Do HO’s normally leave a tip?

@ElsieDownie @Snowbird I agree wholeheartedly although putting the owner’s hat and mind on, some equate “tip” with “gift” and in no way consider it as payment for services.

These are the owners who most probably also buy their sitters gifts and fill the fridge for their arrival. The happiness and care of their pets is paramount and they are simply expressing their gratitude in their own way. … I’ve been in this position with owners on a number of occasions.

What we can do is gently guide them in a different direction.

2 Likes

As tipping isn’t common in the UK or Australia (where I lived for 30 years) I find the idea of a cash tip quite disconcerting. We’ve often had bottles of wine and chocolates but I think it’s an important principle that we aren’t charging for the service.
It seems especially weird if the tip is given before the service. It would feel like a bit of a put down to me. It stops it being a relationship between equals.

9 Likes

Hi @EdGallagher welcome to our community forum we’re so glad to have you join. 30 years in Australia, are you now back in the UK? We look forward to getting to know you and sharing in your THS journey.

Thank you for joining in the conversation and sharing your thoughts. Enjoy connecting with members from around the world.

Angela and the Team

Hi all. This is my first time using the service. I’m wondering if I should tip my sitter.

2 Likes

This is the thread @Rmd12471 that I mentioned where you’ll find lots of feedback about tipping from other members. Enjoy the conversation :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you so much!!!

2 Likes

One of the first questions I’m asked, by those unfamiliar with Trusted House Sitters, is whether I get paid to sit. I happily respond, “NO” and add that there is NO money is exchanged between Sitters and Home Owners.

1 Like

I’ve appreciated bottles of wine that have been left for me, nice meals before the sit, a HO recently left me money for the Lyft to and from the airport, since she was leaving before I arrived and returning after I left.
Don’t expect anything, so those kinds of things are much appreciated.
tom

6 Likes

I just recently joined THS as a HO and I always have to explain to people who want to know who’s taking care of the cats, that sitters aren’t paid for staying in our house.
We used to have sitters before and some we paid per day, others were just happy to be closer to their work or having a house to themselves (young adults still living at home).

Most people instantly think of criminals wanting to empty the house and take away all the valuables…as if I had diamonds lying around…:roll_eyes:

Then they wonder about papers. What would a sitter do with the knowledge about how much tax we pay or how many insurances we have?

I always leave a welcome basket with one or more bottles of wine, depending on the number of sitters and length of their sit, some sweets, bread, a book about the area and sightseeing points, a map for hiking and bicycle trails and a thank you card.
I leave some money for paying a taxi, in case they have to take the cats to the vet, because it’s not possible to use our cars.

We always pick them up at the airport or train station and, if they haven’t already left when we return, take them back there.

But we don’t pay them or leave a tip in form of money.

18 Likes

We sometimes get paid in chocolate, wine or gifts from their travels ;). Also, some people fill up the fridge with food. But not everybody does that and we would certainly not expect it. We also sometimes cook time-consuming dishes, buy a few groceries or leave something special behind (e.g. professional photos from their animals). But we neither receive or give money.

Same as most, lovely treats such as wine, food, or chocolates. Once I got a monetary tip in a thank you envelope.

1 Like

We have never left a tip, but always leave a welcome basket for our sitters, which includes fruit, popcorn, snacks, etc., as well as info on local attractions and menus to various nearby restaurants. This is an adequate way to show appreciation and helps the sitter with starting the sit and not needing to head to the store right away.

3 Likes

On a related topic: is it customary to tip or leave some form of payment?

1 Like

Hi @ccc The concept of THS is a win-win scenario, with no exchange of money. This point is covered in 'how much will sitters charge?

I realize that doesn’t directly answer your question, but tipping or payments are overall discouraged. However, sometimes a homeowner may feel they want to make some gesture of appreciation, but just as often a sitter may also do something similar. However, these are usually thoughtful small gifts, and again are certainly not required but rather done by choice.

Francine,
Voluntary Forum Moderator

4 Likes

I would feel offended if an owner tried to tip me (with money) for looking after their pets and home. This is a mutual exchange and money should not be involved at any level. I know what I’m supposed to do and aspire to do it at a high enough level that both parties are happy with the outcome. I don’t need a “tip” as a thank you.
We usually enjoy a meal and a bottle of wine together before they go away but that’s more a getting to know one another.

6 Likes

Not really. Some HOs will leave a small gift like a gift card to a local shop or restaurant or a bottle of wine, or bring something back from their trip. But it’s not required. If you’re going to go the gift route, I strongly suggest a consumable, especially if you’re giving it to them post-trip as most people don’t have space in their luggage for gifts.

A warm welcome @ccc and a good question that has been discussed at length on this thread. Consequently we’ve moved your question here where it is very relevant and will continue the conversation.

Is this something you’ve encountered? Being left a tip? We would be interested to hear your experiences and in which countries, as I think this can play a part.

Please enjoy the forum and it’s many discussions. All the best, Vanessa

1 Like

Hi, Vanessa,

I asked because I’m new to TH (as a HO only, not a sitter), and it’s just amazing that someone is caring for my animals with only housing as compensation. It truly is a win-win situation. I want to be a good host, so I was wondering what sitters are expecting/accustomed to.

Thanks for responding,
ccc

12 Likes

I know @ccc it’s a value exchange that many newcomers do wonder, is this really happening without money passing hands! That’s what we’ve loved and appreciated about TrustedHousesitters in all the years we’ve been using them, and it sounds like you get the win-win too :slight_smile: Thank you for taking the time to ask questions and to be a great host! Please do share some stories from your house sitting journey too as you meander around our community! Have a lovely weekend :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello @ccc
I will chime in with my own experiences. I do not ever ask or expect anything from a HO that I have agreed to sit for.
I select and screen my HO just as much as they do me and in our conversations we discuss what is expected, required etc.
That being said, I am always delighted at the kindness and generosity I receive. From gift cards, small gifts, dinners in or out, food, an outing to an event (had someone take me to see the Royal Ballet once) and I do have a regular who will hand me an envelope with a great fun note.
Once it said « For AAFAF». When I asked, he said « Amparo’s Amazing Freaking Adventures Fund »
Most of us do this because we truly love this. Compensation of any kind is not required or necessary. Do what you feel is right and best for you is my mantra.

5 Likes