Will I be able to get a sitter?

Hi Rebecca,
Don’t sell yourself or your dog short. First you need a positive spin. Some pictures of your clean house would help. Sitters love a clean uncluttered house! I’m sure you have pictures of your dog looking cute. Someone in the area looking to get their feet wet would probably jump at the chance to sit with your dog or someone who works from home. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Good luck!
Diane

3 Likes

Actually I would really welcome that kind of honesty in a profile especially if it was followed by a lot of positive things about the opportunity . As homeowners in Italy we are close to the sea with great views and get a lot of applications so, although the initial advert is honest and positive, prior to shortlisting I make a point of sending all applicants a “warts and all” description of the less positive points (you may see snakes, there is no air conditioning, the dog walks are over rough ground etc) which really helps weed out the applicants who seem like they really just want to stay somewhere pretty by the sea and shortlist those who sound interested in the pets

4 Likes

@Rebecca.62

I was thinking about this… do you use a particular brand of soap or perfume ?
once your sitter was secured ( or before) you could say your dog gets a little anxious and you have found it helps if the sitter were to wear a scarf with said scent (scent provided by yourself when they arrive) if they aren’t allergic of course. We all know the power of a dog’s sense of smell.
You could have a friend try that out for you.
wishing you luck

1 Like

One of the most likely possibilities is a local person who wants to acquire references for future pet sits. I have sat locally for that reason.
On another note I will be pet sitting for a friend because she doesn’t trust anyone else with her Doberman and Shar Pei. She is traveling over 150 miles to bring them to me to watch. My dog can hardly wait for the company.

1 Like

Update… I did get a sitter for my October trip and she is here in Wisconsin. I’m very relieved to have that first sitter confirmed. She has a great profile and I think she will be happy here. I am working on my sitters guide now. I’m being as thorough as I can and want to offer her the best information and advice so her stay will be memorable. The February sit might be a little more difficult in Wisconsin but I’m hoping someone who loves the snow, skiing and winter activity will come share my winter wonderland!

6 Likes

Very pleased to hear you’ve found your first sitter. It’s always very much appreciated when owners take time to complete the sitters guide - if you have any questions about that don’t hesitate to ask the team. I would LOVE to be there for winter as we enjoy the snow and skiing. We have a repeat house sit in the French Alps this year close to the ski resort of Chamonix where we will spend some time after our sit. We really enjoyed our snowy walks with the dogs last December, so please be assured there are sitters among us who do enjoy the snow :service_dog: :snowflake: :snowman_with_snow::sled: :skier:

1 Like

Thank you for the encouragement! Winter is quite beautiful here and I am hoping that either a winter activity enthusiast or someone who wants to watch the snow fall while being tucked away with a couple of cuddling poochies will see the sit opportunity and jump on it :grinning:

4 Likes