How do you deal with pet-food expenses?

I would assume that listing meant they will provide the cash but you’ll have to go to the grocery store to actually get it. I had a dog that had kidney liver issues and I put her on a raw food diet and one weeks worth that I would freeze took up a lot of space in freezer

2 Likes

This HO does not have any previous sitters–no reviews. There are some other words in the listing that make me feel uncomfortable, so I decide not to apply in the end. But I’m thankful for everyone’s input, I definitely learned something!

5 Likes

And the thing about that is, you are not able to ask the HO questions without applying.

If it sounds fishy, it might be best not to apply.
I had one HO who asked me to buy fruit and veg for the animals and never reimbursed me. Most owners are very responsible though, and provide more than enough pet food.

As a sitter, I would definitely expect the homeowner to leave some cash to purchase the raw foods when they run out. I did a recent sit where I had to prepare tubs of homemade food a few times during the sit. Those dogs were really well fed with such an elaborate healthy concoction of veggies, sardines, spinach and sweet potato- almost looked good enough to eat myself :slight_smile: The homeowner left adequate supplies so I certainly didn’t mind preparing.

2 Likes

We did a sit where the dog ate raw food. The HO left enough food to last the sit. Everyone was happy.

There are so many subscription services that deliver raw food. We would point them in that direction. If we couldn’t agree, we would ask if they have some way of providing money for the supplies- such as calling a store and paying by phone or something.

I’m there with you. Raw food diets are a definite no for me unless they are prepackaged and frozen.

1 Like