How are HouseSitters getting on with applying for UK sits?

I’m a new member so i don’t have experience of how things were pre covid. I’ve only applied for 2 UK house sits -both short term and quite close to me. Both had loads of applicants and I didn’t hear anything at all for weeks. Both then cancelled a day or two before the date of the sit. I’m not sure if this is the usual method for choosing a sitter ? If either of the HO had chosen me I would then of only had 24/48 hours notice. Obviously Covid has made things so difficult for everyone. I am just happy this forum has been created as its a great way to really see how the process works.

2 Likes

Hi @LizzyP welcome to the forum and welcome to our TrustedHousesitters community. COVID has presented everyone with challenges and TrustedHousesitters is no exception, in “normal” times owners and sitters are mostly confident that plans made will be able to come to fruition, unfortunately that doesn’t apply at the moment but we have every confidence that safe travel will return and out pet and housesitting lifestyles will once again resume in the way they did BC … that’s before COVID.

This really is the place for help and advice and to hear wonderful stories from shared experiences … thank you for being part of this great community, we can’t wait to share in your future experiences.

Angela & The Team

Thanks Katie, I don’t use the app, but perhaps I will have to.
I’ve only got a week to fill, early June so my requirements are fairly specific!

1 Like

Hi LIzzyP
I joined in 2018 and have found that in normal times the balance between HO and sitters is pretty equal or even a higher demand for sitters, right now however it seems there is an oversupply of sitters to available sits so HO can be swamped with applications and have a wider pool to select from.

I am a sitter and prefer it when HO post their sit several months ahead, it really does enable a relationship to develop early on and helps planning your travels, whenever possible I normally visit the HO if its on my route for other sittings or if I happen to be in the area. I also visit previous sittings when possible to say Hi and have a cuppa… its a great way to get to know people better when sometimes you only meet them for a few minutes pre-sit

A well presented profile and early videochat is essential in the early stages of any application.

3 Likes

It’s getting much better now. We are almost booked up till September with a free day here and there. Lots of return visits which we prefer. But itchy feet are starting again, need to see the sun. Southern Europe and the Caribbean are calling our names. Can’t wait till the world opens again.
Elsie

3 Likes

That’s good to hear - thanks for the update! I took a quick look online and there are hundreds of sit listings in the UK now which is great to see.

1 Like

We are brand new with no reviews but have managed to book 4, consecutive one-month bookings starting in a couple of days. We are hoping to do this full time so are really motivated by our response/good luck so far.
In my limited experience, I would say if you have any niche interests, hobbies or lifestyle choices mention them in your application . I mention that I am vegetarian and one HO told me that was why she booked me! Also for your rejections always send a thank you response and “dont hesitate to get in touch should your chosen sit fall through” - This already worked for me! The sit we start on Thursday we were originally rejected for , then a week later the HO got back to me saying his original choice had cancelled.

5 Likes

That is great news @Colin
Referring to the rejections I think it depends on how friendly the message is and I agree with your stance if you receive a friendly rejection.
I am interested in what you would do if you don’t receive a message but just the automated Decline notification?

1 Like

Hi Colin, congratulations and what excellent advice from a very new “newbie” thank you for sharing, you are an inspiration for other new sitters who may not have any reviews.

What great communication skills, crafting a tailored application is so important and can set you above the other applicants and responding to an owner’s friendly message, even if it is a rejection can reap rewards, as you have discovered.

It’s about being personable, finding your own way to connect with owners and showing a genuine desire to be the right sitter for their pet’s needs and their home, well done and do let the community know how your first sit goes.

Good luck and enjoy!

A good point. I can’t imagine anyone writing a rejection that was not polite & friendly but that might just be the novice in me. If I get no message then i just leave it. If a HO can’t be bothered to send a quick “Thanks but no thanks” then I probably wouldn’t want to sit for them anyway.

4 Likes

The no response scenario has actually been very common in recent months and I think HO who have treated sitters in that way may find themselves at a loose end, sitters are now definitely getting more opportunities to be selective.

1 Like

I was rejected for a sit last week, and even today, my application is still unread! I applied a good 24 hours before the auto-rejection came through. I find this incredible, especially when I was one of only fewer than three applications. Is i5 asking too much that a HO messages the (max 2 unsuccessful) applicants? I’ve sent a message which reads: ‘Can I just confirm that I have been rejected without my application having been read?’. To date, still no response.

Was it in Brighton per chance?

We have found it difficult to get sits - at the moment they all seem to be over subscribed - not enough sits and too many sitters but hopefully things will balance out soon so long as Covid things continue to improve.

1 Like

No, this was a HO in Kettering.

1 Like

I delete and mark them up as ‘Never again will I waste my time …’

1 Like

Imagine my smugness when yesterday mid morning, a message came through: ‘I’ve been let down. Sorry I didn’t see your message. My phone was playing up. Are you now available please?’
Response: ‘ Sorry, just about to set off for four days house sit in the West Country’.

3 Likes