Deliveries while sitting?

If you’re in the U.S., you can get things delivered to a post office to be held as well, even if you don’t live in the area. It’s called general delivery: https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-is-General-Delivery#:~:text=Limitations%20on%20the%20amount%20of,sender%20requests%20a%20shorter%20period.

And with Amazon, you can have them deliver to a “locker” (usually a grocery store or other local business) and pick up there. That’s because some people worry that their packages will be stolen if left while they’re away from a household address or that delivery will be mixed up at say an apartment building.

Of course, the above do not work for say meal or grocery deliveries.

In several countries in Europe, there was the squatters’ movement that took over unused buildings like old hospitals etcetera. It could be difficult for the owners to evict them, especially if they had lived there for years.

I know that in the Netherlands, the law was changed in 2010, to make squatting a crime.

Anyway, on a European level, squatters can appeal to Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights which is about the right to respect for private and family life, home and correspondence. That right is “not confined to lawful/authorised occupancy of a building” but it requires quite a bit more than an Amazon delivery to establish such a right.

1 Like

In the U.S., after 9/11 happened decades ago, states quickly changed their thresholds for proving residency when it comes to getting IDs like driver’s licenses or state identification cards. That’s why an Amazon delivery can’t be used as proof of residency, for example. That’s also why departments of motor vehicles require utility bills for proof of residency — those usually require social security card numbers; some even credit checks and/or proof of homeownership or a lease.

Background: Some of the 9/11 hijackers were able to get IDs back in the day because of lax requirements for proof of residency.

If there are any U.S. states left that haven’t made such changes, that would be freakish.

1 Like

@tyrion_trask Here in the US it also varies by state. So it can get a bit confusing. I am an Airbnb host, so It has come up for me a number of times. I generally have guests send the package to me.

I always ask the HO if it’s okay. Some have their mail withheld, but had no problems with Amazon delivery. I’ve also had insta cart snd uber eats delivered with no issues, but I always ask first.

But is not that primarily about residency in the state (for voting rights etc)?

Tenancy rights are a different matter, very different in different US states I believe, and maybe even more local than that.

Interesting thread. I had an Amazon delivery during a sit as I didn’t see what difference it made. I’ve lived in a few European countries and proof of address is a utility bill in your name.

You can’t usually register to vote in the U.S. without proof of residency. Most people need a driver’s license or state ID to prove that.

And you can’t just randomly claim residency. Various states require different proof. Squatting also is illegal. If someone falsely claimed to live somewhere, one of the easiest things to do is to report them to the IRS and state tax agencies. Then if they’ve not paid taxes, they also could run into federal and state problems.

2 Likes

We’ve had plenty delivered to us whilst in sits without asking permission, I can’t understand why anyone would be upset by us ordering, paying and accepting an item that belongs to us?

8 Likes

Worth noting: If someone were up to no good, it’s pretty likely they’d ignore whatever preferences a host might have when it comes to deliveries. Like if someone wanted to squat your home, wouldn’t they be scofflaws, as well as bad house guests?

When it comes to THS, if hosts can’t offer basic conveniences like an address for Amazon, meal or grocery deliveries, that would be out of today’s norms. If so, best to mention such, because sitters who take your sit unknowingly probably will end up unhappy, which isn’t likely to be good for the host or pets.

If a host is afraid of squatting, etc., better to hire a professional or get friends or family to sit or put their pets in a kennel or such.

10 Likes

Tenancy and residency laws vary state to state. In mine any person staying more than 30 days has tenancy rights and has to be formally evicted which takes months. Once someone has tenancy and starts using someone’s address it’s really not that hard to establish residency.

Not to mention all manner of scams that people run by sending mail to a temporary address.

Letting someone use your address for mail and packages is a slippery slope. There are alternatives.

@anon42826925 I guess if someone is worried that I might try and establish residency or be a scammer because I want to get my groceries delivered, then I probably don’t want to sit for them.

7 Likes

If someone is aiming to squat, why would it matter to them what the host said about deliveries? It’s not as if they’re rule followers, LOL. And those folks will be beyond caring about THS reviews.

At best, it’s just a false sense of security for a host to not allow deliveries. At worst, most legit sitters will avoid them. Like if I see a sitter mention in a review that a host has this issue, then skip, skip, skip. Meanwhile, the people who don’t respect laws and manners will say, sure thing, and they’ll do what they want anyway.

8 Likes

We’ve all seen posts here about both HOs and sitters with bad intentions and outcomes. If you plan towards the best you will get bitten by the worst.

The list of scams that people run by hijacking temporary addresses and claiming them as permanent addresses is long. I’ve got a friend fighting federal felony drug trafficking charges due to an Airbnb guest who had drugs shipped to their Airbnb.

I never said that a HO shouldn’t allow deliveries. Just that it should be discussed and not assumed. And mail should never be allowed at a temporary address.

1 Like

To me, such discussions are meaningless. And if a host wants to mention that in their listing or welcome guide, I’d avoid them, because who knows what else they can imagine. Too distrustful to me.

Cases like your friend’s don’t happen because the issue wasn’t discussed — people who are intent on unlawful behavior aren’t deterred by discussions.

5 Likes

You’re still missing the point entirely. So I’ll give up trying.

My friends case happened because she allowed an incoming guest to use her address for shipping a package.

I have lived in CA since 1999. The only tenant battles I have heard of were actual tenants or roommates. I have not heard of one instance of a house guest claiming residency because they received an Amazon delivery. I will look further into it but it sounds like the usual California bashing to me.

3 Likes

For all the people objecting to sitters getting a delivery because it could be part of some nefarious scheme like claiming residency and trafficking drugs - why would you think telling them not to do it would stop them from doing it?
Do you think ‘bad actors’ intending to use the sit for receiving packages are going to be put off by adding “NO deliveries allowed” to the list of house rules?

4 Likes

Like really do you think someone with criminal intentions is going to go to the effort of signing up, paying membership, going through security checks, building up a credible profile doing multiple sits and then with a flimsy piece of paper months down the line for a delivery of protein powder start trying to claim residency and squatters rights in a foreign country.

2 Likes

@tyrion_trask Really I would not have expected an issue. Do they want to be notified everytime you get pizza delivered?

It’s just over the top reaction from an over zealous host from my pov.

We have to get things delivered all the time and I’ve not mentioned it - especially on a longer sit like I need contact lenses etc. on the other side we accept deliveries for the homeowner.

3 Likes