Getting Pickier when choosing pet sits

Some of the locals are concerned that we may see the reservation system again next year in High Season. We got here on October 12 so the Park was open to visitors and no need for reservations. The last couple of weeks they didn’t even man the entrance stations. I asked about what locals do when the did require reservations. Sounds like if you enter before I think nine and after five no reservations are required. It might be a bit earlier than that. We really scored big time on this house sit. Fantastic big home in the countryside with lovely views and two easy to look after sweet cats. I think there is a good chance that we will get asked back next year earlier in the season for a much shorter stay.

I looked for a sitting in Vancouver for ages without success. I then found a sitting on Vancouver Island, and added on 5 nights in an Airbnb downtown Vancouver where I caught up with some cousins.
A fabulous sitting, including a seaplane trip

4 Likes

Oh wow, lucky you, I’d love to move to the UK! Well, if I didn’t have all my family right here, that is.

Side note: I’m listening to that Bryson audio book right now.

1 Like

I grew up in Vancouver (Richmond), and now live 4-5 hours away, but generally, it’s only a stop on the way to the Island for me. We actually stayed downtown for two nights last fall as part of a trip to Victoria and it was the first time I’d been there in 5 years. I think I could live without it for another 5 years - too busy, too noisy, too wet, too expensive - I’m just not a fan of cities in general. I wouldn’t mind a sit in Whistler some time though (spring to fall, not winter).

I was born here (UK) but spent my whole life in BC. I’ve always been a bit nomadic and it wasn’t until I visited the UK that I felt I was home :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Funnily enough I’m exactly the same. I cry every time I go back to the family farm my brother now runs. I just need to see the Lomands (hills) and there is a lump in my throat. But I could never live there permanently there again. I say it’s my spiritual home.

2 Likes

I have done house sits on both Vancouver Island and I the City of Vancouver since both are near me across the border. Lots of opportunities in Vancouver. If you ever get a chance check out the Gulf Islands. Like our San Juan Islands here in Washington they are very unique. I was a long time Destination Expert for Washington on the Trip Advisor forums a great source of information from locals who are the best people to get advice from.

1 Like

I am the same and NYC and Paris are about the only cities where I look for an occasional house sit. For anyone, however, who has never been to Vancouver, or choice cities you definitely want to try and visit. Beautiful setting and terrific variety of restaurants. I live South in Washington.

1 Like

We have done two house sits in the Highlands. One of my favorite destinations on the Planet. We were offered a second opportunity on one in the closest home overlooking Urquhart Castle and Loch Ness. Another was on a farm with this view at the end of a road nit far from incredible Cairngorms
National Park. We would love to return to Scotland, but have secured a pet sit in Ireland next May and looking for more options there. We had a pet owner cancel on us two days before our flight to Dublin three years ago. Fortunately found this sit the next day.

2 Likes

I agree with you, Elsie, regarding (many) rescue dogs. I’ve been on a couple of sits where it became clear that the owners should have hired a professional dog sitter.

1 Like

I haven’t been to the San Juan Islands since I was a teen, maybe 1976 or 77 although we just finished a sit on Saltspring. I am really interested in going to San Juan Island now because in my genealogy journey, I’ve found two aunts who were early settlers there in Friday Harbour and I’d like to go see where they may have lived.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve never been to NYC so wouldn’t mind a sit there some day. I think having an apartment accommodation or a pet sit in a large city would be preferable to a hotel room. And to be honest, I do enjoy visiting large major cities at least once so I’ve seen the main sights, but there are very few that I’d go back to a second time.

It’s funny because my first trip to England included a few nights in London and while it was great to see all those well known places, I was tired of it all in the end and I didn’t have any interest in going back to England. Eventually a few years later, we decided to walk the Cotswold Way in preparation for our Camino, and I realized there was a whole other part of England that I had no real idea existed. Now it’s my favourite place, although we generally fly in to Gatwick and never venture into London at all.

3 Likes

We have pet sat all over England in three different years. Lots of diversity. The Cotswolds is nothing like Cornwall, which is nothing like the Lakes District which is nothing like Yorkshire. Lots of diversity in England and so much history.

1 Like

Totally agree - and so far I love them all! Still haven’t been to Yorkshire yet but it looks lovely too. We had sits lined up in the north for Spring 2020 and had to cancel of course.

The thing I like about all of the places you mentioned, are the small villages, rolling countryside, stones walls and hedgerows etc. If I had assume dLondon was representative of the UK, I would have been very wrong.

We are brand new to TH and are open to just about any location, beginning June 2022. Starting out in Europe, as we get off a cruise ship in Rome, then feel like the world is our oyster. We enjoy time outdoors, and want to find something in the country for some relaxation after cruising. So far, we’ve applied for a few country sits, and hope to add more before returning back to the US in the late summer. For us it’s about being low key and getting some snuggle time with pets, while enjoying lazy days in another country.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s surprising - and funny!

Just for interest and understanding, the forum software is written and maintained by a company called Discourse. Many companies use this software for their communities. Discourse have certain words that as standard are restricted from use, to help keep the community safe and without prejudice or judgement. Bearing in mind that we don’t pre-approve posts or topics. With ours being such a friendly space this rarely poses a problem, but occasionally, as you’ve discovered we might find the odd word restricted. But please be assured we are not consciously “censoring” words or phrases, it’s just a protective condition of the software :slight_smile: Thanks for understanding :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been using Trusted Housesitters for several years. I have had wonderful people come stay with my rescue dogs without any dilemmas that they couldn’t work with. I understand not all dogs are like that, but to lump them into one judgement because they are rescues is unfair. I usually make sure my sitters are confident with them and have them come a day early to go over the routine. I am told I have a comfortable home with a beautiful garden and a nice neighborhood.
I am saddened to see posts such as this. I am glad that people are able to travel to places they want to see and I happen to live in an area that people want to visit, but I have never gotten the impression from anyone who has stayed that the accommodations and the location were more important than the animals. I’ve also turned down people who asked more questions about my home than my animals, but that has been rare. I love this service and the opportunity to meet people who travel like I do and love animals. I, for one, intend to stop reading the forums as I am seeing more threads such as these, where sitters seem to be losing the original idea that this is a place where like minded people who love animals and travel could help each other out. Isn’t that part of travel? Meeting other people and contributing to this world, instead on only opting for what you can get from it?
I’ll go back to believing that the person applying for my sit wants to be around some beautiful rescue animals while they enjoy any area they are in.

11 Likes

Hi @malteseterrier please remove your email address from all forum posts, this is a public forum and we don’t allow email addresses or links of any kind there is a direct message option for member to member conversations

Thank you and welcome to the forum

1 Like

Hi @Desi , There is a very large group of people with diverse backgrounds and motivations on the forum. I hope you will not drop out because of a few posts you disagree with. I guarantee there are many people here who see things the way you do! I have chosen to overlook comments that don’t sit well with me and enjoy and learn from those posts that resonate with me. Please continue to speak your mind. Like you, I think this topic became a little lop-sided. Pets are the reason we are all here … and welcome!