Listing Code Words?

I’m not sure about the tomato idea… technically it could work, and I don’t think I’d mind if it was worded in a friendly/humorous way. When applying for sits, I do make reference to info in the listing to show home owners I’ve read it through.

If I may offer an alternate solution that might make both sides happy: instead of asking for a specific code word, ask a specific question! It reads a lot less like a “test” to sitters because it actually feels useful. And it is useful if you always find yourself asking sitters the same initial questions!

I have two questions at the end of my Responsibilities section, all the way at the bottom of my listing. To save you some clicking and scrolling here they are:

If this all sounds like a good fit for you, awesome! Please include the following info with your application:

• Your experience (if any) with reactive or sensitive dogs. Not required, but definitely a plus!
  • Whether you will have a car for the duration of the sit. This is strongly preferred, in case of vet emergencies, but since our town is accessible from major cities by public transit it is something we can discuss! For some of our trips we may be able to leave a stick shift.

I do still get applicants who don’t address the questions at all, so it’s an easy filter for me.

5 Likes

I looked. Weird and unfortunate that you had that experience. She had excellent reviews, so it’s not surprising you chose her. Did she know for sure when you were coming home and did she know you wanted her to leave before you returned? Some PPs like to meet/greet at the end/do a handover.

I will say, while it’s understandable that you’ve amended the listing with a lot of “don’t do [what last sitter did]” as a reaction that could be a turnoff for legitimately good sitters. Kind of like online dating, the next person wants to be taken on his/her own merits, not make up for whatever a previous partner/date did or did not do.

3 Likes

One possible red flag @kaylarose that I’ve noticed with that particular sitter is, out of 10 positive reviews, she doesn’t seem to worry about helping owners or future sitters with feedback as she’s only left two feedbacks.

1 Like

@Katie, yes, I confirmed exactly what time I’d be arriving and confirmed when she’d be departing. I really wouldn’t have minded if she was still there or if she had just messed up the date but the state that my apartment was in was genuinely unacceptable and there are no excuses for treating my animals the way she did.

I am fine with people feeling turned off by having specific rules. I am fortunate enough to get a ton of applications where I am located (more than I can possibly manage) so if some people chose not to apply because they feel like I am being overly restrictive, I think I can live with that. From your perspective, is my listing too intense? I thought I made it pretty casual but clear.

3 Likes

Agreed. And I’m glad @kaylarose left her a review. Otherwise, HO’s wouldn’t know any better and would probably still confirm her based on previous 5-star reviews.

I agree! I think making the code word fun is a great idea. Thanks @Smiley for suggesting this. I would never want to come across as condescending to anyone, let alone a sitter.
I changed my code word to “what’s your favorite David Bowie song? (And by the way, this is who we named our dog after)”
I also like @adelia’s idea about asking specific questions about their experience or requirements (like having a car, for me that Q would not apply since I live in a big city with plenty of public/private transportation) but it’s a good way to filter out applicants that would not be a good fit if a having a car is preferred.

3 Likes

You know Wendy, if that worked out for you just keep doing it. If you want feedback ask the the sitters that read through the info and gave you the code word back how they felt about it. It seems to me like a pretty quick way to weed out the people that probably are not going to be a good match for you. I am a sitter and my first reaction would we, what a great idea! This lady is smart! :).

2 Likes

That’s just what I think too @gmlwiseman. I totally understand that some people might be annoyed, but I think it would be a kind of fun way to connect with the sitter/homeowner because we are both the same type of detail oriented. Honestly, if I found a listing like that @wendy_chicago, I think I would actually kind of enjoy it and want the sit even more! Only partially because I am also a major Bowie fan…

3 Likes

The “five applications then close it down” rule is the nemesis here. I used to CAREFULLY read every bit of each posting, check my calendar, check flights, and craft a detailed reply. HAHAHA no longer, the postings shut down in MINUTES. So if it’s one that looks good I submit a boilerplate app immediately to get my foot into the door before it closes - then start to do the detailed research. WE MUST PROTEST THIS RIDICULOUS DYSFUNCTIONAL 5 APP SHUT DOWN PROCESS, it’s killing us all.

3 Likes

People are rush-applying to everything now to be one of the first 5, so they can boost their odds of getting a sit. Any sit. Not necessarily because they specifically are attracted to yours (otherwise, their applications would be tailored to your sit, wouldn’t they?).

Decline them as quickly as possibly so your listing opens for more applications. It’s the only way around it.

Agreed @trusteduser. It helps no one! Especially harmful to sitters that want to join from other time zones.

1 Like

Another consequence of social media advertising for free vacations, fridge full of food and glasses of wine out on the deck. Coupled with the 5 application limit.
We are only pet sitters these days and we wouldn’t have the slightest problem including a code word in our application for a sit. Look forward to seeing more of them.

1 Like

The only way to protest is to not housesit, to not post sits, and to not post answers to new members’ questions.

It’s great how we support each other, but why are we doing the work of educating new members for no compensation or credit?

Lately admin only steps in when we are breaking the rules or going against the hearts-and-flowers vibes.

Historically, I have supported others without hesitation… but now as I’m “competing” to get into the Chosen Five, why would I do that?

As I’ve said before, the oligarchy does not appear to care what the proletariat thinks of their rules. They ask for opinions but shut down dissenting comments. Until now, which is confusing. What kind of mindfreak is this?

3 Likes

I think it’s brilliant! As a homeowner I think it’s prudent, as a sitter I think it’s very reasonable and even thoughtful. :heartpulse: I also live in a high demand area and I know what it feels like to get 5 completely unsuitable applicants who have quite obviously not read the listing. I blush to say how many I politely declined. However, my pets and home are important- I’m not going to settle for someone unsuitable who hasn’t bothered to read the listing. Ultimately we found the perfect fit. I didn’t use a code word last time, but I will next time.

5 Likes

People get tired of me saying this, but there is no rush with writing. It is enough to press “Apply now” and click the box with the dates. Leave that window open. Then check flights etc and compose a good application.

My gripe with THS is that they do not communicate this. Instead of “Tell them why you are perfect” they could write in that box proper instructions. “Leave this window open, and you can do your reading and writing at ease. Your application may be number 6 or 7 but it will reach the HO.”

When so many members of this forum do not know this, the rest of the membership must certainly be unaware. This creates needless frustration among HOs and sitters alike. Why not change this?? It is sooo easy to replace one textstring in the code with a different textstring.

2 Likes

That’s funny. I’ve had the same experience as a HO and also as a sitter (where HOs don’t fully read our profile). I like your idea!

This is not a failsafe. I’ve had listings close while writing my application with the apply box checked and the window opened. Perhaps, the owner had decided on a sitter in the interim?

3 Likes

I just state explicitly at the top of our listing that we’ve had issues in compatible sitters applying and if it’s clear you have not read and Acknowledged our listing in your application, you will be automatically rejected.

I’m also very direct and would rather not play games in either direction. If you want something, just say what your expectation is and go from there is my opinion.

2 Likes

I really think the only solution is to get rid of the 5 application cap. I would MUCH rather have a ton of applications to choose from than need to consistently decline some so that more people can apply. It is also somewhat a gamble because you never know if you will receive better options when you decline what you already have. I really think this feature is pointless and only has negative consequences.

4 Likes