Arriving after owners have left

We have done quite a few sits with cats and one with chickens where we arrived after the owners had left. No issues at all but I think with dogs I’m not sure if I would feel comfortable arriving if I had not met them with the owners present before to make sure they know you’re a friend.

1 Like

I never begin a dog sit without the owners being present as I know of instances (not as serious as the sitter in Texas) where sitters have not been able to enter the property because of the dog’s aggressive and protective behaviour. I am also choosy about which breeds of dogs I feel comfortable looking after and pit bulls are not on my list!!

5 Likes

As a dog owner I could not even contemplate having a sitter arrive after my departure. I have to be sure that my dog/dogs and the sitter are totally comfortable and relaxed with each other, and that sometimes takes a little time and a walk together, with me there to reassure my dog that all is ok, and to explain any behavioural quirks to the sitter! My dog is an absolute sweetheart, but there is no way that a first meeting would happen unmanaged, however wonderful the sitter, for both their sakes. I would have to know for sure that there were no issues, that the sitter was connecting with my dog, and that however stressed my dog might be when I left, she would see the sitter as a comfort and a companion, rather than be stressed about who was there.

Cats and chickens are different (my cats are not going to overly stressed so long as you feed and cuddle them), and my larger animals would be ok too, but only if we have had plenty of communication beforehand (as always) and I know for certain that the sitter has experience and knowledge of those animals (as well as, of course, a caring heart and a love for being with them!). In reality though, I still wouldn’t want to have a sitter who I hadn’t met before, so it wouldn’t happen! That’s just me!

4 Likes

We had to arrive after the HO had left because of a volcano causing both of our flights to be rescheduled! We arrived with treats in hand to be greeted warmly by the dogs. Sometimes there is no choice, so you go with the flow!

4 Likes

We arrived after the home host had left recently and were slightly concerned. We went armed with dog treats but as soon as we let ourselves in the dog was super friendly and excited to see us as if she had known us for years!

Fantastic Pet - Terrible guard dog :rofl:

4 Likes

I completely agree with you

1 Like

Living in the western U.S., we sometimes drive long distances to get to a sit. If the owner is leaving in the morning, we’ll say in our application “we can arrive the evening before and stay at motel in order to meet you and your pet.” Sometimes the owners invite us to stay at their place; if not, we stay in an inexpensive motel. If the sit is in a city you want to visit, paying for one night’s stay at a motel should be no big deal. It’s really important to meet the pets with the owner present; also it’s much easier to understand the owners’ instructions regarding the home when they walk you through it and if you have questions, they’re right there to answer them.

8 Likes

Almost all of our sits have been with cats in which the owner has left before we arrived. We have only pet sat for dogs twice and in one case the owners were there to greet us and on the second, we let ourselves into the home and the next day a friend dropped the dog off to us as the owner had to leave before we could arrive.