TSA/Global Entry With No House

Does this global entry work for NZ passport holders? As we’re heading that way Oct/Nov 2022 & should we have to fly via LAX :frowning::face_vomiting::scream: (hope not to as they treated us poorly last time)would be great to save heaps of time.

Ta

On cbp.gov you’ll find the answer

Eligibility for Global Entry

Are You Eligible?

U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents and citizens of the following countries are eligible for Global Entry membership:

2 Likes

Thank you @Flora for taking the time to put this comprehensive list of official government links together… this is very much appreciated and will be helpful for many I’m sure!

(P.S. I have just amended on your behalf the cbp.com to cbp.gov )

2 Likes

We have just finished the online paperwork and have noted your experience. We will be flying into Los Angeles so hopefully we will get our interviews then.

Does anyone know if there is a global entry equivalent to enter Canada for UK citizens?

Just a small update on my GE process here in the US.
My conditional approval after online application came in within 24 hours but many places here are no longer scheduling interviews or are about 2 months out.
I had to reschedule to March and the time slot is only 15 minutes. Only need to bring passport and proof of residency, driver’s license or statement with current address.
My credit card reimbursement fee also came in about 4 days after applying.

1 Like

Just briefly (work is busy): I had TSA pre-check for 5 years. The interview process was fine/perfunctory. That was at IAD.

I am conditionally approved for Global Entry, but when I went to the interview, the agent treated me like I was trying to cross the southern border. I suspect I just got unlucky, but I would advise writing down every single address you’ve had in the past 10 years WITH DATES–AND every entry and exit date for every single trip you’ve taken out of the United States and WHY and with WHOM.

Not having a permanent address was an issue for this guy. He treated me like a con artist. On top of it all, this was very public, in an internal room with poor acoustics–all during covid. Woman across from me was interrogated over her marital status.

I walked out without my GE and am still traumatized and have not rescheduled.

@Katie I’m not so sure that it was just a case of you being unlucky. Note my earlier comment where I said it “was far more extensive than I had expected”. My husband and I were interviewed at the same time, by two separate employees. I remember walking out and we compared experiences and one was just as extensive as the other. I had had a permanent address in Canada for many years, at the time (and still do). On a positive note, looking back, I am grateful that they are so thorough.

Thank you for sharing your experience and sorry that you felt that way.

I remember the first time I was stopped by a land border patrol. I was terrified because I had fruit in my vehicle of all things, a small amount for personal consumption. Seeing all the warning signs on the road about the penalties for bringing in fruit had me nervous ( I also had some leftover pizza and had visions of them making me throw it out the window :joy:)
So I didn’t lie. The agent laughed at me and waved me on through. That was a long, long time ago.
I am from the bowels of New York City, born and raised, orphaned at age 12.
A LOT has happened since then including two IRS tax audits and a very, almost (too long) career working trauma care and labor and delivery across the country that led to 4 grueling depositions and interviewed by the FBI.
To add, I am grateful for all of that because now,
At this point in my life, It is safe to say I am not easily intimidated, especially not by a TSA agent.
I do appreciate your experience and I hope that you will someday move past it.

warm regards.

2 Likes

We learnt very early on never joke or back chat immigration or border control, basically any officials that can deny you entry into a country because they will. It’s up to the official that’s standing in front of you and if he’s having a bad day and you hit a nerve…bye bye.
I have dreamed of going to Cuba since I was 10. I was a babe in arms in 1961 and my mother was petrified that was the end. The place has fascinated me and I had the privilege of sailing there in 2019. If they told you to stand on one leg while reciting ode to a daft idol backwards you did it. Fascinating country. But I asked them not to stamp my passport. It depends where you enter US and who processes you through but there are so many stories of people being denied entry because they have a Cuba stamp in their passport.
I visited Turkey about 10 years ago. I got, and I don’t use this word lightly, interrogated in a small room for ten minutes in a Florida airport. Why? What was I doing there? Who was I with? Why did my husband not have a Turkish stamp in his passport? Eventually, they believed me that I was there for a sailing holiday and all I did was eat good food and drink lots of vodka. I didn’t tell them it was Russian and almost 80% proof.
Yes, it sometimes can be hit or miss entering countries and it’s better to follow all the rules, don’t be a smarty pants and smile.

1 Like

New Zealand at this time does not have global entry. Australia is presently in a trial stage but not fully operational at this time.

Hi Perfection: Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check are airport security-related programs that United States citizens and residents can apply for to avoid longer security lines and removing shoes and taking laptops out of bags. :slight_smile: Canada’s equivalent is Nexus.

It’s a topic relevant to background checks.

haha, it took me 33 entries before my brain stopped automatically inserting “General Electric” every time I read “GE.”

I have Global Entry, and my memory of the application process and interview was that it was quite extensive. I am grateful for that thoroughness, but understand it could be quite traumatizing. My husband doesn’t travel internationally as often as I do, so he just got TSA Pre-Check. That has worked perfectly for him and his needs. We have a trip this June to Amsterdam and LIsbon, so it will be interesting to see whether we have different experiences at the various border crossings.

@ElsieDownie, I have been fortunate to visit Cuba twice, both times on academic visas to study Afro-Cuban culture and dance. I knew I was taking a risk having my passport stamped, but I embraced it.

Keep us informed, please, on how your process goes/went, @AnnieNai