International SIM Cards - UK/Europe/USA/Canada :)

We use Lebara too, the GBP20 per month plan, can cancel at anytime. We have found it to work well.

Thank you for info

1 Like

Thank you for info

Thank you for info

We arrived last week from Canada to France and our host took us to a convenience store to purchase a SIM card for our stay. We would have done it at the airport as so many recommended we do, but he found a good spot for us to go. He speaks French well so that was helpful as we have only basic skills so far and would need to use our translator app on our phone.
A few tips and how we sorted it out:

• if you only speak English and not the local language and donā€™t have the help of your Pet Parent do at the airport as your more than likely to have someone speak English
  • We used Orange as the provider, $30 for 2 GiG of data with text and calling optionsā€¦very cheap compared to Canadaā€™s rates!
  • only issue was, no where in the instruction manual or at the convenience store said you need to use ā€œSafariā€ not ā€œGoogleā€ as your search engineā€¦I kept trying to use Google as I usually do and I thought I had no WIFI connection when we left the home so I was very frustrated and confused
  • so we did not have use of WIFI for 3 days and in vain tried to contact someone via phone, email with not luck at Orange and the store we purchased it fromā€¦no one spoke English
  • we found an ā€œOrangeā€ store about 20 min away and they fixed us up no problem
  • soooā€¦I would next time buy right from the cell phone provider if possible when your not familiar with the local language and NOW know to try both Google and Safari!
1 Like

We are traveling to France next week from the U.S. and I am looking for an easy way (inexpensive) to use my phone while in France. I wonā€™t be using it for calls, but mainly for GPS apps and google searches. I have Verizon service on my iPhone, so I can use the Travel Pass for $10 a day, but that seems like a lot since weā€™ll be there for 2 weeks. I came across this Airalo, an eSim card and thought I would ask here if anyone has used it, or if anyone has any other suggestions for using a U.S. phone service in France. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello, @sledgejoyce here is a previous topic that should have some helpful tips:

I am sure that there are some other community members that have used sim cards in France and can help.

I hope you have an amazing time in France :grin:

I use Orange when Iā€™m in France. Iā€™ve bought the SIMs at store fronts in country, ordered a SIM through Amazon and installed it myself as soon as I was in Europe, and now I use an eSIM for them (did not find that all that easy to set up). Orange has good coverage in Europe, but itā€™s expensive. A couple of friends use Free, which is considerably cheaper (variable reviews on that).

1 Like

This is great information. I generally put my phone in airplane mode and only use free wifi when itā€™s available. This will easily cover the few times I turn on data.

Since we have sits in the UK and Europe for the last 6 months weā€™ve been using Smartyā€™s no contract, prepaid service. We have the plan with 60 GB data, unlimited talk and text for Ā£10.00. They also have cheaper plans for Ā£5 and Ā£7.

The plan also includes 12GB data, unlimited talk and text for all EU countries. You need an UK postal address to receive your SIM card or any international address if you order your SIM from Amazon. The network coverage has been good and the network automatically switches, when you travel between different countries.

I use 1p mobile in the UK and the international roaming rates are good, see here

use the dropdown menu and select France
eg in France calls would be 1p per minute (the rate in UK currency)

Hello. I have used HolaFly before https://esim.holafly.com/ works well. :slight_smile:

Hello Iā€™m just in Lausanne / Pully on the road and have just tried, as it says on the Internet at coop to get a prepaid sim card.
Does not exist there.
How do you do that, locally to get a prepaid sim card in Switzerland as a German?
Where do I get the thing, because without I can not do anything online on the road, which is mega frustrating.

Check out e-sims. Itā€™s been discussed on the forum

Getting a SIM card in Switzerland could be complicated. A lot of stores sell them but you will first need to fill out an application, provide a copy of your ID and wait 2-3 days for activation.

We recently completed a few sits in Switzerland& France and opted for an eSim card from MobiMatter. We had a great service through our sits for affordable price, 12 GB of data for $12. Since we had to drive pretty much daily from France to Switzerland and Switzerland is not in EU, the sim card will automatically switch between countries and pick the best provider with minimal disruption. We are currently using the eSim in the UK and also getting a good service. If you are interested in the best of Europe esim card send us a direct message for a discount code of your first order.

1 Like

I was in Spain recently and got a good deal with Vodafone. 10 euros for 50gig over 28 days. Also allows roaming in EU, UK and USA. Best deal Iā€™ve ever seen. So if you happen to be in Spain, snap it up!

Iā€™m in Europe for the summer and got an eSim that has worked out great. Iā€™ve been in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, and Switzerland so far and havenā€™t had any issues.

1 Like

@systaran what company did you go through?

We signed up with Felix in Australia - $35 pm unlimited data then $20 per add on roaming pack which gives 100 texts, 100 minutes of calls and 4gb data (calls either back to Aus or yo the country youā€™re in). After 3 months Iā€™m up to 3 recharges but havenā€™t used all components, they just roll over.
We get round all this by calling on WhatsApp or thru FB when we have HO or hotel WI-FI. :blush: hope this makes sense @Crookie

1 Like

Iā€™m using Airalo and havenā€™t had any issues so far.