Change of plans and budget

Hello friends,

Last year I started doing TH in September as a way to save on rent. NYC got too expensive for my customer service salary and I cannot get another job because of my health. I do like my benefits and health insurance. So changing jobs is not an option right this second.

I was able to do 4 sits between Sept-Dec in TX, NM and CA. Then I went abroad for 3 months and stayed with family. So that is 6 months of not paying rent in which I was able to travel and live the traveling life full time. I wanted to do it for a year but alas the person who was my “home base” where I had my belongings stored and received mail kind of fell through and I was not able to use her house as an address anymore.

Fast forward to March 2024, I got a virtual mailbox for the mailing situation and I shipped my things across the country from PA to CA. Now I am renting a room in CA and paying rent again, which leaves me with a much smaller budget to travel.

I have my TH membership until october and I want to see more places. However since I will no longer be using it as housing, I have to re-evaluate my plan. I guess I am thinking about what traveling will be like for the future and how to make the best of it on a budget.

How do y’all who travel part time and occasionally decide where to go?
What are some ways to save money in gas and groceries?
How does one make the best of traveling in a small budget?

Tell me your stories.

Food

• not sure where you’re going, but for instance in UK, I love using apps like too good to go, which help to eliminate food waste.
  • meal planning is also super helpful
  • taking full advantage of discount sites and coupons for meals and experiences is also a good shout

At home

• See if your place allows you to sublet your place and potentially try to find a short term lodger
  • It probably would have been cheaper to rent a storage unit for your stuff and just continue traveling, alongside a mail box or your mail, but idk your situation, and then rented a spare room or something in someone’s place with the understanding that most of the time, you wouldn’t be there…that type of set up is very compelling for lots of people.

General

• Join travel groups for each city to get a sense of how people are savvy about traveling in that area
  • I think it just comes with practice, but if you can align sits so that they can daisy chain from one location to another, or choose places that are already affordable to live in, etc. and have lots of things in walkable distance from the sit, that makes a big difference. over time, you just learn how and when to book what and get smarter about how you book
  • Longer sits where you can settle in and then just live as opposed to touristing could also be beneficial
2 Likes

Thank you for the response

I did consider renting an storage unit and continuing full time BUT even traveling full time there is always gaps in between sits and people change plans/dates and I was spending money in stays in between, so I decided for a room rental since I can store my things there and just drive back to sleep there for a couple of days when needed.
I tried to find a place where someone would want a part time roomate who isnt around much but I did not find that. bummer.

I have been doing longer sits so far and now I wonder if that is the move still, and just go “home” once a month or so.

Thanks for your input, I have lots to think about

I would think that an airbnb, hostel or sublet would have been a choose option than renting full time especially if you’re able to choose one anywhere in the world but it would have required a lot more legwork.

I also live in Europe so it’s. A lot easier to get to a place that would have affordable short term Housing as there are always people listing sublets or short term stays in fb groups in major cities.

Anyway, food for thought once your lease is up or break clause is open.

It may be worth it to do a bit of research and track what the above approach would have cost you depending on where you were trying to go. Idk what your travel restrictions are but if I were stateside I’d absolutely do downtime in Mexico or otherwise where the weather is good and cost of living is better. :+1:t4:

Yes and no.
The thing about doing airbnb and hotel in between is that the prices are unpredictable.
For example an airbnb in Los Angeles for 10 days cost me $700, the rent I am paying now is $750 a month. So Might as well just go “home” if I dont have a space in between, plus my stuff is there.
The cheapest motels I have seen here in the US are about $50 a night, in the middle of nowhere. So I mah or may not have access to these prices.
I will however do the math and see if having the rental is worth it.

1 Like

I’m in Europe, so ymmv on this, but I recently invested in a van instead of a car.

It’s not set up as a camper, but I can sleep in it OK if I have to and it means I don’t have to worry about where to store my stuff.

Living out of a backpack sucks, having it all there with me is much better. I have transport, temporary accommodation, and storage all in one.

1 Like

I got scammed on eBay buying a sprinter van for the same reason and now working on getting reimbursed through their vehicle protection insurance. Ugh. Once I get reimbursed, I will try again for another van

2 Likes