Getting Pickier when choosing pet sits

This is why we joined Trusted House Sitters several years ago. I have become very picky about which house sits we apply for. I had been looking for an opportunity to stay close to Glacier National Park in a nice setting. Boy did we succeed. A beautiful large home with the following view with easy access to one of America’s most beautiful National Parks looking after two sweet cats. We certainly hope to return to this one since we have done several return pet sits here and abroad. We are on our third week here in Whitefish Montana.

14 Likes

Beautiful. I love the panoramic shot. It’s good to be selective. Works for me as well.
Cheers!

1 Like

Thank you. With about 60 pet sits and all five star ratings I fortunately can be! We are currently on our third week pet sitting in an incredible home in Whitefish Montana enjoying day trips to beautiful Glacier National Park. This is our view all thanks to Trusted House Sitters. Cheers!

5 Likes

I am also very picky concerning the animals I look after. Because of a couple of incidents with rescue dogs we try to avoid them or ask lots of questions about their background and behaviour. Some of these poor dogs get so stressed when their owners go away, they feel they are being abandoned again.
I am trying to be good just now but not succeeding. We want to be in specific places in 2022 so I am on the lookout for sits there but I keep on getting distracted by fantastic sits elsewhere. The current one is in Whistler BC right next to the ski slopes. I don’t ski but what an opportunity to learn.

5 Likes

I have always been picky about pets, house, location from day one, even when I didn’t have reviews.
As I live in my own home, I compare the listing to my own home and if it is not better, then I would prefer to stay at home and walk a local dog once a week.
Do you think that people like me who live at home can be more picky than Nomads who maybe are filling in the gaps during their travels?

5 Likes

Try it, you won’t regret it. I skied for the very first time in my late 20s and I was like Bambi for a few hours. But then it clicked and to cut a very long story short, I qualified some years later as a Ski Instructor with the Austrian National ski school. Now I simply sit on a bar stool with a German bier watching the fluffy white stuff falling. Travelling December 31st to my bolt hole in the Austrian Tirol. Cannot wait.

3 Likes

I am (unsuccessfully) ignoring it just now.
What a lovely picture, in the Austrian Alps. Do you have the long cigarette holder and call everyone……”darrrrllliiinnnggg”.
I will now refer to you as Patti, Absolutely Fabulous darrrrrrllllliiinnngggg.

1 Like

This is generally what I get up to: snogging the ski instructors.

5 Likes

Some house-less sitters don’t have a house because they choose not to, not because they can’t afford it… :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I live a couple of hours away from Whistler - you’d really enjoy it whether it winter or summer. Lots of nice hiking trails for a summer vacation and great scenery!

5 Likes

I apologise @Myhnabird for the bad use of the word “afford”. The word has a few different meanings and I should have used a better one or none at all.

E.g.
Do you think that people like me who live at home can be more picky…

I know that many sitters choose to not have a permanent base and I admire you all.

3 Likes

No worries, @itchyfeet. Husband and I may be in a similar position to you in a year - we’re relocating to the UK (from Canada) and want to rent until we find just the right place to buy. I can see us over our morning cuppas - “Oooh look! A week in Little Dribbling with a cat. I wonder if that might be the place? Shall we apply?”

4 Likes

Fantastic @Myhnabird
If we lived abroad then Vancouver would be top of our list, we love Canada.
You have read Bill Bryson then - we applied for a sitting last year in Nether Wallop but unfortunately, someone beat us to it.

4 Likes

There’s really a Nether Wallop??? (Does a quick check to see if there’s a Little Dribbling…)

1 Like

Besides Nether Wallop, nearby is Middle Wallop and Over Wallop.

3 Likes

That’s a lotta wallop!

4 Likes

@Itchyfeet I’m a nomad and I don’t apply for any sit that isn’t what I want, where I want, with animals I want to take care of. But I also like a variety, sometimes a country estate, sometimes a tiny apartment in a big city. I’m not house-sitting to fill in gaps, I’m house sitting as a lifestyle. :grinning:
(It’s Airbnb that fills in the gaps.)

3 Likes

Lovely. We have plans to visit Glacier for the first time next September, but I doubt that we will be lucky enough to find a housesit that works with our desired dates within an extended road trip. Did you have any problems getting into the park with the new ticket system and the road construction? I am hoping that congestion in the park will lessen by next fall. We are also very selective with the sits that we accept and are traveling to enjoy Disney in a few weeks and to visit family in Maryland for thanksgiving - both through THS housesits with sweet kitties.

The house sits in Vancouver get snapped up really fast! I’m lucky to live 20 mins from downtown Vancouver and even being a local I apply on the sits and love going into the city. It has so much to offer.

1 Like

I know the Wallops.

4 Likes