London, England UK

My first trip to London was in 1997.
England had been my dream since early childhood from reading fabulous books and great films. How I managed that first trip is an unbelievable tale that still makes me giggle.
(I got to personally meet Paul McCartney).
Since then I have visited numerous times and “lived there” as a sitter for extended periods.
This will be my first time back since mass hysteria thwarted all the fun and well I want to absorb every bit of it. This may be my last hurrah!
What are your absolute fave must dos and of course hit me with your pics :sparkling_heart:

10 Likes

Do it the Amparo way…Find a map of london, a pin, some blue tack & a wall/floor then throw the pin to see where you’ll go that day. :woman_shrugging:

People watching on the Tube or a day trip hopping on n off trains.

Have fun & may there be some sun!

3 Likes

love it! I’m not big on the touristy spots. I’ve done all that. I like the feels of doing the locals bit. Like in that pic with the Dirty Dancing…That was in the town park, big screen where they showed the Wimbledon tennis match. I watched the whole thing sitting on the grass. In the evenings they would show movies and people would gather with their chairs, blankies and cups, singing and dancing. It was magical.

3 Likes

London is my birth town so I always enjoy returning, but like you have done just about every tourist destination on offer (mostly in younger years) and so I love to house sit and just soak up the local living vibes. It’s been fascinating to see how places have evolved over the years. If you love the big screen, and haven’t already tried the outdoor cinema scene, this might be something to consider. I had a wonderful evening in Peckham a few years ago with a friend, watching a movie on top of a high rise car park in warm onesie pjs sipping cocktails with locals. It was fab!

2 Likes

Oooh thank you!
This looks like great evening fun to enjoy with my HO friend!

1 Like

Like you, I’ve visited many times and done all the tourist things I think I want to.
But there are a few that may be ‘less’ visited -
Sir John Soane’s Museum is an extraordinary personal collection amassed over a lifetime. https://www.soane.org/
The Horniman Museum and Gardens, another amazing and eclectic personal collection. Horniman was a tea merchant who traveled the world and brought things home. Lots of kids’ stuff at the museum. https://www.horniman.ac.uk/
I went to the Science Museum last Feb for a special photo exhibit - Amazonia. Not sure how long it will run, but the Science Museum is amazing for the scope and breadth of what is there. (And the V&A across the street.)
Lots and lots on the internet now about the architecture of the various Underground stations. Lots of links on google search. I visited the station that is supposed to be most like the Moscow underground a few weeks ago - Gants Hill on the Central Line

And I found an Asian food court - about as close to Singapore or Taipei as you can get - Bang Bang Oriental Food Hall https://www.bangbangoriental.com/ - way out on Edgeware Rd.
Enjoy!

6 Likes

Oh my! Thank you Tom. Really appreciate these recommendations.

For the past 9 years we have had an annual sit in Barnes W London a very desirable post code, also directly in LHR’s flight path, with multi million pound homes, celebs, media stars , politicians and the like, it has a vibe which is very Barnes but for us the most attractive element is the village atmosphere, complete with village green and pond, with ducks … and a photo bombing swan :rofl:

It’s also home to a very famous recording studio, now a very chic movie theatre, complete with recliners and Gin & Tonic refreshments

This laid back attitude perhaps was the reason why Olympic became a hang-out spot for legendary British artists. Keith Richards, Mick Jagger and John Lennon were just some of the guys who were known for randomly turning up to hang out and get involved on various sessions.

Speaking of Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones, the legendary Sympathy For The Devil was recorded at Olympic in 1968, around the same time Cambridge Audio was first formed. It’s a track we often use when demonstrating our product range.

4 Likes

Hi Amparo
I’m interested to see that you were in Beckenham for a time - a nice part of South East London. I was brought up about 2 miles from there, although wouldn’t go back - far too much traffic!

1 Like

John Soanes and Hornimans are good shouts!

Many times over the years and will be there shortly.
Good friends await!

That’s great.

1 Like

I’m home :uk:

6 Likes

@Angela_L we did a housesit in Barnes last summer and couldn’t believe how green it is. We joked that anyone seeing our photos would not believe we were in London. We were very surprised to find that there is a Wildfowl and Wetlands Centre in Barnes. There is also a lovely nature reserve set around a former reservoir, and of course Barnes Common.

