Sitters with no regular home

Thanks so much! Where is home? I don’t mean tell me where you actually live, but how do you have a physical home residence for official documents, jobs, banks, etc. Some places just will not accept a PO box. Also, I would really be interested in trying out the nomad life, at least for 6 months of the year or so. I am looking to find remote work at a decent pay, but a lot of the better paying jobs require degrees or lots of experience in related fields. Any hints? I find the idea of a travel blog both fascinating and repugnant. fascinating because part of me is a storyteller, repugnant because privacy is one of my core values. I am sure there has to be something I am a fit for. Just starting the search these last couple months. I need a career change.

CC seems to manage on a shoestring so I’m sure she’ll have some good suggestions for you :blush:

1 Like

What is your background and skill set?

For example, do you speak more than one language? If so, you can work as a tutor and make your own hours on a platform like italki (you can do this as an English tutor, too, if that’s the only language you speak!).

Did you work in retail, hospitality, etc. in any management capacity? I’ve know restaurant managers who make the transition from that to (software) project management.

The possibilities for remote work are vast, but we need to know more about you to provide any reasonably helpful advice!

1 Like

I have over a decade’s experience in the medical field. I am a phlebotomist/lab assistant. I have also done medical billing briefly, retail (clerk/stocking), drafting with CAD, caregiving, day care, janitorial, housecleaning. I speak English well and previously volunteered as a teacher’s assistant at a local community college ESL class. I speak rudimentary Spanish. I read extensively, hobbies include cycling, opportunistic photography, and an interest in psychology. And of course, house sitting/ pet sitting!

Regarding a few practical considerations:

1. Yes, I found it difficult to deal with the “no home base” issue as it relates to taxation, getting mail, etc.
  2. As a freelancer for three years, clients were sending me 1099s, so no one cared where I was at any given time, as long as I was available when needed.
  3. As a full-time employee, however, I have to work from my home and with a home-office all set up and secure. If I spend a few weeks elsewhere, I need to get permission.
  4. My employer is not demanding that people return to the office full-time. They are demanding that people stay in the United States except for short stints. There are tax and business registration issues that a US-based employer would face otherwise.

I use my mom’s address. For remote work, tech is probably the best for income levels, but writing, online marketing, teaching english, etc. are all options. I am a project manager who moved into tech. But I fall under teh lots of experience category. I would not bank on making enough from a blog to fund yourself without a LOT of work and really impressive writing and photography skills OR some kind of twist to your travels that fills a void in a niche market. Travel blogs are a dime a dozen.

Medical billing should be able to translate to remote, as should CAD drafting. Physical jobs aren’t possible internationally but maybe you could do the traveling nurse thing in the US? do they have that for Phlebotomists?

I have also done medical billing briefly

I’ve met people who do medical billing remotely; however, I believe Americans are more restricted with that because of HIPAA (?) rules (I’m not American).

caregiving, day care, janitorial, housecleaning

It would be difficult to work legally at these things internationally, but you might find something like work away (workaway dot info) or wwoofing (wwoof dot net) to be a good fit for you as another option in addition to housesitting. You could also do a stint as a nanny and see if you like it. Some nanny jobs are pretty sweet! But others, not so much, so be careful.

I speak English well and previously volunteered as a teacher’s assistant at a local community college ESL class.

Becoming a tutor is definitely an option. You can do it on a site like italki where you are in complete control, or if you want someone else to handle things and are willing to lose some ability to control your schedule, you could look at companies that find students for you, like Dave’s ESL Cafe (eslcafe dot com).

2 Likes

I absolutely disagree with whoever told you that! We have been doing this for 8 years and we have no home and have never used it as an accommodation finder and to say that about people on this site is a shame! If we are not housesitting for whatever reason we will make other plans.

if anything people without a home are more flexible!

We do it because we love pets love travelling and getting to know (and make great friends with) lots of people.

5 Likes

Hi @heathcan If you use the key word ‘nomad’ in the search spyglass, you’ll see relevant posts, for example:

Sitters with no regular home

Here’s another post on remote work ideas

@heathcan I have a good friend who is in medical billing. Her job is fully remote and she has been hopping around the country. She lived in Oregon, California and is now Austin, Texas.
My recommendation is joining LinkedIn (it’s free) and creating a professional profile with all your education and experience. I did a quick search and there are over 2000+ remote positions for medical billing. You can apply directly from the platform and also recruiters will reach directly to you and recruit you.

Good suggestion. I have a LinkedIn profile and have been starting my search there. Thanks.

Thanks. Still trying to figure out the right search parameters. I think I’ll be digging for a bit. I appreciate all the suggestions.

I already have a pretty nice home office setup, and I live alone so keeping things secure is a lot easier. I am really hoping to find something that clicks with that. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into it.

Travel phlebotomist are a whole different ball of wax. They do have such a thing. It is basically going around with a blood donation van, not what I want to do. I actually want out of direct patient care. My CAD experience is old, and I don’t have a degree or certification of any kind. I would have to be trained again. My only advantage there is I like the mental work, and I have some familiarity with the software. It’s changed a lot in 20 years.

Thanks. No, I did not consider blogging a serious change of career. It does seem like they are a dime a dozen. And I don’t have the super impressive writing or photography skills, ha.

They’re are some awesome replies here, and like many I do this because I love animals. I partially retired last year because I wanted to pursue a more fluid and alternative lifestyle. I’ve spent the majority of this winter on sits, yet have been staying close to my home territory. I too would disregard the negative comments that were made, as I’ve found there are some incredible and loyal sitters who just love animals. You can definitely gain a lot of perspective by reading individual reviews. I’m so grateful for this site and the opportunities it has presented to me and excited about my future sits :paw_prints::paw_prints::dog::dog::cat::cat:

4 Likes

Exactly :clap::clap::clap::clap:

I agree with @Fionabarton1970. I am on my own and travelling and looking after pets is so rewarding as I get to look after wonderful pets and they are the most amazing companions. I feel I can help pets not to be taken out of their homes and be in their environment as well as reassure pet owners they can go on holiday having a quiet piece of mind :slight_smile:

3 Likes