Housekeeping standards

We spend lots of time cleaning on the last 1-2 days of a sit and always leave the homes very clean. For this reason, we avoid sits that are less than a week and prefer at least 2 weeks! I would be more excited about doing shorter sits if the Owner relieved me of the cleaning duty. It does not take long in a home to require the bathrooms, kitchen, and floors all needing to be cleaned, plus the linens. If we are only there for 2 nights and are expected to spend a half day cleaning, it is not worth it to us. I would appreciate other thoughts around this.

2 Likes

I like to carry out short sittings from time to time but only if they are not far from home. I do agree with you @PVGemini that the cleaning can put me off, especially as Mr Itchyfeet and I like a bathroom each!!
I avoid doing the linens, I will suggest I strip the bed which HOs are always happy with. I have done some for only 2 nights and just treat it as a lovely small break with fabulous pets and make the most of the one full day that we have.
I make sure that I am happy with arrival and departure times too before I commit to ensure we have plenty of time to clean and pack up on our last day.

1 Like

No matter the length of sit we try to only use essential rooms to reduce the cleaning - kitchen, den, bedroom and one bathroom. On very short sits we carefully strip the bed, fold up the sheets and pillowcases carefully and put our own on. At the end we do that in reverse so we cut down on the laundry. Our sheets can wait. We do travel internationally but a sheet, pillowcases and duvet cover doesn’t weigh much and it is so convenient.

1 Like

@PVGemini I’m just finishing a sit right now, and it’s a repeat sit for me. The first time was 3 days, and this time was for a week. This homeowner has the most extensive Welcome Guide I have ever seen - it could be used for training purposes. :rofl: She also stresses that she is a phone text away and basically ask anything. She’s excellent.

Here’s what her guide says on your topic: “I do not expect you to clean my home; I simply expect that you will clean up after yourselves.” Her home is really clean and I return it that way. Do I need to wash the floors, for example? I base it on that same principle - to return it as it looked when I arrived, and I gauge how much work I do accordingly. She does want the sheets washed and the bed remade, again because she wants the home returned the way she left it, and yes, that’s in the guide too. I find this give and take is ideal and respectful.

6 Likes

@ElsieDownie Learning the tip on the forum about the option to take your own sheets and other linens, I thought it was a great idea. The past two years I’ve only been doing sits where I have my car. I do take various towels and cloths that I will need, and it’s worked great as I wash them when I get home. I then ask about sheets and say I have double and queen sets. So far, each sit has had a king sized bed so my great plan hasn’t worked. :roll_eyes: Some day I may have to buy king-sized sheets. :smile:

1 Like

I completely agree with you. There is no relief from having to clean, even if the sit is only 2-3 nights. 2 big dogs running around the house and lying on the sofa creates quite a mess quickly! And two people using the bathroom and kitchen for 2-3 days means that basically you have to clean the entire rooms. So, for Owners who want a “free” petsitter for a weekend getaway, perhaps consider making a concession so that the Sitter does not have to spend a half day cleaning.

3 Likes

We recently did a 2 week sit and on the second to last day, I was texting with the homeowner and said something about the last day being reserved for cleaning. This lovely woman straight away texted back, “oh, don’t spoil your last day with cleaning - enjoy yourselves!” :hushed::heart_eyes:

We cleaned :rofl:

6 Likes

Yep. It’s a matter of pride with me. I like the house clean and tidy so they come home from their break with no stress. I always text them the day before and ask if they need any groceries bought as well. I’m a great believer in karma.

5 Likes