How have you upped your hosting game? What makes a great host?

Besides the standard preparations (fully cleaning the house, making space in fridge/cupboards/bathroom and providing clothing hangers, thorough welcome guide, etc) we have recently begun to leave extra things for sitters. We keep a small set of travel-sized toiletries in case a sitter forgets something (deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, shower loofah, hair spray). We buy them a fresh bag of coffee beans and recently got some flavored syrups to use with our espresso or drip machine (we drink it black, so it’s a sitter-specific purchase!)

We try not to leave things that could be considered extra work, like cut flowers which require trimming and water changing, but do leave little things like candles and small snacks or candy. For those traveling from farther out of state, we get one of those Starbucks “You Are Here” mugs for the state of Washington. As the weather cools down, we’re going to start leaving these cute pinecone and wax firestarters for our wood stove.

One last thing: I know I’m dragging up an old thread, but I did find it very helpful. It covers a lot of basic amenities like sharp knives, bedside lamps, and accessible outlets, which I’m sure sitters appreciate a lot more than a mug! :laughing:

15 Likes