How to add a listing or profile link to your FORUM profile

It’s important to firstly understand that your FORUM PROFILE is different to the profile you have as a member on the main TrustedHousesitters’ website.

We do not allow links to profiles or listings in forum topics or posts (see guidelines here), but you can add the link of your TrustedHousesitter website profile or house sit listing in your FORUM PROFILE.

The process is slightly different for owners and sitters.

Note - We would recommend you do this on the desktop version as it’s easier to manage unless you are very adept at using smart devices :slight_smile:

For Sitters:

1. Go to the main TrustedHousesitters website and LOGIN to the DASHBOARD. Here you can PREVIEW your profile (green block) and copy (Ctrl + C) the URL in the browser bar, ready to paste it into your forum profile. It will look something like this:

2. Go to the FORUM and CLICK on your USER ICON in the top right corner - this may be a photo if you’ve uploaded one, or a letter in a circle. Then CLICK on the “head and shoulders” icon and from the drop down menu, select PREFERENCES.

3. On the left of the screen you will see a further list. Select PROFILE to open up a screen that will show your PROFILE text and other information. You can add a link in the text section and/or you can scroll down to a box labelled WEB SITE.

4. Paste the URL you copied earlier (CTRL + V) into this box. If you’ve lost the URL, don’t worry, just go back to your TrustedHousesitters dashboard and copy it again.

5. Once you’ve added this link, don’t forget to scroll to the bottom of the screen and select the SAVE CHANGES green button.

For Owner Listings:

1. Go to the main TrustedHousesitters website and LOGIN to the DASHBOARD. When you PREVIEW the listing you don’t get the full URL in the same way you do with sitter profiles. You will see something like this (without the spaces):

https: // www.trustedhousesitters. com / user / listing / 123456 / edit / listing-preview/

This is not the link another person will need to view your current listing.

2. You will need to find your listing on the website. Do this using “Find a House Sit” and search for your location. When you see your listing, click on it and then copy the URL (Ctrl + C) from the browser bar, ready to paste it into your forum profile. It will look something like this:

https: // www.trustedhousesitters. com/ house-and-pet-sitting-assignments / france / burgundy/ painblanc/ l / 123456/

3. Go to the FORUM and CLICK on your USER ICON in the top right corner. CLICK on the “head and shoulders” icon and from the drop down menu, select PREFERENCES.

4. On the left of the screen you will see a further list. Select PROFILE to open up a screen that will show your PROFILE text and other information. You can add a link in the text section and/or you can scroll down to a box labelled WEB SITE.

5. Paste the URL you copied earlier (CTRL + V) into this box. If you’ve lost the URL, don’t worry, just go back to your TrustedHousesitters dashboard and copy it again.

6. Once you’ve added this link, don’t forget to scroll to the bottom of the screen and select the SAVE CHANGES green button.

Now anyone who clicks on your user icon, will see your link(s) and be able to make contact using a DIRECT MESSAGE by clicking the green MESSAGE box.

Note - If you already have already used the Web Site field to add a link to a blog or other website, you can paste the URL into the ABOUT ME section as an alternative.

12 Likes

A bit behind in linking to my profile and I have a question :-). As we are nomadic I tend to change my location in my profile, depending on where we are. This location then shows up in the link. Is it possible to change the link every time we change location? Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve been trying to do that for about a week.

@liz @ElsieDownie Yes, I believe you just go into PREFERENCES and PROFILE and put a different location. Give it a try. This software isn’t linked to the TrustedHousesitter software (other than to go from one platform to the other and back), so you can pretty much try anything in here without upsetting anything. Let us know if it works, but I’m almost sure it will.

1 Like

thanks, I’ll give it a try and let you know if it works when we change location :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thank you will try n desktop PC tomorrow

1 Like

As a homeowner and a sitter, is there a way to link both my profile and my homeowner listing to my Forum profile? Currently, it is only my homeowner listing, and I don’t know how to add my sitter profile.
Thanks!

@sledgejoyce I don’t have the set up you’re asking about, but I think I understand how it’s done. If you want to see an example, go to Vanessa’s username. I’ll use my profile to show you how to do it.

Click on your thumbnail photo, and then on the head and shoulders image below the photo.

Then click on preferences and then profile.

Under the ‘About me’, add in what you’d like to share about yourself, and you can add your link there. The link symbol is the third option from the left, if you want words to be your link, or you can just add in the actual link and it will display that way.

Then scroll down the page and click ‘save changes’.

Francine,
Voluntary Forum Moderator

2 Likes

Thank you for your help: have posted a link (I hope)!

@fieldsofgold start here

We will take a look at this but we’ve found in Discourse that whilst many things can be tweaked they generally require back end programming… something that would be low priority in favour of main website, so we work on the whole with the standard options available.

Also not everyone is a member so they may prefer to add a blog URL.

It’s a good suggestion! Thank you!

3 Likes

@Vanessa-ForumCMgr can a blog URL be added to THS profile? In the about me section or somewhere where we write freely?
Ta

1 Like

@Amparo I add one in ours, but it doesn’t show as a link… you have to cut/paste the link in a browser manually, to view it.

I suspect this has been set this way to stop owners going off-site when reading profiles … every time someone leaves the site there’s a chance they won’t return to that profile and the moment is lost for the sitter. But the savvy and inquisitive owners do find their way and we’ve often been told our website sealed the deal as it showed how committed we are to house sitting. I’m sure there are others though for whom it’s overkill :slight_smile: We all find our own way though.

Now that the you can link to Airbnb and Linkedin on your profile, it might make sense to have a website or social link too for those with blogs. I’ll put this forward as a suggestion on your behalf :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very cool. I am just forward thinking always exploring what’s possible.
Thank you!

1 Like

I don’t understand Step 2 in “For Owner Listings” section. If I’m an owner, why would I go to Find a Sitter to find my listing?

1 Like

@hikerbiker I see your point. I have never had reason to read those instructions. I’ll tag @Vanessa_A for her input, next time she’s online. In the meantime, if the goal is to get your listing URL, it seems to me you would go to Find a house sit. Maybe we’re both misunderstanding though. At least your question will help clarify it for everyone. Thanks for asking. :sun_with_face:

Francine,
Volunteer Forum Moderator :canada:

@hikerbiker Well spotted on this typo! You are the first person in six months to notice it! You do indeed need to go to “Find a House Sit” … I’ve just amended the post :clap: :clap:
If you have any problems doing it, let us know and we can add it in for you. Thanks again and all the best, Vanessa

1 Like

Hmmm…when I go to the THS website and search for my listing in “Find a house sit”, it does not show up! Not even as a listing without current dates. Kinda difficult to add it to my forum profile if I can’t find it. What am I missing?

1 Like

If you’re logged into the main THS website, you should see your name the top RH corner. From there, is a drop down menu to your dashboard etc.

Hi @lonnajp64 welcome to our community forum … I have now added your listing link to your forum profile. If you need any additional help please ask our community and they will be happy to help.