Sitter dislike Smart Home Devices

My problem with smart devices is they don’t understand me. I have a very thick Northern Scottish accent and no matter how “posh” I try to be they won’t recognise my commands. So, I either live in the dark or use the switch.

2 Likes

There’s enough to remember coming in to someone’s home without having to remember commands for smart devices. I’d rather control my own environment instead of the smart devices taking over thanks. I’d pull the plug on them if they didn’t work out for me.

1 Like

I didn’t know this or really looked into it. On my first house sit, it was my first time using Alexa, and I got so excited that I used it pretty often - mostly with Spotify music.

3 Likes

When the Alexa alarm went off at 4:30 a.m. the first morning of the sit , it was “alarming” and the HO had not mentioned it. Not having Alexa at home, I was at a loss as to what to do as it would not turn off on voice command. Finally unplugged it. Same with the NPR that came on the kitchen Alexa. Smart devices are now on the pre-sit list of questions for any HO. Not all of us are tech savvy or want to learn to handle the electronics - our focus is to learn the pets and home responsibilities.

7 Likes

I’m going against the flow on this. We’re on day 3 of a great sit, lovely dog & very nice house. It’s going fine but, unlike when I’m at home, I have to turn on numerous light switches in the evening (it’s a big house) and I find myself frequently asking Alexa, play the radio, dim the lights, turn up the volume….but there’s no Alexa here! :joy:

1 Like

@Saltrams Alexa is on her Christmas break - tag, you’re it!

1 Like

Maybe have a specific conversation around it next time, but you never know that until something like this happens. As a sitter, I don’t like lights on timers and/or google/ Amazon things on but I can tolerate. The lights though are the worst because they can disrupt a persons sleep and they make it so I can’t enjoy the night sky and the atmosphere of a place. Some people like to stay away from technology. I’ve been in homes with all of it and that’s my opinion. The Amazon Alexa and google things I can live with but it’s not my preference.

1 Like

I just experimented and learned that I can use an Alexa if they have it programmed to allow a guest user. I’ve never used one in my life. Kinda nice to be able to play music but personally a Bluetooth speaker would have been better. Anyway now I hope it didn’t mess up their Alexa :rofl:

I would not unplug any devices unless I thought there was immediate danger and then I would contact the owners. I think what this sitter did was quite strange if they knew about it in advance. One exception for me is the plug in air perfume things that spray out at you. I do seitch them off our take them out but I plug back in for the owners return.

2 Likes

On a recent sit we unplugged (& covered up)an internal camera we discovered as it was actively monitoring and this is against THS policy. We were not informed of it by the hosts so had no quarms in unplugging it.
And sometimes we unplug Alexa…

2 Likes

Yeah, a camera is an altogether other level. I wouldn’t be happy about that! Did you ask the owners about it?

1 Like

@Lokstar You could also tell members services, as well, so they can inform the homeowners that no interior cameras or audio devices are enabled.

1 Like

I personally don’t like technology and am irritated by gadgets that beep any time I go near them. Just my personal opinion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was on a fairly long sit near a military base. The HO’s Alexa was set with THREE daily alarms.

The first was set for 7:00 am and it was a recording of a trumpet playing “revellie” on every single smart-speaker in the house. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r5Ieh0OuQY

Then, “Retreat” at 5:00 pm… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fgDxAASI_c

and finally, “Taps” at 9:00 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_M5h0U3dng

Three times a day, every day, for the first week. And it was EVERYWHERE and loud, so each time it scared the :poop: out of me. I never said anything, though, but eventually, the HO must have remembered and stopped them.

1 Like

And you never spoke to them about it?! Oh my word, I’d have been on the phone to them the second my heart rate had climbed down from the ceiling! :smile:

1 Like

Sitters, we have an older Alexa in our home which is disabled for video or audio connections but my husband does use them for the lights and his “reminders”.

Which means… that I am often surprised by them. :slight_smile: And I live here! :rofl:

He turns them off when we travel but sometimes he forgets one.

We urge all sitters to contact us immediately if we forget one.

My outdoor lights are on timers for safety and convenience, and I wouldn’t want the sitters to change that. I also have Alexa and I don’t care if they unplug them. About half sitters have done just that and I’m ok with that.

Hi @Sunshine_G thank you for contributing to the discussion and on the back of your comment considering this is a thread about technology, we believe that it’s worth including a reminder of TrustedHousesitters Camera/Recording Devices Policy …

** All internal devices must be declared and deactivated while a sitter is present in the home.

1 Like

Thanks, Angela. Do HOs see this sort of info when they’re setting up their listing, or would they have to hunt for it?

HOs see this message: “You must disclose if your property has any external cameras or recording devices. All internal devices must be deactivated during a sit. Read our policy

In my experience, they don’t always care to pay attention to this policy, so it’s always worth asking about it during your pre-sit chat.

1 Like