Who is responsible for consumables during a sit?

@JustP I appreciate your perspective from experience. (WOW! 10 years full time!!) I feel like as sitters we definitely are providing a service that could otherwise be quite cost prohibitive for folks who love to travel AND love their pets and their homes. I have been fortunate to sit for travellers who appreciate the care I give and have never tried to take advantage. Housesitting/Petsitting…win.win.win. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So a coffee break note.
My coffee arrived and they are whole beans!
A quick Google search because I know that coffee grinding was a thing before electricity and fancy gadgets.
Them beauties will be ground and savored all the more. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I want to provide everything for my sitters. I do not want then to spend any money while they are at my house. I make sure i have all dry goods fully stocked and i ask what they like to eat. If i have time before my trip i will make a batch of scones our cookies or something and i tell them to please help me purge my fridge and freezers. If there is anything i am saving for an occasion i will mark it “saved” …otherwise its all fair game and make themselves at home. I make my car available if they need one as well. Im so grateful that someone will take care of my poochies with lots of love that i want to do something nice for them.

17 Likes

Thank you on behalf of your sitters. You are like many of the wonderful people I have met since I began this journey in 2018.
Though not required or expected, it is part of the magic That restored my faith in humanity.
All the best.

3 Likes

@Javadee You are incredibly thoughtful and kind. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Hello @Javadee and welcome back to the forum, it’s been a while we hope you have been keeping well.

Thank you for being in our community and for the genuine kindness and caring shown when preparing for your pooches sitters.

I imagine everyone has a wonderful time.

I consider the lovers of my pets as thoughtful, kind and considerate. My dogs mean everything to me so to have them happy, loved and cared for so that i can do what i need to do is a blessing beyond belief! I love sharing my cozy home and my fur babies.

3 Likes

I sure hope so! The sitters help so much in relieving the guilt of not being able to take my babes with me.

4 Likes

Tough sit :joy:

1 Like

I let the homeowner take the lead on what they offer. Spices, condiments, etc. haven’t been an issue, although my personal philosophy is that I replace whatever I use up. Even if they didn’t leave me that much. For example, I used the last 2 feet of aluminum foil and I replaced it. I bought a small roll, I used what I needed, and left the rest for them. I don’t expect the HO to check to make sure I have enough of something like that.

I did sit for one homeowner who supplied a certain number of rolls of toilet paper and expected us to buy anything beyond that. It was a reasonable amount and turned out to be enough. However, it was in Europe in a smaller condo without a lot of storage space. Those types of supplies were expensive compared to buying it in the US.

I never eat food without them offering it to me first. I finished a bottle of wine on their invitation as it was opened and they were gone for almost three weeks.

Bottom line - I don’t use or touch anything without the homeowner’s permission. We have each other’s contact number so can text if any questions come up. I also like to make a meal for them when they return and offer to pick up things from the grocery store for them.

I have enjoyed the sits and feel it is the least I can do to help out the homeowner.

5 Likes

I replace anything that I finish off like toilet paper, kitchen roll, etc. On UK sits I take all my own eco-friendly cleaning stuff with me and use just those. I replace any food or drink that’s been left and that I actually use, e.g. fruit, veggies, stuff in the fridge, etc. I don’t replace any veggies or anything else that I’ve had to throw out without using. I always have my own supply of food, including salt, pepper and oil, etc. with me. This is obviously only when I drive to sits - I just have bags of different supplies in the boot of the car. It’s different if I fly of course. I do still replace anything that I finish off but do rely more on what’s in the cupboards as regards staples like salt, pepper, etc.

3 Likes

I don’t expect my sitters to supply or replenish any of those things. I make sure there is plenty on hand

3 Likes

Agree Jodi, I would always top up items such as toilet paper, kitchen towels but if the sit is in a very rural location, not near stores, and good public transport and if the sitter is not using a car, the homeowner should be able to figure out that trying to carry lots of grocery items by public transport could be a challenge especially if the sitter flew in from abroad and has to limit what they are allowed by plane.

2 Likes

agree. most things people would list as staples i would never touch so it would just go to waste. i think if you want to buy stuff like that it’s best to ask first.

1 Like

What a wonderful generous HO you are @Javadee. We are in our early stages of sitting with having only done 6 sits with another 5 booked for this year. So we still get blown away (& a bit embarrassed) by an owners generosity. We had a video call last night with one of our UK owners who is offering to collect us from the station, car use, for us to come a day early (2 days before they leave) so we don’t have to pay for a night’s accommodation between sits and wanted to know do we drink red or white wine so they can get some in for us plus offered to have a friend bring around their classic car to show my husband as he’s a car nut. So generous! But then I would do the same if the roles were reversed so not sure why I felt a bit embarrassed :confused: Being hospitable, generous and kind to each other is the best way to go IMO.

7 Likes

Not entirely on topic, but I just saw a listing for a long-term sit where the HO says they’ll leave a supply of pet food, but it’s the sitter’s responsibility to supply more food when it runs out. Whaaaaat?! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Obviously we’re not going to stop feeding pets if the food runs out, but surely we’re not expected to pay for it as well? Is that normal?

2 Likes

I wonder what are they feeding? if it’s fresh food, then maybe they mean you have to go to the grocery store and buy more? They sell fresh stuff in “chub” packaging here (like ground meat packages) and it’s in a special refrigerated case.

Still, YEAH – that’s not coming out of my pocket without guaranteed reimbursement … preferably front me the cash in advance.

I’ve had HOs who make their own dog’s food (y’all, it smells like delicious stew, I’m impressed) but it’s pre-measured and frozen. just thaw and serve.

I’d buy more if it ran out as well as other supplies but just give them a heads up so they may get the picture for next time. We’ve been reimbursed so all good in the end.

1 Like

@LIQ Sitters would have to decide whether to apply for this sit or not. It would definitely be a question to raise in an application and/or video chat. As it is a lengthy sit, I would expect owners to leave sufficient money for the purchase of more food.

Maybe a quick message to clarify with the HO. Maybe they intended it a different way than they’ve expressed in their listing? :tipping_hand_woman:t3:

1 Like