Am I being tracked by an Air Tag?

the location map her showed as at McDonalds

HA! I just did a house-sit solo in another state, and got notifications that my credit card was used at Domino’s Pizza - twice in two weeks! BUSTED! Gotta give my poor husband a break, he never gets to eat “junk food” because I always cook and Domino’s is less than a mile from our studio.

1 Like

@Norfolk-whippets Caught eh? :laughing: That made me laugh this morning! We do a repeat sit in France (back in April again) to look after a rescued hunting dog who follows her nose rather than her owners and has eluded sitters, and the owners many times. She now wears a Tractive tracker on her collar (when outside) and I have to admit as sitters it gives us huge peace of mind too. We have the app uploaded on our phone and active when we are there, and thankfully haven’t had to use it to retrieve her, but it is a product we’ve recommended to several owners with escape artist dogs :slight_smile:

I love this!

1 Like

@ElsieDownie :heart_eyes:
I live in the old fashioned world and my home is controllable by a very smart me and can’t be hacked online :rofl:

2 Likes

Speechless !! did you have heating ? I’m not sure I would have stayed, that was an inhuman thing to do.

1 Like

We did a sit and were told that the dog had an Air Tag on the collar. It was not a big deal but I did feel like I was being monitored. There would be a noise each time the owner “pinged” the device, and since they were in a different time zone 6 hours ahead of me, this would occur at 4 am sometimes, waking me up. They also had cameras in the house, and I assume the occasional green light meant that it was “on.” This made me feel a bit uncomfortable. I was told that the camera in the living room was only used when the dog was left home alone. I have a question for those who know more about this newer technology: Some people have screens in the kitchen and bedroom. They look like iPads and are in a stand up holder to display the screen which has things like the current temperature and time displayed. Since iPads have cameras, is it possible for the owner to be watching me through this camera?

I have TILE brand tags - they are a whole different technology – on my keys, purse, computer bag and in my appointment book because I don’t want to leave wherever I am without them. They don’t ping unless I make them. Airtags are DIFFERENT.

AFAIK, there is a new “feature” that the ping noises come automatically every XX hours, so it might not be an HO-initiated thing.

The cameras, though, those are 100%= NO GO, and the homeowner should be reported to @Vanessa_A

The pings seemed at random times and not on a schedule.

OK i read a little more…

after what Apple calls an “extended period of time” away from its paired iPhone or iPad, which the company has disclosed elsewhere is three days, an AirTag makes a beep whenever it’s moved.

this seems to be a good article: How to find, block, and disable an AirTag that's tracking you | Macworld

The Terms and Conditions of TrustedHouseSitters’ Camera & Recording Devices Policy states that during a sit, no internal recording or monitoring devices can be enabled.

This has got to include airtags… since it’s a monitoring device… right?

Oh dear! Whenever it’s moved? It was on the dog’s collar which he wore constantly! We only heard a pinging type of noise (not a beep) a few times per day—random times. That is very interesting about the THS policy! Please confirm, someone from THS.

Here are the alert sounds (and an explanation) AirTag Sounds YOU MUST KNOW and RECOGNISE! - YouTube

2 Likes

@PVGemini Here’s the information from the website: Camera and Recording Devices Policy

Please direct message @Therese so that she can review the details of that sit with you.

Francine,
Voluntary Forum Moderator

Thank you!

Morning @MissChef and thank you for tagging. As @Snowbird indicates, there is a strict policy to which she has linked, and if the owner has breached these terms it is a case where this should be taken up with the membership services team. I can see Therese (MS) has been tagged so she will pick this up with you @PVGemini this morning when she comes online.

Hi @PVGemini I will email you directly from membership services.
Kind regards
Therese

1 Like

Whenever I see this headline, I get an earworm of Cat Stevens’ singing “I’m being followed by a moon shadow… moon shadow moon shadow.”

1 Like

Hah, me too!!!

1 Like

I just sat the most adorable small dog who had an air tag attached to his collar. We, the dog, and I, absolutely hated it due to the pinging. We hated being woken up at night. This caused a real problem for me as I have difficulties falling back to sleep. The dog hated being woken up from his naps during the day. It made him walk like a zombie looking for something completely confused.

I discussed it with the pet owner upon her arrival. Of course, she was not aware of the pining and the stress it caused us but once she understood it, she took the air tag off right away.

1 Like

If we’re saying that such devices aren’t allowed by policy (as per my other post), why doesn’t that bit get mentioned in this article:

Something we’ve never encountered has just been brought to light in a HO listing and we were wondering if anyone has ever experienced this:

"Must LOVE our animals and enjoy walking with them twice a day early morning and evening. We use an App to track daily walks. Walking X and Y twice a day (30 minutes) is essential. "

Just curious if other sitters have ever been (knowingly or unknowingly) tracked by an App or how this works?

There are other flags within the same listing, perhaps why only 4 days out and no applicants.