Limping cat …

I’m 2 weeks into a month long cat-sit. This is my 16th housesit with TH. The cat is gorgeous. She elderly (14) and only goes out to go to the toilet.
On Sunday evening, I noticed she was limping slightly. The next morning it was worse. I contacted the owner and said that I was very happy to take her to the vet but she asked me to hold off and monitor it. It is now Wednesday and, if anything, the limp is more pronounced. She bites me if I try to examine it. I sent the owner a video of her limping but she hasn’t opened the message.
I rang the vet and they advised to bring her in but won’t see her unless I have the owners permission.
I hate seeing her struggling to walk and holding her paw up when she is sat down. She just wants to snuggle on my lap the whole time, which I am very happy with but I do have to go out sometimes.
Any suggestions anyone …? I don’t feel that I can be too forceful with the owner because, after all, it’s her cat & not mine.

5 Likes

Hi @Lynn

I’m so sorry to hear about this - thank you for doing your best to prioritise the welfare of the cat.

I have passed some details over to the Membership Services team to see if they can provide some assistance and support to help get this sorted.

Hopefully, our lovely members might also have some suggestions and some moral support for you. Please give the cat a snuggle from me, and update us if you can.

Jenny

1 Like

Thank you Jenny. It’s very frustrating as I feel as though my hands are tied. I don’t think I’m overreacting, especially now I have spoken to the vet practice. I’m glad these situations are quite rare, in my experience.

2 Likes

Hi @Lynn
Hopefully it’s just a sprain. Cats a prone to spraining their legs. Sometimes a weeks rest can make a difference. I do agree though it would be nice for the owner to authorise a vets visit.

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for your response.
I’m pleased to report, that in the last hour, the owner has responded to my messages. I think the video of her limping cat did the trick. She has arranged for her brother to take the cat to the vet’s tomorrow morning, so hopefully we’re on the right track now.

6 Likes

Oh poor cat. I think you’re doing everything any reasonable sitter would do. You are keeping an eye on it, you’ve reached out to the pet parent, and now if membership services could step in and give further instructions, that helps everyone.

1 Like