HO asking for us to meet the pets first- we're 8 hrs away

@systaran - I’m not an authority on this, but as I read the terms and conditions, the insurance only applies if you are utterly stranded. If you have any other options, such as cancelling your travel or returning home, then you’re expected to do that. My sense is that since you could drive home, the insurance wouldn’t pay for you to stay in a hotel. Unless you got kicked out late at night or something weird.

Hmm, my understanding was that if the sit is cancelled within 2 weeks of the start date the insurance was supposed to cover hotel (assuming that you first attempted to get a replacement sit). Some of us are nomadic sitters so just going home wouldn’t be an option.

The insurance seems very vague. I think I’m just going to downgrade my membership, since I’m sure if I needed it there would be some loophole making it not apply.

@systaran - Well, it probably would cover you if you’re nomadic and don’t have a home to go back to. As long as your hotel is within 20 miles of where the cancelled house sit was. But yeah, some of the terms and conditions are kind of vague.

I’d better read through the terms and conditions too. The entire reason I paid for the premium service was to utilize the HO cancellation insurance. I may need to just downgrade if THS makes it really difficult to utilize the cancellation benefit

1 Like

Hello, @IHeartAnimals here is the help desk article about cancellation insurance:

The T&Cs for an owner and sitter are available in links in this article.
Thank you Carla

1 Like

I guess if you are in a rural area where there is not hotel within 20 miles or somewhere in high season where there may not be one available within 20 miles, then you are not covered.

@systaran - That’s right. Which means that if a sitter was en route to a distant sit when the homeowner cancelled, the sitter would not be able to stop traveling and receive coverage for a hotel in their current location.

I am closing this thread as the original question has been resolved and if you use the spyglass and type in cancellation insurance there are several thread here that you can find insurance answers on and continue the discussion. Thank you Carla