Why is rating for cleanliness only for HS, not for HO?

I guess I don’t know how else to communicate some level of standard in cleanliness without using those as examples. I personally don’t ever expect hotel level of cleanliness but it would be a nice thing for the HO to do in order to set a precedent of what they expect when they come home and then the sitter can have a nice and clean space to start off with.
Maybe if there was an in dept education piece for everyone that was required before applying to or posting a sit, then some of the things that seem like common sense to some might get translated to others. Cleanliness and keeping tidy being amongst that education.

2 Likes

When applying for rural sits, sitters should anticipate a bit of dirt. There’s no excuse for greasy kitchens and full rubbish bins but here (in the mountains) be spiders and dust and woodstoves. Spider webs reappear after 3 days and dust clings to exposed stone walls. As a HO who has recently signed up with THS, I’m paying close attention to sitter comments about cleanliness. Last year a friend sat for us for a week — a guy who can’t sit still. He did a LOT of cleaning and repairing and every day he sent us photos of what he was accomplishing. Frankly, we were mortified! I’ve resolved that next time, a week before we leave I’m hiring someone to do a really deep clean of the kitchen.

6 Likes

But by not mentioning it, future sitters walk in blind to what you know is a dirty home? There has to be a fairer way to deal with this issue as it is becoming more and more common - and it just isn’t fair to the sitter :slightly_frowning_face:

Totally agree @TNadz - that’s why the blind review system is an improvement. It can be incredibly insulting to an HO who thinks they live in a perfectly comfortable house to then comment on their housekeeping standards when it is “grubby” in our opinion….(not gross as mentioned). Disgusting is a whole new debate and fortunately not one we’ve had to deal with #longmayitcontinue

Yes it is hard to know when you do the extra cleaning for a home owner if they will be pleased or mortified. Please don’t take offence I too find it hard to sit still and like it when there is a few extra things I can do that will hopefully really be appreciated. I’m never judging.

1 Like

Since it seems like the additional categories for rating HO’s still hasn’t been added to the review process for sitters (at least what I saw a couple weeks ago)…I’ll just say it again.

Since I don’t really know how else to communicate some level of standard in cleanliness without using airbnb or a hotel as examples, I think there needs to be some sort of standard expectation of what cleanliness and tidiness is appropriate for HO’s and sitters in this exchange. I personally don’t ever expect hotel level of cleanliness but it would be a nice thing for the HO to do in order to set a precedent of what they can expect when they come home and then the sitter can have a nice and clean space to start off with.
Maybe there should be an in dept education piece for everyone that was required before applying to or posting a sit, then some of the things that seem like common sense to some might get translated to others. Cleanliness and keeping tidy being amongst that education.

You can rate the HO and leave a feedback accordingly.

(edited by Forum team to meet Community Guidelines)

One of the best things about this forum is that every time I come in here and find sitter complaints about cleanliness, I think something like “Hm…how long has it been since I cleaned the silverware drawer?” I have a sitter coming in a week from now and after reading this one I literally just now pulled out all the silverware and stuck the holders into the dishwasher. :rofl:

8 Likes

I have been looking for some sittings for next long travels and have been looking at postings and reviews most days.
Recently I applied for a sitting where I was in doubt. This evening I’ve seen a review left by a sitter who stayed in the house just last week. For the first time I’m seeing a review with scores on five individual items including cleaninliness. It is this score that has confirmed my doubts and decided not to go ahead with the sitting.

6 Likes

I’m a new THS sitter and the kitchen was kind of grimy; greasy stove, microwave, counters, with random popcorn in drawers, dirty kitchen floor, etc. The house hadn’t been vacuumed in a bit but the bathroom was relatively clean, fresh linens on the bed, the place was also pretty tidy.

I want to rate correctly but also not affect the rating. From what I can tell, making it 4/5 stars for cleanliness doesn’t affect the overall rating which is what I was hoping for.

4 Likes

@FrogsMom, you determine the overall rating; it is not calculated by THS.

1 Like

So in @FrogsMom case, the sit is going to show as 5 stars and one would have to use a drop down menu to see the actual star rating per category?

I’ve not used the new rating system yet.

1 Like

@temba I think you are right! I remember pausing for a few hours as I wanted to think about what to do/say and forgot that it was I who made the overall rating. :crazy_face:

@HelloOutThere so I was looking at some new sits that popped up for me today and on the app I could see the individual ratings without having to click on anything else. The sit I saw it on is filled now so I can’t pull it up at all from my phone.

I checked my own review on the sit that I completed last week and I had to click on “read more” to finish reading my text and also see the individual ratings.

I may take some screenshots later when I have more time!

1 Like