Off lead / on lead

Hello. I am respectful of the differing opinions being voiced here. I am one to only walk a dog on-lead (referred to as ‘leash’ in Canada). I am an experienced sitter, but I am not willing to believe that animals will act the same with their sitters as they do with their owners. That’s my comfort level, and I keep that in mind when selecting sits or discussing a sit with a homeowner, before being offered a sit.

However, my main point here is that I do not let a dog off-lead as I know of people who are deathly afraid of dogs. Any amount of ‘don’t worry’, ‘they won’t hurt you’ etc. is not consoling to those who fear dogs. My walking partner where I live has that fear. Recently I stopped to chat to someone along our way about their dog, but I warned my friend that I was stopping. She then distanced herself, even though the dog was on a lead. I think it’s important that we keep in mind that not everyone whose paths we cross is a dog lover.

5 Likes

Thank you for your input, it’s given me the confidence to stand by what I believe is right despite the owner saying their recall is good, it might be for them! Also a very valid point about others not being comfortable with dogs and we should respect that.
Many thanks

1 Like

@Snowbird that is a very good point. Equally not every dog is happy around other dogs, and it can be quite threatening for a nervous dog on a lead / leash to be approached by an unleashed dog. If we are walking dogs off lead and see another dog approaching we would put our dogs on a lead. We have also sat for nervous / reactive dogs. We would always keep them on a lead and move away to avoid other dogs approaching. If the other dog is not on a lead it can be much harder to keep our distance.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with your points. I saw many reasons to have concerns about off-lead. I’ve also experienced homeowners who enjoy taking their dogs to a dog park every day. Much of that, for them, is just as much the daily social interaction with the owners as it is for the dog’s benefit.

I prefer not to visit dog parks as I have seen unfortunate incidences, where owners (not THS) were surprised by the pack mentality that sometimes happens.

When someone’s dog is in my care, I assess all options and err on the side of safety, even if it might be overly cautious. When the owner returns, they can return to their off-lead and dog park activities.

1 Like

Has anyone come across the tracking devices some dog parents use? Brilliant piece of kit especially on large fast dogs. It uses an app which has to be downloaded onto your phone. You know where the dogs are and can tack them. It doesn’t help to stop them being naughty when they are off their leaped but it sure gives you peace of mind they are still out there and moving.
The best bit of advice I ever got from a dog parent was to stay where you are. The dog will come back to where they last saw you. Nerve wracking but it works. Although you do feel guilty when the pointer reappears with blood on its nuzzle. Some poor little animal lives no more.

Oh wow, that sounds challenging. I feel more comfortable keeping them in the lead, I’d prefer that than having to phone the owner saying her dog was missing or something happened. It’s only 3 days. Many thanks for your feedback.

Hi sat0763, I am a HO and I always say that it is entirely up to the sitters to decide whether they are happy to let our dogs off lead, I would never put pressure on anyone to let them off if they are not happy to do so…… We seldom go away for longer than a week without the dogs and they can survive on lead and in the garden for that long. Also we have a lurcher amongst our pack and whilst she is very used to being off lead with us you always have to keep in mind that she is a hunting dog first and foremost and I always advise sitters to ensure they are in a fully enclosed area if they are going to let her run.

1 Like

Homeowners should state in the Welcome Guide whether is is legally permitted to have a dog off-leash/lead in their area. In Dallas, for example, it is illegal in most public places, including parks (except dog parks, obviously). I don’t have a dog, but people letting dogs run free when they are walking is a frequent complaint on social media here (along with “I saw a strange man on the street” “Was that gunshots or fireworks?” “My Amazon delivery was stolen from my porch” etc!)

1 Like

I agree with @Lassie “Homeowners should state in the Welcome Guide whether it is legally permitted to have a dog off-leash/lead in their area.”

In Florida, leash laws are enforced by most of our 67 counties. There is always a risk associated with walking a dog without a leash. What if the dog bites another dog or person? Florida has specific laws that will hold a dog owner strictly liable for a dog bite resulting in injury. The homeowner can say “my dog has never bitten anyone before.” The law does not care. The HO will be liable and there is no requirement that the HO knew or should have known of the dangerous / aggressive nature of the dog prior to attack on another person or dog.

2 Likes