CRB check

I noticed some ho ask for crb check it put me off applying .would it help if I got one done

I must admit I had to look up what a CRB check was. In the UK it is only employers who can get them for employees or potential employees so it would be impossible to get one for pet sitting as sitters are neither.
Even a basic DBS check seems very complicated and it reads for employers benefit as well. There’s lots of forms to fill out, verification and a fee. I suppose if the pet companion wants one I would allow them as long as they did the paperwork and paid. It seems quite a hassle to do for every sit you apply for. Trust is in the sites title for a reason.

3 Likes

Thank you I won’t bother applying for house sits with this requirement now.

1 Like

A basic DBS check takes less than 10 minutes to apply for and is very straightforward and costs ÂŁ23. There is no official expiry date on them but we update ours every year. My husband had to do this regularly anyway with his work as a former commercial airline pilot and I think it can give the reassurance required by a HO if needed. We recently completed a sit at an historic home which has been in their family for more than 400 years with many valuable family antiques so I think that it was only right for them to ask us to provide our certificates and certainly as we plan to house sit a lot in the USA we can provide these certificates as requested as these are as close to their version/the equivalent of their CRB check.

1 Like

That’s good to know. We did all the recommended checks when we joined but never updated them. Maybe it’s time to do it.

1 Like

We write on our profile that we are DBS checked because there was no way to add this when we joined and if anyone needs to see the certificates they are more than welcome.

I would only ask for these police checks if people were going to be working with children, my son needed to get them when he was working with a circus/schools…… we don’t ask for any other checks than the ones THS do…

2 Likes

For me it takes a lot of the “trust” out of the experience along with some of the joy of people coming together in a mutual agreement that benefits everyone. It would feel more like an employer/employee contractual arrangement. I am not running a business nor do I wish to. I simply desire the opportunity to increase my life experiences, joyfully. I am grateful that THS has been significant in helping me achieve that goal.
But to each their own.
Everyone is free to set their own criteria in a way that is suitable to them.

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Although when we joined we did all the recommended security checks……but that was almost four years ago

1 Like

Yep. I’m solid too. I do not worry about finding sits, or will this one want me etc.
I’ve said it before and I will never stop saying it. There is someone for everyone and someone is looking for me just the way I am.

2 Likes

Are you in the UK? Here in the UK it’s now called a Disclosure and Debarring Service check. You can apply online to Gov.uk for it. I’m not sure people from outside the UK can get one without being resident for a qualifying period in the UK.

Me too. And I’ve been part of the Update Service since 2014.

1 Like

Anyone can apply for a DBS check in the UK.

We don’t apply for sits where a police check, contract or anything else unusual is required which seems to denote a general lack of trust on the homeowner’s part. We already have 20+ reviews and all the verifications available on THS. What does a police check really tell you, especially if it’s not updated all the time? If we were criminals, we would have been removed from this platform after our first sit.

1 Like

I would like to ask everyone to remember that here are also members from other countries, who not necessarily know any of the abbreviations often used by people from countries where English is spoken.
I only assumed that CRB has something to do with criminal records by following the thread. But this is not the first time I noticed that abbreviations are used and I don’t know what they mean.

2 Likes

Mine is updated annually: I make sure of that. I’m not a HO on THS, only a sitter, but if I was a HO I would positively discriminate in favour of current and valid UK DBS certificates. If it is good enough for a large, London secondary school then it should put people’s minds at rest about my integrity.