Has anyone travelled to India?

If yes, Please share your experience.
And the places you have visited.

Do you mean India? Also are you seeking views from a sitter’s perspective or just a tourist?

We’re going for a 22 day small group tour of India in mid November with Intrepid travel so I’ll be following this thread… I’m preparing myself to see some very challenging things around animal care and health.

We have just returned from 53 days in India, 29 in the north, visiting Delhi, Amritsar, Shimla, Jaipur, Agra, Ranthambore, Lucknow, Varanasi and Kolkata. 24 in the south, Kochi, Munnar, Periyar, Alleppy, Kovalam, Kanyakumari Madurai, Chettinar, Thanjavur Pondicherry, Mamalapuram, Chennai .
All trains drivers guides and hotels booked for us by Magic India. They were amazing
Feel free to message me any questions

3 Likes

Been to India about 20 times, it’s very mystical and spiritual. Indians are not animal lovers, be prepared. Rabies is around, don’t touch stray dogs. My favourite places are Munnar, the tea plantations, Varanasi on the river Ganges, not for the faint of heart. The palace lightings in Chennai, are amazing, elephants, monks chanting, fireworks, wonderful experience. Lots of poverty.

2 Likes

I’ve been to northern India on a tour and I’ve also worked just outside of Delhi, staying in the city itself. I also had time in gorgeous Kerala staying with friends who ran a guest house - it felt like a different world there.

Go with an open mind and heart, and expect the unexpected, especially on the roads (elephants in traffic jams, drivers coming towards you on the motorways - it can feel chaotic, but somehow it works) and I could understand why I was advised not to hire a car (I had a driver for getting to work).

I learnt a lot from my Indian colleagues - for example, their approach to the beggars was responsibility and they always carried cash, easily accessible in their pockets, to give the beggars - not much, but it’s part of their mindset.

Attitudes (including to animals) varies hugely, and it seems to be between the living circumstances - for example, the younger professionals (influenced by the West) tend to dote on their pets, while others may tend to see animals (and in some cases humans) differently.

You might find the Lonely Planet online guide helpful.

2 Likes

I’ve went to Bangalore back in 2016 for a work trip. The food was sooo good OMG. My co-workers who are locals took us around to some nice cafes and rooftop bars.

2 Likes

We spent 5 months November 22 through to April 23. We got right out into the eastern states like Nagaland, Assam and Meghalaya. North to Darjeeling. Right down the east coast. Across to Keral. Then up to Bangalore, Hampi, Mumbai (where we did a house sit) And then up to Delhi. On a previous trip we explored most of Rajastan, Varanasi, Agra, and Delhi. Its very interesting traveling independently but a LOT easier now than 30 yeats ago.

I may have done the same tour with Intrepid a few years ago. I’ll send a link to my blog about it

1 Like

There is place named Deltin which is loacted in Goa.
It is good for stay.

Edited to remove link in line with forum guidelines