Food/diet & full-time travel

Where is this glorious grocery store? Everything looks amazing.

1 Like

Iā€™m with you in that Iā€™d be ok with a Housesitter using some spices if needed. That said, I wouldnā€™t be ok with them helping themselves to food in the cupboards. When we prepared our home for our sitters I cleared out the fridge for them and made space in the cupboards for them to put their own groceries. I let them know they could use the spices but if they used up the last of something to please replace it. I would never help myself to someone elseā€™s food and assume that would be ok (even if replaced).

1 Like

I am 3 weeks now in Montevideo, Uruguay and have made it my business to explore all the options available to locals for shopping.
I have hit nearly all the ā€œchain supermarketsā€. This one is called Disco and it is the most interesting with a great variety of food but also household products.
Aside from the outdoor farmers market right around the corner from me, it is the most fun, great prices and selection of fresh, imported and unusual fair.

I am truly amazed at what is on offer in this very tiny country.
Another separate post coming to a forum near you soon.
Today I am having brunch with my of my HOs :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Hi

Full time sitting well done ?

I have just finished 5 months full time sitting across EU and UK

Best 5 months of my life only needed to find accommodation for 3 nights of the 150.

So how do you handle logistics re change of clothes from summer to winter for example?

ITS THE LIFE
(post moderated)

@SafePaws we have a car, so we travel with an extra suitcase for seasonal clothingā€¦would be interesting to hear how non-car owners do it.

@SafePaws I have a gorilla box stored at my parents and when Iā€™m over for a visit (roughly every 4 months) I try to guess what clothes Iā€™ll need. Not easy, cause in January weā€™ll be in cold Ireland and in February in Thailand! :grinning:

There are so many delicious food choices out there itā€™s difficult to resist them. I turned it around when I decided to eat the main meal of the day in the middle of the day instead of in the evening. If you make the midday meal the priority in front of everything else you begin to really think about what will be nutritious, delicious and you donā€™t mind spending a bit of time preparing it. Waiting until the end of the day to do that is harder because by then you are tired (and so are the dogs) and wanting something quick and easy so often I have something light then like fruit, a sandwich or popcorn.

3 Likes

Hi

Yes I do not see myself having a car.

I am thinking may be place of employment if they have lockers.

Do you work remotely ???

Thatā€™s what I am seeking remote work so I can move around from one sit to the next.

Itā€™s crazy to rent a place just so I have a base for clothes and stuff if I want to benefit from full time sitting.

Claude

So do you work remotely to be able to move such large distances

I am a solutions analyst process improvement analyst just need to find myself english speaking workplace where I can work remotely.

Claude

@SafePaws if you use the magnifying glass search function and type in ā€˜nomadsā€™ you will see lots of posts that may be of interest to you.

1 Like

@SafePaws not sure this was meant for me? If it is, yes my partner and I are both online freelancers. (translating/copywriting/teaching English online)

Great Combination of skills tool are you to work remotely Iā€™ve recently completed my TEFL 120 hour course hoping to do online teaching of English to foreigners, yet to start as itā€™s a bit daunting never having taught before I appreciate your comments Ree how are you be full-time sitters

Hi there,
We are not full-time sitters, but I can relate to your difficulties. I have recently lost over 40 lbs and am determined to keep it off. We bring our own food to house sits, mostly fish, chicken, salads, and veggies, and we cook most meals at home for ourselves. One of our house sits had Peanut M&Mā€™s sitting out, and I must confess we ate so many of them that we had to buy a new bag to replace them. I think next time, I will cover up any treats visible in the pantry with a dish towel, and will put any treats sitting out in a closet or on an upper shelf that I canā€™t reach without getting a ladder out. Preferably not visible. That will make it easier for me to avoid eating them.

As for enjoying local food, I think doing so in moderation is a good thing. I think some keys are portion control and trying to pick healthier specialties to enjoy rather than deep fried items or heavy carbs.

4 Likes

Hi @petlover and congratulations on a job well done! It is so hard to stay on track when traveling to new places and seeing new sites. You are to be commended for achieving and maintaining your goalā€¦I can understand the M&Mā€™s though. I bought a bag of the caramel ones at the airport in Cancun a couple of weeks ago and when I got home I put the remainder in a glass jarā€¦but itā€™s sitting on my wine bar so I see it everytime I walk by! Pure torture!

