Cat sitter troubled by rail strikes in the UK

Okay, but you could bear it in mind for the future maybe?
I don’t think I could travel without my car in the UK, I travel with too much stuff although I manage when abroad! :joy:

1 Like

I’ve only had 1 ‘problem’ - rail strike scheduled on both the days I was transitting between sits - London suburb to Birmingham suburb back to London. The HOs near Birmingham had planned to allow me to use a car but their insurance wouldn’t cover a 71 yo with a US license and they offered to leave UK100 for me to use cabs. I asked about using it to rent a car instead and I was able to get a good price from Enterprise in suburban London. With the HOs contribution it probably cost me a bit more than I would have spent on train tickets, but I had a car to explore around Royal Sutton Coldfield - Went to Lichfield one day to explore and got to see the Erasmus Darwin House and a beach (sand, but no water :beach_umbrella:) that had been created on the lawn of the Cathedral.

2 Likes

Yes, I will keep it in mind. So far, I avoided Nat Express coaches as they do not seem to offer much choice of travel times, at least to the towns I needed to get to. Often there was only one or two buses per day at inconvenient (for me) times. Then again, I do not always check out the bus schedules. I prefer trains.

1 Like

A news article yesterday said there will be more train strikes in Dec/Jan:

Thousands of members of the RMT working for Network Rail and 14 train operating companies will strike on 13-14 and 16-17 December, causing disruption over six consecutive days in the run-up to Christmas. There will be a further two strikes on 3-4 and 6-7 January.

This impacts two of my moving days. I will buy a train ticket and hope that the Elizabeth line will run on 16 Dec. For 3 Jan, I will travel by bus not train.

Hi @cat.tails forewarned is forearmed … well done for having your Plan B in place well ahead of time it’s the only way to avoid any desperate last minute COP which may be completely unmanageable …

1 Like

Hi @cat.tails. You don’t need an advance ticket to use the Elizabeth line train. It’s part of London transport which means there’s no advantage to pre purchasing any rail tickets. Just turn up and pay via contactless debit/credit card (fees may apply if from outside the UK). You can purchase a ticket on the day if you can’t pay with a debit/credit card.

1 Like

@cat.tails I always use this service Sri check and plan journeys, it is reliable.

1 Like

I’m having difficulty getting to my sit on the 6th January (a rail strike with no trains expected to run). I offered to come on the 5th but HO is away. Last time during rail strikes uber/bolt in the UK wouldn’t take bookings and their apps fell over. Even if I could it looks like it’ll cost me £400 +. I could take 4 buses but last time I came back from a sit on a strike day the 1 and half hour bus journey took over 9 hours.
I looked at hotels but there’s no hotels close by and the ones in the next town all are over £150 I had budgeted for. The HO are going on holiday so don’t want to let them down but stuck for options now.
Any input would be useful? Thanks

@richten1 I live in the UK, could I ask where you are travelling from/to? I will see what I can come up with.

From Harrow to Alton Hampshire. Thanks

@richten1 id suggest you travel via coach on the 5th from Victoria Coach Station and get a coach to Basingstoke. Hotels there are reasonable and you can get a bus (number 13) from there into Alton. The bus takes about 35 minutes

2 Likes

https://www.rome2rio.com/ Use this and it will show you bus times from Basingstoke into Alton.

1 Like

Last summer I ran into a strike on the day I was going to and coming back from a sit - from Hayes to Sutton Coldfield and then back to London. The HOs had offered use of their car, but then weren’t able to add me to their insurance so offered to leave UK100 for me to take cabs if needed - I asked about using that toward a car rental and was able to get a car for the trip up and back from Enterprise (a suburban London location) for about UK200. I figured I’d have spent UK60 or so on train fares so it wasn’t too bad for me. But I lucked out on the rental price, I think and I have a full coverage credit card that acts as primary insurance on car rentals so didn’t get stuck with the excess…

1 Like

Hi Daisy,
Thanks for your help. Will chat to the HO again.

1 Like

A pleasure, please ask if you have any other UK related questions, always happy to help. :grin:

1 Like