Asking for phone and email before application?

I was invited to apply to a sit. I responded to the message and asked if they wanted to do a call/chat. They’re asking for my phone and email before setting something up. The reviews on this owner are positive but I’m wondering if this is normal to ask for personal contact info before chatting/scheduling?

It would seem a good plan to give them your what’s app and an email at any point from now on @J322 - some sitters send them when they first apply, all offer them if they want to call or video call so it sounds like a good next step. Maybe they want to send you some info or check you’re serious. You can ask for theirs too :+1:t3:

2 Likes

It is a very good idea for sitter and host to have a video call to discuss the sit before the sit is confirmed. This gives both parties an opportunity to ask questions and find out more about each other, the expectations for the sit and the care of the pet .

It’s usual that the host would be the one to set this up and they will need your phone number and email to do so . Sounds very promising that they are asking for this .

You are not committed to anything until the host has confirmed and you have “agreed to sit.” through your TH inbox .

3 Likes

We are homeowners and sitters. When we apply for sits, we include ways to contact us: email, phone number, and messaging apps. In the application letter, we ask for a video chat. We want the homeowner to feel comfortable with us. It’s a way to begin to build a relationship of trust and openness. Afterall, they would be trusting us with their most prized possessions.

6 Likes

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my inquiry! I am still pretty new to TrustedHousesitters website, so I appreciate the clarification! Big gratitude!

1 Like

I can’t send calendar invites well through THS messaging, and I am deeply dependent on the calendar to keep my life under control.

If they want your phone/email to set up other communcation, then that doesn’t set off any alarms for me personally.

1 Like

Welcome @J322
I usually take a phone number to set up a video call on whatsapp. If I agree to sit then I find communicating before, during and after a sit via whatsapp a better solution than the THS inbox especially if the HO wants regular pet photo’s during your sit.
I often chat to some HO’s about pets I’ve say for on whatsapp as well.

2 Likes

@J322 Welcome!
When a home owner invites you to apply for a sit, it’s their way of opening the communication line with you. The need to invite you but I would imagine that most home owners aren’t exactly ready to commit before talking with the sitter. They would need information on how to communicate and call and I personally don’t have any problem sharing that information as it’s needed to have the video call.
Video calls are a very important part of the process in my opinion. It allows the sitter and home owner to connect in a way that you can’t through just messaging.
Good luck!
Dan and Nan

4 Likes

They are about to welcome you into their home, their pride and joy, their beloved pets, their possessions, so I wouldn’t say asking for your phone and email were that personal on your side given the reason we are all on THS. Plus they need your phone or email to chat or video.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply! I did do a video chat with the homeowner and it worked out fine. My concern was is that a normal thing and it sounds like it is so I am confident that all will be well! Thanks again!

2 Likes

Thank you for your comment! I appreciate all the feedback in this thread. It’s been very very helpful to me!

1 Like

Thank you! I have a much better understanding from everyone’s comments!

1 Like