Conclusion Of Pausing Application Test - Updated Post

Am I wrong or didn’t the homeowners already have a “pause applications” feature they could implement at will? If that’s the case, what would have been so difficult about generating an email at a certain number to remind/suggest the homeowner use that feature?

7 Likes

You are 100% right!
Seeking a happy compromise, you may want to see my previous post referencing how the current 5 app pause is like a bad Monty Python skit and a simple solution:

Auto pause after 10
Email to owner asking if they want more and requiring a “yes”
Then 10 more each time
Maximum of 50 apps per listing

It really doesn’t have to be as complicated as THS is making it

5 Likes

@Ben-ProductManager Thank you for the update. The ability to submit an application once started sounds like a reasonable solution to one of the frustrations so many sitters experienced during the test. Can you please expand upon how this will work? Does THS record when the Apply Now button is pressed from a member’s account, therefore keeping the listing “unlocked” for that member to apply, even from a different device? For example, if I’m out of the house and click Apply Now on a listing in the THS phone app, could I then get home several hours later, and write and submit my application via the website, from my computer?

The other major problem is the time zone issue, which remains unaddressed. You write that THS considered the 24-hour open window suggested by many members, but “found it reduced the positive impact on success that we saw from the test.” Can you explain how you reached this conclusion? I’m not aware of any real-world test done with a 24-hour window in place; if there was, may we see the data?

If the 24-hour period is an absolute non-starter, can THS please, please consider at least a 12-hour open window for all applications? It is truly impossible for sitters to view listings that pop up while they’re asleep, and a 12-hour window at least gives SOME chance for sitters to view new sits across the world. This seems like the bare minimum compromise that will fulfill THS’ promise to members.

7 Likes

So much for still being able to apply for a sit if you are halfway through your application and they hit the 5 sit limit. I just tried to apply for a sit in Mexico that had only 2 applicants so far. I typed a brief application and 5 minutes later it was too late. I guess that’s another member you are going to lose pretty quickly!

8 Likes

Hi Everyone this thread will be closing at 16.00 or 4.00pm PT (Pacific Time) for 5 hours, re-opening again at 9.00 pm PT.

We know how important this conversation is and in order to keep it on topic and relevant to all we need to make certain that it is managed appropriately.

The reason for this decision is myself and members of the Forum Team will be hosting a live event, fundraiser and candle light vigil in San Diego this evening and we need to make certain this important Forum thread and conversation is continually managed by a full team.

Today is Remember Me Thursday a global initiative created by Helen Woodward Animal Centre to get the world talking and thinking about pet adoption, rescue and fostering and to raise awareness of all the orphan pets in shelters who will never find a forever home .

This event has been in the planning for over two months and today we want to help make a difference in animals lives.

We are a community with animals at the heart of who we are and what we do, a community of animal lovers and because of that we trust you will understand, respect and support this decision. Thank you in advance. :dog: :cat:

If you’d like more information please have a look at the Remember Me Thursday website https://remembermethursday.org/get-involved/
#RememberMeThursday #seethelight

This post will re-open at 9.00 pm PT

Angela and the Admin Team

2 Likes

Unfortunately, they haven’t implemented that change yet—as someone who’s experienced the same frustration, I hope the promised update happens as soon as possible.

Thank you everyone for being very patient and understanding …

@Julie_A @Kelly and I had a truly humbling Remember Me Thursday Event …

2 Likes

I’m not sure the 5 applies to everyone. I thought it was just new HOs (& also a tester scheme). I guess if it’s for all then you post early, get the first five, review and select and then relist so getting your sit up in plenty of time could help that way too :thinking: #justathought

1 Like

I trust it went well. Adam and I waited to hear to help in brighton but didn’t hear about again?

1 Like

I think this is a terrible idea! As a homeowner I want to see all applicants, not just the first 5 rushed applications which might not be from the best sitter available to me.
For my future listings I will be DECLINING ALL APPLICANTS at first and will then re-invite the one or two that I think look most promising to have a video call. I will of course write a message to each applicant explaining what I am doing and why the THS ‘system’ has forced be to behave in this way.
It’s really not a great customer experience to for anyone and I fail to see how it is an improvement in any way

13 Likes

We didn´t have a choice, did we? :wink:

5 Likes

I see there is no response to your question.
Ben please respond and explain why allowing 24 hours would have a negative impact?
This is a major problem for many it does not just impact very few as you have indicated.

