Where SHOULD sitters be asking "important" questions to get answers?

So as a seasoned and experienced sitter, what can you do about it? it seems that in nearly everything you contribute you have had a negative experience. Something just seems off. Perhaps revisit your questions. Look to see where you might be missing an important piece that will help you avoid these recurring situations.
You have shared in other threads that you are a long time sitter, that you actually have lifetime membership to THS, that you have chosen not to be verified, how dissatisfied you are in with many of your sits and are now limited in your functionalities on the site and perhaps, I imagine this also places limitations on the quality of sits you may attracting and/or applying for through other avenues.

With all your experience, I also am willing to bet you have a wealth of valuable information that could help others who are new to home and pet sitting.

Just some food for thought.

7 Likes

Nobody said that bad experiences should not be shared. Far from it. It’s the repeated posting and the expectation that a quick solution (whichever this may be) has to be found, which causes the negativity.

3 Likes

You have no idea how much I’ve contributed already good and bad. I’ve have had 1-2 hour long phone conversations with staff years ago giving lots of helpful suggestions, some even taken on board. I’ve written a piece for their blog, and I have also referred 19+ paid up members. Please don’t assume you know what I have and haven’t contributed based on this forum alone.

I am honestly quite shocked at some of the responses here.

My issue is that these situations are not so rare anymore, and in highlighting this I feel it should be paramount that TH figures a solution soon so that they don’t lose members over this, as smiling there’s no real protocol their end for these types of occurrences, other than pointing the finger at the HO for not doing their due diligence before accepting the sit.

The disparity between the website and the mobile platform where you can see reviews that have not been left is a huge issue in these cases.

There ARE simple fixes that could be implemented very quickly, but they are not.

3 Likes

As @Snowbird already wrote several times, if you feel unheard and that your helpful suggestions and quick solutions aren’t heeded, maybe then this site isn’t the one you should use.

It might even be that there are more negative experiences now than before, but I actually doubt it. The forum is just about one year old and before nobody was able to share any experiences, negative or positive, so how would you even know?

6 Likes

Just want you to know that I do my research. I have seen your blog post in THS, your Instagram and your THS profile. Not because I’m nosy but because I look at the source to better understand.
This is why I chose to address this. I see that you have value to contribute to the community, to the other members who are seeking guidance. You can be such a positive influence to them.Instead of trying to force change in the company create change within its members to improve future outcomes.

2 Likes

You made all valid, solid and legitimate points here. One :clap: wasn’t enough so :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

I will break that statement down into two sections:

My issue is …
… these situations are not so rare anymore

If you are saying that they are your issues - as opposed to speaking for the whole THS community - then you are experienced enough to know that you need to revisit your processes for approving your selections. Those here who complain about multiple unsatisfactory sits need to take ownership of being part of their own problem. I have had one sit that would receive a low score on cleanliness (but far from unsafe), but I was aware of the red flags and, given the location (my #1 choice) and perks that went with it (vehicle, not money), I was ready to compromise and I adapted. When sitters say they’ve been lucky so far, I don’t put it down to luck; I credit their screening skills.

If by saying, “these situations are not so rare anymore” you are making a statement about the THS community as a whole, then there is no way you have sufficient data to support such a damaging statement. Given the ratio of THS membership to forum membership, even referring to situations mentioned here is not sufficient data. No THS member has access to data to support such a claim.

In my opinion, forum members need to be wary of making statements without having solid data to support them. It poisons an environment that is meant to be productive.

Clare, please don’t waste your time responding to my entry to this post as there is nothing you can say that will change my mind on this point.

10 Likes

Oh my I would run for the hills. However I have been at a house sit everything was new and spotless they were very particular but I wasn’t very relaxed scared to death in case I left a mark anywhere.

1 Like

Oh dear, this is a terrible analogy :rofl::joy::sweat_smile::joy::rofl:

If it was just a date, I would not have spent 6 hrs traveling to his house (or perhaps his house is in a different country?), and expected to spend the next two weeks living in his house.

What kind of dates are you going on :astonished::grin:

I’ve been married for over 25 years, maybe this is what dating is like now? Hahaha I hope you are laughing with me, because wow.

I’ve been to a house like that too… The house was immaculate and everything was crystal or otherwise fragile… but the cats didn’t use their PRISTINE litter box and I stepped in pee and poo camouflaged by rugs when walking in the kitchen. Yeah, no, i didn’t include it on the review. Sorry for your socks, whoever goes there next, LOL.

I stick to my knowledge of this, as well as a former easy coding suggestion that everyone at the company raved about years ago when I mentioned it, yet still not implemented which is sitters having the ability to make custom URL’s (as LinkedIn and other sites do)

TrustedHousesitters. com / claresitsdogs

For instance. This way sitters could have this printed on their own business cards, and it’s something easy to revert to people in conversation (I meet many interested people with pets in parks) or emails or any marketing for the company… Not as is my current profile URL of:

“https:// www.trustedhousesitters .com/house-and-pet-sitters/united-kingdom/england/sevenoaks/l/xxxxxx/“

It’s simple coding, it doesn’t take years. Believe me!

(Moderation - Post links edited with spaces to prevent linking to non-existent pages. VA)

1 Like

How do you know anybody but you would want this?

2 Likes

If I understand you correctly, you have included in your post a URL to what you have said is your current profile. Forum policy stipulates that members may only embed links to their profiles in the usernames and not in a post. Further, the link, as you have displayed it, does not link to an active page.

Please delete this link entry.

Thank you,

Francine,
Voluntary Forum Moderator
Tagged: @Angela_L

1 Like

Been there. I put everything I wouldn’t use in cupboards (after taking photos of precise layouts). I walked around on egg shells and drove my husband batty cleaning up as we went and insisting things were put away properly and hung up.
But yet again, the dogs were brilliant.

Believe it (or likely not, as when I say black you tend to say white) I am friends with many other TH sitters outside of this forum and have meets ups and other social events etc., it’s been hailed by many as a good idea.

While waiting for that change if I’m out chatting to a person I meet and they would like to use my services, instead of me jotting down my custom url to a potential new TH member (as I can’t), I’m just giving them my phone number and then directly booking them (and in many cases also as I can, charge them). Just a simple observation where TH is losing potential revenue. But hey ho, just more negativity on my part I suppose.

1 Like

I would suggest to set up your own website. There you can post exactly the same as in your profile.

2 Likes

Yes that would be an idea and likely I will as I’ve many regular clients that are happy to pay for my service, but you’ve failed to realise the point I was making.

Edited with xxxxxx

2 Likes

Oh I didn’t miss the point you were making. I chose not to address it.

2 Likes

I haven’t been on a sit yet, just learning the ropes. But I do have a friend like this that I pet sit for and I agree that it can make you very uncomfortable in the home (even in a friend’s home!!). In this friend’s home I don’t even sleep in the bed, I stay on the couch no matter how many days it is, because there is a particular way to take off the duvet and fold it and where it goes and it needs to be put back every day nice and neat and… Taking the dogs out requires hands and knees wiping the entry way with Murphy’s oil soap when you come in so that no dirt is on the floor, wants dog’s behinds wiped, only certain glasses and plates can be used, etc, etc.

I have sat for this friend multiple times and I love her dearly but as of March I told her it would be my last sit for at least a while because I needed a break (from that level of perfection in the home that I felt I couldn’t even exist in without making something “dirty”).

That is a sit I would skip for sure if I got that vibe from the HO.

4 Likes