Would you give your nick name used on this forum to a HO who asks you so?

THS asked us to give a name (real or nickname) to participate on this forum
Many members appear under nicknames. I guess sitters don’t want to be recognized by owners with whom they “dealt”.
Would you accept to communicate your nickname to owners (who sometimes participate on the forum too) in order for them to have a better idea of what you need, miss, feel with your past expériences ?

No lol. I like staying incognito here

5 Likes

Pmsl :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I never use my real name on any internet forum! If people want to find out more about me, there’s the private message option :+1:

5 Likes

if an owner contacts you on this forum privately, it may mean 2 different things.

(s)he likes your contribution and may want to choose you as pet sitter if you’re available

(s)he does not agree at all with what you wrote and want to know your real name in order to never choose you in case you would apply one day to his/her ad

I personnally noticed on another forum some member confessing she always promises to follow the owners’ rules (such as the amount of walks for dogs, the duration, the time of their meals etc.), but she does in the end what she wants, “after all the animals dont speak” she precised.
Pets of course can’t tell the owners what had occured when they were away, but they can fall ill if some rules have not been followed…

Believe me or not, but with my owner hat, I would fear to have selected that lady, ignoring how she can behave. And I would be happy to know her real name when she hides behind a nicKname. Like that I would never select her ! Otherwise I can be cheated.

This is why I was asking my question : would you give your real name ? Where you live ? It’s easier for the owner, then, to see what the sitter thinks and how he behaves usually…

3 Likes

Yes. I would certainly give my username and real name to a home owner and even link my sitting profile to this forum, if this functionality existed. I am on several sitting FB groups with my real name. I thought that we needed a special user name for this forum, since when I joined folks were using usernames and not real names. But it is pretty easy to figure out who we are. Most of us list where we are located in our profiles and use the same picture as our sitting profiles.

1 Like

I would give mine as well. In fact, they can probably figure it out regardless because I use it everywhere, including my blog website. I stand by anything I say on this site, it’s nothing I wouldn’t say directly to a home owner in an interview.

5 Likes

My name on this forum is my real name and my profile picture is the same as on the main THS website, so it’s easy to identify me!

1 Like

I would, no worries at all. I don’t say anything on here that I wouldn’t say to a homeowner. Actually, I would consider a homeowner asking a positive, it would show that they are engaged in the selection process and want to understand more about who I am.

3 Likes

I think a lot of us use nicknames because it’s how we’re represented elsewhere online so it makes sense to have continuity, not because we want to hide. I don’t write anything that I wouldn’t want any pet owner to read, I don’t feel like I have anything to hide as open communication is at the very heart of happy house sitting. I use “alternativetravelers” because it’s my website name and social media handles, and I have my website listed in my THS profile. Understanding the needs of both sides only helps with facilitating a mutually beneficial exchange, so I think it’s great for each side to understand where the other is coming from.

6 Likes

I also have my real name on here as well and not particularly worried.

1 Like

I noticed lately that Onymity is rather virtual as when you click on pictures of members, you get the link of their listing or profile…

I think you only get the link if the person has added it to their profile. Some have it and some don’t (I think).

You’re right. I checked.

1 Like

I have nothing to hide, what you see or read is what you get. My User name here is my normal everyday name so people can easily find me.
However, our profile is in my partners name and that’s a big secret…

2 Likes

Hello,
I use my real name and I put the link for my sitter profile.
Nothing to hide and when the owner or sitter list where they live, you can find them easily.

2 Likes

Hello Southernsitter,
You can link your ths sitter profile to the forum.
Click on your picture in the menu at the top left, then on the small silhouette, on the wheel preferences, profile and to the website section you paste your ths address

2 Likes

I never use Nik names - I have nothing to hide. I always try to be kind and would never say anything on a Facebook group that I would not feel comfortable with anyone knowing that it was me that said it…

2 Likes