3 Likes

Well I have been here only a few days and have been out and about enjoying my time, friends and kitties.
Today I went to the mall!
Not big on shopping but went into town on the High street and it was so good to see so many people smiling! Yes maskless enjoying being out.
The feeling was indescribable to see people being people once more.
Sat on a bench next to two ladies. They were laughing drinking some ale and I couldn’t help but laugh too. One apologized saying they were just having a bit of fun.
I told them to enjoy and keep having fun that I was off to have my own fun.
Cheers everyone!

6 Likes

Which part of London is this @Amparo? I like the fact that the High Street is pedestrianised? It makes exploring so much nicer, quieter and safer.

I live in London. A few of my favourite places are:
The Wellcome Collection (free) near Euston; great if you’re interested in science, health and biology. https://wellcomecollection.org/

The William Morris Gallery (free) in Walthamstow (end of the Victoria line); small, gorgeous museum if you’re interested in design (set inside a park, and has a lovely tea room) https://www.wmgallery.org.uk/

One of the City Farms. It’s great to be able to visit farm animals even though you’re in London. They often have events going on, and farm shops to buy fresh produce. They are all free. There are City Farms in Kentish Town, Hackney, Spitalfields, Vauxhall, and a huge one at Mudshute.

Enjoy your stay!

2 Likes

A walk along the South Bank always does it for me. There are so many things to see, smells to smell, people to talk to. Little monuments and sights that are forgotten.

4 Likes

I love London also my mum went to London at 17 from Banffshire Scotland with a promise of a job with a friend in a big house.she had to get up early light the fires get it ready for the owners.she went on the train with tuppence in her pocket.she was their during the blitz.worked in the ammunition’s factory until it was bombed.also her flat was bombed.then my English father said no more we are going to Scotland I want you to be safe.but she always loved London her heart was there.

3 Likes

Thank you!
I’m in the borough of Bromley. The town center is closed to vehicles and has lots of shops, a mall and outdoor stalls, a theater and well it’s full of life.

1 Like

London has numerous boroughs (subdivisions, communities, suburbs) a short train or coach ride away from the main well known attractions. It is where the locals live. Taking a sit in one of these outlying areas is a wonderful opportunity to experience and be with the people that actually live here. Being a long time resident of Orlando, Florida, visitors associate it with Disneyland, Universal studios when Orlando is actually quite expansive and has many hidden treasures known only to the locals. In that respect, London is the same.

Since my arrival, less than two weeks ago, I have been in Bromley which has a direct train from London Victoria. On my first evening, my friends and I visit a local carvery which offered an unlimited buffet of sides, yorkshire pudding and an assortment of meats carved and placed on your plate. It was a fun and very pleasant atmosphere. I later went back with the mother of one of my hosts for the breakfast buffet. :yum:There are several small, locally owned eateries which I have enjoyed on previous occasions and the local coop has a great selection for quick takeaway or self catered dining at home.

This past Sunday I visited with another friend in Beckenham, which is two stops away and also has direct transport from Victoria. We had Sunday brunch at The Q Bar and Restaurant, a mediterranean offering a very nice selection including vegan options. They have a full bar with an assortment of beers, ciders, champagne and wine. They also have mocktails! (non-alcoholic mixed drinks). We had the vegan pot roast which they prepared for us. We had a lot of catching up to do so did not mind waiting the 40 minutes and it was very well worth waiting for. Delicious and ample servings of plant based roast and fresh roasted vegetables. The place itself is a treat. Lots of families, single ladies, couples and friends laughing and enjoying themselves. Beautifully decorated and if you need to use the toilet, you have walk through a traditional red phone box!

Afterwards, we went for a very pleasant walk in Kelsey Park where I have visited before and will again. Full of birds and waterfowl, Egrets, Swans, Egyptian geese, Canadian geese, maybe they flew on British airways? It’s a fun, peaceful place very worth the visit if you should happen to be in the area. Beckenham has a lively high street with lots of wonderful curious stores and charity shops.
Cheers!

Oh geez, almost forgot…
Beckenham is the town where David Bowie lived and there is a very nice memorial of him in a local pub where he performed. He wrote Major Tom there.

2 Likes