Filling the gaps for nomads that go from sit to sit

Hi @Pearl welcome to our community forum and I see you have some great feedback and helpful insights from @Colin and other members will have advice on living a nomadic lifestyle.

I can talk to this question from experience, we were nomadic of “no fixed abode” for 6 years, having sold our Canadian home to pursue a full time pet and housesitting lifestyle. Initially we had full international health cover through my husband’s US employer, one of the reasons we felt comfortable making the decision, however this retirement benefit ceased 2 years into our travels unfortunately, we took out additional cover.

While in the UK in 2018 (we are also UK citizens) my husband was diagnosed with a potentially life threatening condition (he rarely had a cold, life happens) his condition required two lots of surgery and long term treatment (he is still under supervision) we only managed to deal with all of this because at the time our son’s GP surgery was taking patients, not all surgeries are able to, we registered as living with our son, there was also an element of luck in this scenario, which we all need at times.

COVID was a hard stop to our housesitting travel lifestyle like it was for so many. We took stock and decided it might be prudent to once again have a base, somewhere to call home just in case … our choice and the right one for us. In our experience having adequate health care cover is essential probably more so now than ever before.

We still pet and housesit and we now have a lovely home for sitters to enjoy in rural Scotland

This conversation may also be of some help to you Health and Well being when location independent Sitters - #24 by ElsieDownie

Welcome again and enjoy connecting with our members from around the world and closer to home.

Angela and the Team

8 Likes