Until what age do you plan to sit?

Agreed @PVGemini

We are 62/65 year olds and have been very pleased by all (young/old) homeowners that we’ve encountered and sat for, on THS. I believe that 80% of our sits have been and will be for folks quite a bit younger than us, and actually younger than our 40/43 year old children. One never knows the thought process potential HOs go through in choosing a sitter. I say go for it, and you may be pleasantly surprised. If it’s meant to be, it will happen.

3 Likes

I apply for anything that looks like fun to me. My first sit was for a couple in their 30’s.

2 Likes

I am 70 and have only ever sat for cats with maybe a hamster, hens, guinea pigs and fish thrown in as well. Most of the HOs are probably in their 50-70s but there has been a good number of younger ones too. I seem to be accepted for most sits I apply for based on 50+ 5* reviews and HOs saying how much they like my profile. I still work online part time, have sits booked well into next summer and intend to keep going until I realise that it’s no longer feasible. Age is only a number - go for it!

6 Likes

This answer! It’s all true. Being single and older (with great reviews and references) counts for a lot. As one HO said, I leave a smaller footprint on the house, too. She’ll only apply for those sits that fit her specific qualifications. And sometimes you can read between the lines of the profile and ask your more detailed questions in the application or in a personal conversation.

1 Like

I’m 74, fully booked for this year. I also have lots of repeat bookings for next year. I’ve been house sitting for 4 years and I’ve never had a problem. I don’t apply for any house sits that wouldn’t suit my capabilities. I don’t mow lawns. People like mature house sitters. I house sit mainly in Australia but I have house sat in Thailand, Vietnam and the UK. Covid has kept me in Aust.
Raye

6 Likes

I am 67 started at 62 just “to see”. I didn’t think this was for me, actually thought I was too old and no one would want me. Been nomadic ever since and I am turning down people, even wonderful people in wonderful places that I absolutely love. I have changed and continue to change and adapt. Now I am stepping out into a new country in another hemisphere where I know I will face new challenges. Bring it!
I am aware of the things I feel I cannot do and then surprise myself at what I find I can actually do.
So as someone said in another post, How long is a string? and what can I do with it?

11 Likes

I am 74 and except for a couple of weeks, I am fully booked for 2023. While I remain fit and healthy and people still choose me, I am house sitting. I love it. It is one ‘job’ where older people are valued.

10 Likes

At 57 and 66 years old my husband and I received the only rejection we had ever had, by a young couple (mid-late 20s) in an apartment in Rome. No communication, just an auto-rejection.
Lacking any evidence to the contrary, we suspected it was a generation issue.

1 Like

Hi, I am over 65 and plan to sit indefinitely. I am fit and energetic and still happy to walk all day with a dog if they are up to it. Have had some lovely all day coastal walks with doggyy companions, who have even come in swimming with me. Have also walked miles over moors and through woods, as well as clambering over rocky tors. I am still receiving requests from owners for me to sit for them, so age has not been a barrier so far. I would hope that there would not be a time when I am turned down due to age, especially if still feeling, fit, healthy and active., and quite capable to look after mutiple pets, as I have done so far.

6 Likes

I only knew about THS in February and promptly subscribed. I celebrated my 60th birthday in March on my first house sit in Albion Park, Australia. And just ended a 5months away in Scotland, England and Belgium. Will go to South Korea for Christmas sit and Singapore for Chinese New Year.

What was intended as a year long sojourn to celebrate being 60, will continue to be another solo traveling adventure / house sitting for this person. Until when? As long as I am able.

9 Likes

Wow! - Only one ever rejection! - That is really impressive - I stopped counting at 100 :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

It’s true but we aren’t nearly as busy as you. It’s all relative :slightly_smiling_face:

For me, it’s not about the age at all; it’s about my financial situation. I mean, I want to get to a point where renting a spacious beautiful modern home for weeks or months (or years!!) at a time would be nothing to worry about for me. I like to care for animals, sure, and I’m good at it. I just don’t want that to be a necessary exchange for me to stay in a place I love, for as long as I live. Of course, since I do enjoy other people’s pets, I may still do it occasionally for the joy of it even if I had billions of dollars. :grinning:

2 Likes

Fabulous. I am 63 and dying to get started and also in Australia. Well done Anne. Sounds wonderful, Deborah

4 Likes

I hope you become that billionaire :+1:. But what I love (and excites me) is the experience of going furthest with the least amount of money. It amazes me that I was spending much less on the road than when I am at home. As long as that thrill remains I will continue too.

5 Likes