Car rentals for house sitters in England

Hi E-D
I have considered buying a car in the US for my next trip (maybe in the autumn), but I heard that I have to provide a US residency address for arranging insurance, vehicle registration etc, do you or anyone know how all this works and what documentation needs to be completed when buying/selling a car in US?

We did look into this and you can use a mail drop company which will give you an address. One of the things we also found out is each state has its own rules so watch out for that as well. I think Maryland is one of the cheaper States to buy in as they have no sales tax. I may be wrong about that so check it out. Lots of research needed. We were thinking about a RV at first but there are so many house sits we think a car will do.
We are lucky enough to have lots of relations and friends in both Canada and US so I think we will use one of their addresses. Where are you thinking of heading in the Autumn. I am a hot plant and most places there get so cold in the Winter.
Elsie

1 Like

awesome! Thanks :-). Your tip regarding searching via private browser page also applies to airfares, and also changing your country of origin can affect the results.

2 Likes

I have a regular sitting in Vegas and whilst they are not going anywhere I am hoping to visit them in mid Oct then travel and return for thanksgiving, I am registered as a renter of their property within their HOA and they have said I could use their address.

I just don’t know what the implications are for doing that or how I register a vehicle in my name etc, I am assuming the motor trader will assist?

I also presume the insurance would just use the same address but again I understand there are differences between the States for legal liability limits etc. I would probably only use the vehicle in Nevada/Arizona/Utah/California

I would be looking for liability coverage and maybe own damage depending on the value of the vehicle i buy…

Check out the Cuvva App. We used this to insure my father-in-law car last year. It is very reasonable.

1 Like

That’s the way to go in my opinion. I bought a great little runabout for £350 last time I was in the UK. Much cheaper than renting and didn’t have to worry about scratching the rims up on kerbs :rofl:

5 Likes

Try Kingfisher carhire.
http://www.kingfishercarrental.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjwqcKFBhAhEiwAfEr7zfw6m7qc-J-5iuXQSkItd3wucvFNwdPiqAaGlstE9QoVCKlC6WZFYBoCP3oQAvD_BwE

Late getting in on this thread. I’ve done 3 overseas sits, 2 in the UK and 1 on Jeju Island, South Korea.
For one UK sit, a car was really needed - in the country in Somerset and I needed a car to buy groceries and do a bit of siteseeing. The second was in Edinbugh and I never moved the car. For all 3 offshore sits the owners offered use of their car - in the UK I provided a copy of my license and they added me to their insurance. In Korea I asked and was told that I was covered by the owners insurance.
Here is the US, I’ve not needed cars for most sits, have had cars included for some and asked and had them included for others.
Some sits are just located where you need a car to get to the grocery - public transportation just isn’t good enough. Others, I’ve used the owner’s car to take the dog to the dog park.
tom

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experiences @toml often owners and sitters come to similar arrangements, it’s so good to find a solution that suits everyone.

Hi Lindsay, What did you do for registration and insurance?

Hello, welcome to the community and thanks for posting your link! Have you had recent experience with this company?

I registered it to my cousins address as it was my home base between sits. Insurance was a little trickier as I have a Canadian driving license. Some insurers wouldn’t cover me and some have astronomical quotes but I managed to get a fairly affordable policy through Sterling Insurance. Took a little bit of time & effort to sort but was well worth it.

2 Likes

Yes, I don’t own a car and have used this company quite a few times, would never recommend otherwise. I like them because they deliver and puck up car, I live in South West London so thought ok for people flying into Heathrow. However, I dont know if they insure non British driving licence so best to ask them all the relevant questions.

Great information … Thank-you! We are Brits who have just got a French residency and have to exchange our UK licences for French ones later this year :frowning: We only keep one car so if one of us returns to UK we will need to rent, so looking for some good companies in South to approach in preparation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They talk about International drivers permit and original license, so they must rent to people with foreign Driving Licences.
Under Terms and Conditions.

Thanks for the link!

1 Like

A possible problem with that is if you need to get the dog to the vet as many taxis won’t take a dog.

1 Like

To avoid the high insurance cost with rental cars I’ve used an annual policy via http://reducemyexcess.co.uk/

Thankfully I’ve not had to make a claim on the policy but friends, with a similar Annual policy have claimed and the excess was refunded without issue.

2 Likes

Thanks! - That is a great tip. I rarely book car hires as I hate the extra insurances they always pressure you into buying.

2 Likes

We are able to use the car rental insurance that comes with our credit card in many countries. That has saved us a bundle. So far, only Italy has insisted on us paying for their extra insurance.

3 Likes

It won’t help at your sit but we have used relocation car hire to get us from A to B. Sometimes companies need to move their cars back to popular spots, usually busy airports, and they will advertise car hire for £1 for these journeys. They are restricted by time and miles allowed but they can be very handy if you are in Edinburgh and need to fly from Heathrow.
I have even come across moving RVs from one place to another or new RVs being moved from the factory to their new rental homes for $19 a night. Again, time and mileage are restricted.
It’s amazing what solutions can be found when needs must.

2 Likes