2 Likes

We have been using THS exclusively for the five years to find housesits in the US/Canada and as of this fall, France. Time will tell whether this new policy will impact our ability to find future sits. But it does give me pause and I suspect I will renew my membership with other services that I dropped in favor of THS. I simply do not understand why THS decided to implement an across the board solution/policy. With a few additional programming steps they could’ve given the choice to the HO to decide if they wanted to limit the number or not - and they could’ve allowed the HO to set the number of applications.
Because of this policy, I already submitted an application using a very short one paragraph blurb just to get my application in within the five. I see that HOs are going to get a huge number of quick sentence applications as sitters race to be part of the ‘five’.
Not impressed with this new feature but hope that I will be proven wrong or THS will modify this policy.
I have recommended THS to many people and have it currently listed as “the best choice” on our travel website GaviidaeSails, but I will be updating that information with a caution statement and I will stop referring potential HOs and sitters until this policy is modified.

9 Likes

Thanks for your feedback @Gaviidae and I’m popping this here as am aware this is a long thread now and you may have missed the announcement above by Ben about the adjustments that will be made as this moves ahead. One of which is to address the issue of having to submit quick applications to be in the first five. I’ve added a link below which I hope at least helps you with one of your concerns.

All the best, Vanessa

@Vanessa_A as you can see many members like me have never received the newsletter by email, others like me have either have trouble locating it or can’t find it at all. @Ben-ProductManager persists with the message that the communication of this change will be in a newsletter that is difficult to access. You say all comms channels are being utilised. Even your communication is not consistent with @Ben-ProductManager.

I have asked you previously, and now again, based on the comms plan you say you have seen, are members going to receive direct emails from THS about this pausing applications change? Can you please answer my question.

3 Likes

As this thread has a limited time left it is important key questions receive a response.
Please describe what data was gathered during the test that validates that the 24 hour period would harm success and whose success are you measuring ?
As many people on this forum have indicated this is detrimental to their success and this feedback comes from your customers using this site on a daily basis,.

2 Likes

Hello @IfItFitsISits

To answer your first question: You will be able to submit the application once you start writing the application. This would be within the active session you are in, so you would not be able to switch devices or exit the page/screen you are in. You can then take your time to make the application.

Regarding your second question on the timezone issue, the most important point to clarify is that a small number of listings are paused within 24hrs. The level of Sits taken by international Sitters has stayed consistent and at the same level throughout this year and has not been impacted by the introduction of pausing.

During the test period, those Sits that previously did hit the limit were often very oversubscribed and these additional applications were subsequently made elsewhere. Maybe in a different location completely, or maybe a little further afield than the exact location first searched for. However, these additional applications are made elsewhere and this means more owners and sitters are seeing success. This results in a larger and happier community that benefits everyone. We have more members than ever before securing sitters or sits and are also enjoying an excellent on sit experience.

Many Thanks, Ben

1 Like

So @Ben-ProductManager if, as you state

how are we supposed to re-read the listing in depth, double check photos, look at the location on google maps, check flights/trains/buses, check our calendars, etc if we cannot exit the application screen once we have hit the apply button?
Am I missing something, maybe I’m not tech savvey enough? It could easily take me an hour or more to check everything thoroughly enough to submit a feasible application.

5 Likes

Hi @Expat6 I cannot answer these questions on behalf of the wider team. The forum moderation team has a role in this public community which is to keep topics on track, make sure comments remain respectful to all (members and staff) and of course, where we can we will tag the appropriate people to help, or at a very top line level can sometimes answer questions directly about the service, particularly, if it is something we have experience of as sitter or owner members. We understand your frustration but this thread is being monitored as we’ve said often, by the wider team and Ben is working hard to answer questions too when he is available to be on forum. The announcement has been made and the priority from what we know is now to work on the adjustments and communications to put this in play. That’s not the answer you want I know, but it’s the only answer I have.

1 Like

Thank you for responding Vanessa I will redirect my questions to Ben

1 Like