Ha ha, youā€™re stronger than I am! I would have eaten the whole bag on the trip home!! I have very little self-control when it comes to treats, so I have to eliminate them from my environment or at least put them where I canā€™t easily see them. Good for you that you can resist!

1 Like

Hi @adamcchristie. We too switch our main meal to midday when possible. That way, if we eat more than weā€™d planned, we take a longer walk (with our without pets) later. Itā€™s also a great way to save money on those days when we donā€™t feel like cooking (Lunches generally being less expensive than dinners.)

@sbwade

The. Struggle. IS. Real.

When my husband and I traveled the world for a year working remote we knew that we had a limited amount of time to enjoy the food in each location we were in at the moment.

We would start by always doing a free walking tour, typically followed by a food walking tour to learn where would be some places we would like to circle back to for a larger meal. We typically never had breakfast and if we did it would be rather small maybe yogurt or some fruit. Depending on on lodging arrangements we would have a large lunch out and cook for ourselves at home or swap to two depending on what sort of meal we wanted to have out. Part of what we enjoy is cooking for ourselves when we travel because it helps us get to know the local markets and get the freshest food while almost always saving more money than eating out. Only exception was in SE Asia especially Indonesia where eating out is dirt cheap and especially on Bali they have so many healthy delicious food options.

What we both noticed was the first half of the year we were in SE Asia & Oceania and both of us lost weight, when we hit Easter Europe and the Balkans we maintained the same weight and when we got to Germany and Italy we gained weight. We ended the year in the Middle East and lost some weight but because we werenā€™t waling 10-15km a day we lost muscle tone.

Even though we were working (therefore sitting for long periods of time each day) we had such a strong desire to get out and explore as much as we could - that is really the main thing that kept us in better health.

With all things in life itā€™s about finding as much balance as possible. Try not to beat yourself up if you indulge here and there and donā€™t get as much physical activity, thatā€™s not healthy for the mind either. Give yourself grace and be kind to yourself. We all only have this life with one body and itā€™s important to be kind to yourself (which is a lot easier said than done most of the time).

I should also mention that the fact that Europe has very scary tiny elevators or no elevators at all probably kept my legs in great shape for months.

6 Likes

Yes exactly. Thank you for taking the time to comment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I find just the opposite. Since I travel alone I can choose what I eat and donā€™t have to compromise with another person. I will say I do tend to get lazy on the exercise when Iā€™m sitting with cats.

Iā€™m not a full-time sitter, but Iā€™m on the path to eating more healthily, in a minimalist manner.

First, there are psychological tricks. I saw that Ariana Grande always asks, ā€œWhatā€™s the value in this?ā€ Itā€™s helped me avoid that fried chicken or pizza.

Second, I often fast. Iā€™ve done multi-day water-only fasts. I do it for health/longevity. Once you believe in the value of fasting, it becomes a very good tool. For example, I once had a 48-h train ride. Rather than worry about what food to bring, or where/what I could buy in/along the train, I just decided to fast. Health +1!

Third, once Iā€™ve clarified my preferred diet, I plan to put that in my TH profile. Iā€™ll word it carefully, like as an optional section. A quick version might be: ā€œ(dietary preferences) (optional) Some HOs have asked if I have any prefs: Iā€™m trying to avoid all processed sugar. No need to buy me brownies. If you have a jar of candy on the table, I may hide it from view until you come back. =)ā€

Fourth, I am working on codifying my diet in a spreadsheet. But you know whatā€™s healthy: simple foods, raw foods. Fruits, veggies, fiber. The first day, you can plan a grocery run for all you need if you canā€™t bring it ahead of time. Some canned food is quite healthy nowadays. For example, Walmart has diced tomatoes, no salt added, picked and packed the same day. (Robot or human?) Ditto for beans, carrots, peas. Quick oats are cheap and easy. Grab a container of mixed greens at the store and add some olive oil.

The more I eat healthily, the less I like eating out. Because even if I could get, say, a salad at a BBQ restaurant, itā€™ll have things I wouldnā€™t necessarily add (e.g., bacon, tortilla strips, or even chicken, or high-cal dressing), and then of course I can make it much cheaper myself.

Best of luck!

2 Likes