Hello from the Dandenong Ranges in Victoria, Australia

I joined a week ago and already have four sits pending and two confirmed so I’m really excited. I can’t wait to start making new pet friends :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hi @adamcchristie - Welcome to trusted housesitters and, Wow! that is impressive, well done on securing your first two sits already. When you say 4 sits pending do you mean that you have four more applications sent?

Keep us updated on how you go on with this new adventure, are your sits local or will you have to travel far?

2 Likes

Hi @Colin, thanks for responding. I’ve applied for 17xhousesits. Eight have rejected. There are three yet to respond. Two are confirmed and locked in. Four are keen but we are yet to meet/Zoom.
Considering I am new to THS and have no reviews I feel so blessed that these people are entrusting me with their fur babies. My work is inside my laptop so I can go anywhere. I am only applying for jobs close to home or a state or two away between now and next June to allow my family time to get used to my travelling. I can’t wait to take this overseas and can easily understand why people do this full time :))
What about you?

7 Likes

@adamcchristie, You really do seem to be following the ideal way to secure yourself some sits as a newbie.

-Apply to many
-Don’t be disheartened by some rejections
-Be motivated by the confirmed sits.
-Start local and gradually travel farther as your reviews come in, and your experience and confidence grow.

We were very similar to you, we are UK based and did our first sit in May 2021, We loved the experience and immediately started to apply for more.

Fast forward to now, 16 months later. We still consider ourselves to be newish and love to meet up or chat with more experienced sitters than us for inspiration, advice and tips ( This group is brim full of all three!)

Amazingly, we are now full-time house sitters currently on our 27th sit. We enjoyed last Christmas on a 5-week sit in Spain and have a 5-week sit already booked for this coming Christmas in New Zealand!

5 Likes

Wow, you don’t waste time, do you? Welcome and congrats on getting your first sits so quickly!

1 Like

27!! I just can’t believe it, that is fantastic! Please keep in touch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lindsay thank you. Lovely to meet you. What is your story?

3 Likes

Fabulous. I have been a member for years but still haven’t started. Hopefully in a year or so.

3 Likes

Cheers @adamcchristie. My partner Kelly and I have been sitting for a few years, and have also just recently started welcoming sitters to our home. We live in Canada but I am originally from the UK so we travel quite a bit. I’m currently on a sit in Spain. TH is a great adventure, I’m sure you will love it!

3 Likes

Well done @adamcchristie
Sounds like you are well on your way to creating yourself a most wonderful life.
Enjoy, travel well and be happy!

4 Likes

@Amparo thank you for your well wishes. Cheers, Ada :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Lindsay you have really piqued my interest because Canada, Scotland and Spain are all at the top of my list of countries to go to first. Possibly Scotland will be first because the novel I’m currently writing is set there. Were you in Scotland?

2 Likes

I have a similar story, Deborah. I’ve been looking at travel and sit sites for 8xyears and just biding my time. All of my children are now licensed and completely independent so it is finally time for me. Keep dreaming because it is going to happen :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have been to Scotland, we had a lovely sit near Dundee with the sweetest dog, Mollie. She was hilarious, wouldn’t respond to the word “come” but if you pretended to sneeze she’d be there in a heartbeat :rofl: I would love to spend more time in Scotland, hopefully some day!

4 Likes

Way to go @adamcchristie! That is awesome that you are getting booked already…sounds like you have the right plan in place to make this really work for you and all the pet parents and their furbabies you find along the way.

Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Thank you @Debbie-L , it is lovely to have your support and encouragement :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Lindsay, that sounds awesome. So I’m guessing her name sounds like a sneeze in another language :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do hope you are able to housesit very soon. I really hope to be able.to in a year or so. I have always had a menagerie and now i do not and i look after people’s dogs and cats in my home for free so i get the benefit of pet time. The hardest thing i have ever done is refusing to have another pet after my last passed away 10 months ago. If i succumb i will never go anywhere. Good luck and happy travels.
Deborah

1 Like

Hi Deborah,
I know exactly what you mean, at one point when I was homeschooling my kids we had three dogs, 5xguinea pigs and 3xrabbits. After the last one passed away I promised myself to stay pet free so I could travel. I’ve actually avoided relationships for this reason too; I don’t want to be so tied down I can’t have my freedom and go anywhere whenever I want. I have been planning and waiting for this day for a long time :))
It’s lovely to talk to you and good luck.
Ada

1 Like

Ada that all sounds very familiar and i look forward to reading about your adventures. You are inspirational.
Thank you
Deborah

1 Like