Are we all speaking the same English language? 😜😏

Thanks for sharing. Now if I could only remember which was which. I think the problem for me is they both make sense :roll_eyes:

1 Like

In the US, first floor is sometimes referred to as ground floor.

I like this chart. Would like to see more of them

Like this @Rebecca_R ?
American teaimage
English tea

:rofl::woman_shrugging:t2::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Yes, @Amparo :grinning:

And what about that Cockney rhyming slang? There’s absolutely no way I’m understanding any of that!

Just learned another one. The British term for a dog that has not been spayed or neutered is “an entire dog.” The American term is “an intact dog.”

1 Like

Some help there @Rebecca_R What is Cockney Rhyming Slang?

Cockney rhyming slang is a humorous slang first used by cockneys in the east end of London and now understood widely in London and throughout Britain.

It was invented in London in the 1840s by market traders, costermongers (sellers of fruit and vegetables from handcarts) and street hawkers. It was probably first used as a cant - a language designed to disguise what was being said from passers-by.

2 Likes

It must have worked… Because there’s no logical way to figure it out if you don’t know!

Thanks, @Angela_L

2 Likes

I never heard of either one!

After a big misunderstanding this morning, I feel like I should mention that the word “HO” is highly offensive in the US. It’s good to be aware of the context in which we use/interpret it. I know it means “homeowner” on this site, but it’s not the first word I think of and I cringe every time I use it.

That was a pretty crummy way to start my 70th birthday. So, now I’m going to go eat some cake for breakfast. :grinning:

1 Like

Happy Birthday and what a gift.

Everything we see, hear and feel is always subjective to one’s personal interpretation.

Understanding this makes life so much easier.

For me it’s always, “ah I see you” “OK”

Enjoy your cake :birthday: for breakfast.
It’s Okay!

Hope you have an incredible day.

2 Likes

From your forum community pals … Happy Birthday @Rebecca_R :birthday: :tada: :balloon:

3 Likes

@Amparo I try really hard to not make assumptions, but I’m not always successful.

Thank you for the birthday wishes! I’m hanging out with our mutual pals - Tracy, Bill, Gizzie, and Scooter - today.

1 Like

@Angela_L Thank you, Angela. I love being part of the TH community!

2 Likes

OMG :scream: you’re human!

Enjoy! You know they had many more cats 🐈‍⬛ back in the day :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

@Amparo yes, we are…and don’t I know it!

There are the 2 outdoor cats, Basil and Buttercup, and they get fed, too, so I’m getting plenty of cat time!

1 Like

Rebecca, this reminds me of a story from my life, but not on a housesit. When moving and clearing out my shed, I asked a male friend if he would like a ‘Dutch hoe’. Not knowing that it is the proper name for a common gardening tool (English is not his first language) he was shocked and said ABSOLUTELY NOT :scream: Seeing his reaction, I then explained, but he said he would NEVER refer to it that way, and didn’t even accept my offer of the free gardening tool. :rofl:

1 Like

@Snowbird Hilarious…and shocking! Thanks for the :joy: laugh!

2 Likes

I am American and I have no problem at all differentiating between HO, hoe and the slang word for a loose woman, a word I find personally objectionable.

HO on here is not actually a word, it is a term …Home Owner… shortened to initials…:kissing_heart:
Happy belated birthday :birthday: