Karen Schuppert, our second pet expert, answers your questions!

Hey everyone!

Hope you’re all doing well! You might remember that we recently invited you to submit questions for a Q&A with our second pet expert of The Season of Pet Happiness, Karen Schuppert!

We’re excited to finally share some of the answers with you, featuring questions from our forum members and our Instagram followers! Just a heads up, though —while we know you’ve all got lots of great questions, Karen won’t be able to jump back in to respond to any follow-ups on this post. But we think you’ll really enjoy what she has to say!

If you submitted a question but didn’t see an answer here, stay tuned! There’s a chance it could still appear in a future post. :eyes:

Let’s start off with questions from our lovely forum members!

@anon87890516

Hi Karen!

Thank you for sharing your insights with us.

As someone who has traveled widely, caring for animals across different landscapes and cultures, I’m curious—do you ever feel that each country has its own unique “language” of love when it comes to pets?

Have you discovered any surprising rituals or practices in your travels that reveal a deeper, almost poetic connection between people, their animals, and the land they inhabit?

How has this shaped your understanding of what it means to truly care for a pet, beyond just the basics?

Karen

Hello IndigoEarth, I have not experienced any unique rituals when caring for pets internationally (and we live abroad), but most certainly a common thread is love and devotion to their well-being. And once again, to reassure pet parents while away, regular communication is key. I pride myself on taking and sharing photos of the furry ones, both inside and out of the home. I’ve cared for a wide variety of pets - donkeys, pigs, fish, chickens and a tortoise - so documenting their personalities becomes as much fun as the care itself.

@Mimbles

Hi Karen,

With your pet sitting prowess and nutrition knowledge, have you ever had to approach a pet parent about their pet’s health?

Even if it was just abnormally runny poos or itchiness… At what point do you feel it’s appropriate (or not) to say something?

Thank you!

Karen

Hello Mimbles, I have most definitely experienced digestive upsets with pets which can be attributed to a number of factors. Furballs, loose stools, skin issues, et.al. Often times the root of the problem comes from stress when the pet parents are gone and can manifest in many of these ways, or by the pet simply skipping meals. I always ask the parents in advance if they would like me to communicate such behaviors, especially if it continues beyond two days or if serious enough to warrant a trip to the vet. Reviewing eating schedules and patterns prior to the sit is a good time to ask about any nuances they have experienced before. I also offer nutrition tips if they are open to it but I never impose my way of feeding upon them without prior approval.

@JudyY

Hi Karen. Our dog is nearly 18, and while she’s in mostly decent health (deaf, a little slow, but mostly pretty good), we know that’s pretty old. My husband and I retired recently and are itching to travel more. Is there an optimal amount of time to be away with a dog this age? We did something we’ve never done, and travelled for 2 months and our dog seemed kind of traumatized for a while. She came back, but we’re afraid to be gone too long - but we don’t know how long IS too long. Sorry THIS is so long! lol
Thanks!

Karen

Hello JudyY, thank you for such a sensitive question. 18 years! That is impressive. Speaking from experience with our elder girl, it can be quite stressful when the parents prepare to depart. She gets ‘wiggy’ when the suitcase appears! Even though we have a most loving and caring source of TrustedHousesitters, we’ve decided it’s not worth the angst it creates and have therefore curtailed our travels considerably for the foreseeable future. Conversely, sometimes I will accept a sit while my husband stays home which alleviates ‘total abandonment’ fears. I can’t speak to the amount of time away, but more specifically to the departure of us together.

@Garfield

Hello Karen!

What questions would you recommend that a sitter asks in a video-call (or other communication) to ensure a successful petsit? Looking forward to your insights!

Karen

Hello Garfield, bravo for being proactive and prepared! As outlined in my article, from the initial contact to the completion of the sit, open and clear communication is crucial.

• Inquire about the pet parents’ expectations and what they would consider an ideal sitter, which can reveal important details not covered in written instructions.
  • If a live meeting isn’t possible, a video walk-through helps familiarize the sitter with the home and pets, adding another layer of comfort and preparation. Also, you might ask how to enter the home if that hadn’t already been explained.
  • Create a list of questions covering essentials like feeding, activity, elimination, behaviors, and emergency contacts to ensure you’re well equipped.
  • With regards to expectations of home care and cleanup, inquiries about watering plants, pool or spa instructions, laundry and location of cleaning supplies can also help facilitate a smooth experience. And don’t be afraid to ask about certain needs you may have… hairdryer, public transportation or favorite things like a bathtub.
  • Again, much of this will be covered in the Welcome Guide, but I find it so helpful to have visual contact in advance.

This thoughtful approach helps create a smooth and successful experience for all parties involved.

@FrancesNapa

What do you like the host to do to prepare for your visit? What are some nice touches, such as dinner on first night, post it notes on drawers in kitchen, etc. Thanks.

Karen

Hello FrancesNapa, I am actually answering these questions from Napa, and used to be a resident for 20 years :slight_smile: As both a pet parent and sitter I so appreciate the consideration on how to best prepare for a smooth transition of home and critter care.

It is a wonderful gesture to invite the sitter/s into your home the night before whenever possible, especially if they are traveling from out of town. This ensures a thorough handover and time to answer any questions which might arise once on site. When time allows, a prepared meal is so appreciated and allows for both parties to connect on many levels. We have made lifelong friends through this generous act of hospitality.

Also important is for some space to be cleared in the bedroom for clothes, and refrigerator for food. Being a chef, I cook most of my meals at home so I can stock the fridge with my fresh ingredients as long as there is room. On that note, it’s nice to know what food items are encouraged to be eaten and/or anything that is off limits. It can be a tad sensitive but often times I ask that any food which could spoil during the sit be previously frozen or consumed before departure.

As hosts, we offer our sitters a small token of gratitude such as bottle of wine as a gift but certainly not required (we are from Napa, after all :slight_smile: And we leave a small amount of cash for unpredictable emergencies.

In the Welcome Guide we review all household details such as heating, TV operation (remotes, etc.) but often times it’s best to see them in action. This is where connecting in person is also beneficial.

@Themavericksitter

Karen, I’m sitting for a HO that appears to be health conscious and who also gives their dog organic dairy products (raw eggs and yogurt) as a treat. I’ve never cared for a pet that consumed so much dairy and now am noticing frequent and smelly gas from the dog. I did some research and many vets don’t recommend pets consume dairy products, especially raw eggs. What are your thoughts?

Karen

Hello, as you know, diets are so personal so these can be delicate issues to handle. If there are digestive upsets, communication with the pet parents might be called for simply as an ‘FYI.’ What I might suggest for the future is to ask them in advance how they would like you to manage any dietary reactions. From my experience as a chef and nutritionist is that eggs be cooked for dogs. Regarding dairy, we give our dogs small amounts of kefir and yogurt 3-4x/ week mixed with a freeze dried lamb mix. The probiotics from fermented dairy are beneficial. But again, another dog may have an adverse reaction so communication is key. Pet sitting aside, in general, it is always worth checking with a veterinarian before introducing a new food to (or changing up) a dog’s diet and seeking their advice in any instances of digestive upset.

Here’s some of our questions (and Karen’s answers!) from our Instagram followers!

I want to do this for first time. Is it difficult to find a family [sit] without previous experience?

It isn’t necessarily difficult but can take a few tries. When I first started pet sitting I would care for pets of friends and once completed, I would ask them to write a review and reference. Also, once I became a member of TrustedHousesitters, I began by doing sits in my local area so I increased my odds of being chosen due to my convenient location.

Can I get references of the dog sitter before bookings?

Absolutely and highly encouraged. So much of my success has been supported by referrals from previous pet parents, plus family and friends whose furry ones I’ve also cared for.

How does one become qualified in pet nutrition? Is there now a degree offered?

There are several online courses available now for those seeking training in pet nutrition and holistic approaches to their care. Dogs Naturally, Dr. Judy Morgan’s Naturally Healthy Pets and Dr. Ruth Roberts are websites I use frequently. They also offer summits and courses for certifications. You can also look for available in-person courses near you. Whether in-person or online, I would recommend conducting your own research when considering an educational course, and looking for ones that are properly accredited and if possible, reviewed by past students.

My dog’s not old but what can I start to do now nutrition-wise to help them age gracefully.

Of course I just love this question! Just as with humans, it’s never too soon to start creating healthy habits for our beloved pets. Much of conventional pet food is highly processed so it’s always a good idea to read labels and understand the quality of ingredients. Acknowledging budget concerns, there are many ways to incorporate nutritious options into their diets. Cats are natural carnivores but often don’t consume enough water. Kibble is high in carbohydrates and can be dehydrating so as an example, you could try ground beef and/or canned salmon with broth or water. Dogs like variety, too. Over the years we have fed ours raw food, dehydrated mixtures, and currently freeze dried, always adding lightly cooked, fresh ingredients such as eggs, liver and vegetables. We also offer sardines as a mid-day treat. So great for building healthy bones! Before changing or introducing a new food into your pet’s diet, I would also recommend that you first speak to your vet for further advice personalized to your pet.

What should sitters know about taking care of a senior pet?

Our beloved Aussie just turned 17 last week, so I guess I can speak to this first hand :slight_smile: The first thing that comes to mind is patience. In the early years dog walks can be considered fitness for both parties and those outings could be fairly brisk. Eventually things tend to slow down so it’s important to just ‘take time to smell the flowers.’ You can then enjoy leisurely ‘sniffing strolls,’ letting the pups gauge the pace. I’ve also found a shift in sleep patterns with both cats and dogs. Always personality dependent, many furry friends rely on cuddles and naps on laps. They may sleep for hours on end but awake time is equally as important for more frequent potty breaks. And last but definitely not least, if the senior is still able to ‘play,’ try to get creative with a few brain games, like putting treats in a maze dish, or simple hide and seek.

A HUGE thanks to Karen for answering some of our questions, and keep your eyes peeled for our next pet expert Q&A, coming very soon!

Jenny

2 Likes

Thank you for the opportunity to ask Karen! Good questions from fellow members, great weekend-read! :blush:

1 Like

Thanks for this conversation–all helpful to a THS newbie like me.

1 Like