Amazing idea - new sitter

Hello everyone,

I happened to stumble upon this site today, and I feel like this is too good to be true!! I sold my home last year, and have been traveling around the US visiting with family and friends that I haven’t seen in years. I’ve made multiple cross country trips in the past year, with my mom on the east coast and two adult kids on the west coast.

It’s been really fun, especially driving with my son’s Saint Bernard, Theodore. However, I’ve found that when I return to California, I almost feel like I’m imposing on my children, so housesitting for someone close by would be the ideal solution.

Next year I’ll begin my international travel, but really would much rather immerse myself than be a tourist. I’m hoping this will afford me that opportunity, while offering a friendly furry face or two!

My question for the full-time international nomads, do you find it difficult to get back to back sits in the same area?

11 Likes

Hello @Pbkelly72 and a warm welcome to the Community Forum :wave:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

Theodore is absolutely adorable! :dog::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: … great photos. It sounds like you are having an incredible adventure.

I have attached some threads you should find helpful regarding full time sitting

I have attached a video for you to explain how it all works

For reference once you are a member and once your listing is completed you can also add your TrustedHousesitters profile on to your Forum profile by following the attached link, should you wish. This will then enable others to offer you helpful advice and feedback.

If you are unsure how to do this, or if you have any questions at all, do not hesitate to ask, we are all more than happy to help.

Also, remember you can use the spyglass symbol at the top of the page next to the TrustedHousesitters logo and search for any questions that you may have as they have most likely already been answered on here and of course if not then please just ask!

I have attached a thread below, it would be great if you could join in with this as we think you could offer great feedback and your input would be a great addition :blush:

2 Likes

Welcome, @Pbkelly72!

Honestly, your first photo stopped in me in my web-tracks. Where was it taken?

I should probably add something useful, lol…

@Samox24 is very experienced in worldwide travel. If you see some of her posts, you’ll get what I mean. So I trust her advice. Including anything about swimming pools. :rofl:

My other advice is to take it a step at a time. There’s great advice on the forums, but after digesting that, be sure to get your feet wet with some sits (anywhere) on TH. Practice makes perfect!

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes!

Thank you so much all of that information! So much to digest!! I’ll get into more of the forums in the coming weeks and try to get a few local sits scheduled once I establish my profile. Honestly, I didn’t really want to dive right in paying for a year membership for something that really wasn’t as nice as it sounded. Lots of scams out there!

Thanks again for all of the helpful threads!

Kelly

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and advice! That first picture is at Morro Bay, which is about an hour or two north of Los Angeles, California.

I’m looking forward to trying this out!

3 Likes

Hi @Pbkelly72 you are very welcome and if you have any more questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask :blush:

Hi @Pbkelly72 - We are full-time nomadic sitters. Getting back-to-back sits easily depends on where you want to be. Some areas are really popular with lots of listings whilst others are more difficult.
Rather than lots of short back-to-back - aim for longer sits to keep things simple, our aim is ideally 2 - 6 week sits.
I don’t know the US but we recently did 211 days in New Zealand & Australia which consisted of 198 days of house-sitting and 13 days in hotel accommodation.
This is a list of our dates sitting over the last couple of years in chronological order ( we started house-sitting in May 2021 )

4 Likes

Wow @Colin ! That sounds amazing! My travel goal before finding this community was to spend a few months at a time in different areas of the world. So I’m definitely going to try and find some longer sits, no matter where they are.

Thanks for feedback!!

Stay safe,

Kelly

Welcome @Pbkelly72. Sitting can be a great lifestyle but can take time to build up your reviews when getting sits can be easier.
Good luck.

One night in a hotel could easily cost more than one year’s membership fee! Are you looking to Sit in the SLO area? I am from the San Francisco Bay Area, and there are lots of opportunities there. There are a few in SLO area. I would get some Sits locally, to build up your reviews, and then you can apply to Sits wherever you would like to go! There are ways to get 20-25% the membership fee.

Thank you!