

The owner accepted. First experience to sit with my own pet. At Xmas, what a gift for my puppy : he will play for 11 days with a companion !!

My husband does not know yet he will have to keep our cat at night, he’s welcome during the day… but as the owner might change her dates, I can’t seek a pet sitter myself…

4 Likes

We did a sit which was 3.5 miles (5.6km) from Suze’s parents house (where we based during Pandemic). It was only for the weekend but it was a nice sit when we had nothing else to do!

2 Likes

I was in HCMC in Vietnam a couple of years ago between sits, and one came up for 3 days. I applied and the HO wanted to meet me first, so she sent me details of a coffee shop she used , and it was about 5 minutes walk. She lived in the next street from where I was staying. I did the sit and had a great 3 days. She has now moved to Lithuania with the dog, and because of the way THS works, it now says I did the sit in Lithuania.

2 Likes

I have also done about 10 sits in Singapore, which is where I am normally based.
A great way to see different parts of the island state. Most of the homes have been really special - ex-pat condo’s with all facilities, one on Sentosa island with private elevator, one was one of the 1930’s listed Black and White Villas, all withing about 30 minutes travel of my home in Singapore. Can’t wait to get back.

2 Likes

Who is the WINNER @ChrisAndSuzeGoWalkies @Petermac ?? Singapour is a large town so it depends where the sits were…

:champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne:

1 Like

May be this must be changed @Petermac . An idea of topic for THS and Ben ?

1 Like

I won’t tell the 5.6 million citizens of Singapore you said that. It is a country, an island, city state.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with that. My reviews say I have been to Cambodia and Lithuania because the owners have now moved there…

1 Like

I knew Singapour was a town/country/island. I did not know its size but 5,6 millions citizens is nothing compared to Mexixo or many chinese cities…

1 Like

Like Luxemburg - 625,000, or Andorra 77,000, Portugal 10m, Iceland 350,000, Estonia, Latvia, Slovenia, Albania, Croatia, Ireland, Norway…all less than Singapore…Even Scotland at 5.46m has a smaller population than Singapore.

1 Like

My first ever sit was 14 years ago and a short 10 min walk from my home on Vancouver Island, :canada: 2 weeks with an adorable Cocker Spaniel called Charlie,

I had lost my beautiful Springer Holly 3 weeks earlier for me it was healing and cathartic and helped me deal with my grief. I been “healing” ever since.

Animals put the joy back in our lives.

3 Likes

I also sat in my hometown, Montréal, for a week end during Christmas season 2017. The young woman was an air steward and didn’t want to leave her cat to be fed by the neighbor too often. She prefered of course a presence. So she was often putting shorts assignments on THS hoping to find an happy available sitter. At that time, it was me. But many new Montrealers’sitters responded to her queries, building at the same time their references.

4 Likes

Because of COVID we’ve narrowed our house sitting radius to manageable and mainly non-flight travel distances, as well as generally staying close to family. And, since we don’t have a car, as you can imagine that narrows the radius quite a bit. As digital nomads we don’t have a home to measure from, but our nearest sit to a family home has been about 4 miles.

There’s a safety net in being nearby home or a family members home, which can be nice, but it can also change the dynamic a bit. We found we packed a wee-bit more than usual, since ‘we could’. We also lost the thrill of being in a new place, since we were very familiar with the nighborhoods and the region in general.

So, as we’ve said several times on the forums already, and which we’re sure many sitters and owners alike will agree with, we’re itching to travel to new places again and for COVID to run it’s course already.
:train2::airplane: :star_struck:

4 Likes

The last sit we did prior to COVID was in our own city and just ten minutes away. We sold our house and had yet to find a new one. We had planned to stay in a hotel when we saw the sit advertised. I explained to the homeowner our situation and she was delighted to have us. Unfortunately she had to return early due to COVID so we did end up staying the last week of the sit in a hotel but we have remained great friends with her and she has already visited us in our new home in a different city.

3 Likes

I agree with all the good points already made regarding close-to-home sits:

1. Lots to discover close to home
  2. Good way to gain references
  3. Relaxed: You know the territory and support
  4. Easy: You can be very flexible to unexpected extensions

Of course “close” is relative. For me it is an 8 hour driving radius, including most of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas. I guess if I was extra-adventurous, I could drive into Mexico, slightly less risky than New Orleans.

1 Like