Anyone used My Truphone?

I’m currently travelling/housesitting in New Zealand, arrived here last Wednesday. I’m using my mobile and UK sim and just keep the phone on airline mode so I don’t wander into data roaming etc which would cost a fortune. I can obviously make calls via WhatsApp/FaceTime etc when I’ve access to wifi which is frequently.
However, when I rent a car I won’t have access to Google maps to navigate. Thought I’d just use paper maps like the old days (:joy:) but I do miss that voice telling me where to go!
Today I heard about My Truphone which could be the answer:
https://www3.truphone.com/consumer/support/what-is-my-truphone/
Just wondering if anyone has used it and what you think?
Tia

I haven’t used Truphone, sorry. But FYI, you can cache maps on your phone. I don’t know about turn-by-turn navigation, but at least with Google Maps, you should be able to pre-save an area. So you shouldn’t need paper maps.

I guess you could print out a Google map of the directions from A to B. Though I’d just screenshot that and store on my phone. (I do carry an extra battery with me.)

1 Like

Can’t comment on My Truphone but have used this app Maps.me.
Navigation app that works offline

1 Like

Sorry, I also don’t know Truphone, but I sometimes use a navigation app called Sygic. You download maps for the country (or area) you need and it will guide you without internet service.

1 Like

Yes, I used truphone earlier this year for 3 months in Netherlands, Germany, UK, Belgian and Luxembourg. I just reactivated it this week and will use again for the next 3 months. Once you have your e-sim you can pay for the period that you need, stop paying and then restart when you want it again.

Truphone failed me when I tried to use it in the US, however. I worked with support and they refunded me. Their agreements with t-mobile just didn’t provide good enough service. My husband had a hard sim card and was connected far more than I was.

Definitely recommend for Europe!

3 Likes

One of the reasons I use T-mobile as my provider is that they provide free data and text coverage almost all over the world. (It didn’t work in Vietnam when I was there a few years ago, but the www site shows coverage now.) I’ve used in in China, Taiwan, Cambodia, Ukraine, S Korea, South Africa and all over Europe. 2G or 3G but it even works for maps and driving in the UK, South Africa, and South Korea.

1 Like

Thank you that’s really helpful.
Yes, I saw that message too but I’ll keep checking in as they say they’re working hard to get back to normal service

1 Like

Thanks Amparo

1 Like

Thank you @Edith, getting lots of good information here

1 Like

Thank you. Good to hear from someone who’s used it

That’s great to know. Maybe I’ll have to change providers when my current contract comes to an end

As a U.S. AT&T customer, I’ve paid $60/month for only a 1GB when traveling internationally. Knowing I will be outside of the country most of this year, I ordered Orange Holiday SIM from Amazon and has worked out very well in Europe for half of the cost or less, depending on the plan.
I was using AT&T plan while in New Zealand driving and worked out fine. I noticed in some countries, you can buy local SIM when you land at the airport which is super cheap.

1 Like

For anyone interested e.g. @Colin it looks like Truphone is available to new customers. I’ll take a proper look tomorrow morning

@Smiley - Karyo bought a spark sim card, it has 10gb data and lasts 3 months which is enough for what we need it for, The guy at the shop put it in for us. I cancelled his Lebara standing order then checked with them and they said he will not lose his number as long as it is used again within 15 months
We are off to Sumner in the morning - are you still in Nelson?

1 Like

Glad you got sorted.
I’m back in Picton.
Enjoy Sumner & will see you soon! :smiley:

1 Like

I know this is an older post now and I haven’t used TruPhone because my phone doesn’t support eSIM.

I tend to buy a local SIM wherever I am and I use OpenPhone as my main tool or calls. I ported over my cell number to them years ago and other than temporary numbers as I travel, as long as I have WiFi, I take my old number with me.

Also, most higher end modern phones have GPS built in and you do not need to have a phone plan for it to work BUT you do need to download the maps of the area you’re going to. At least, that has worked for me with Google Maps.

1 Like