Luggage Preferences and Packing Light

I received a Mac in a Sac packable waterproof for Christmas. It has a really good waterproof rating, higher than most of my previous bulkier waterproofs.

3 Likes

Hi @Myhnabird , I am now considering getting a Surface Pro, especially after reading about how much you like yours. Can I ask what model you have? And any other specs? Have you traveled with it yet?

I have a very lightweight Marmot Precip Jacket which I wore on the Camino. It was pricey but itā€™s lightweight and was excellent. I bought it big enough to wear a warm hoody underneath it as well. I always take it to the UK with me now because it hardly ever rains where I live so I donā€™t wear it much here.

The hood rolls up into the collar. It has velcro straps at the cuffs to loosen or tighten as needed. It also works as a windbreaker.

Erik has the same jacket but in blue. Youā€™ll have to imagine it without the backpack straps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Found a better pic here.

1 Like

Thanks @Kelownagurl ! Love the pic of both of you modeling your jackets. I first checked out the Mac in a Sac that @Debbie suggested, but it wasnā€™t easy to get here in the US so Iā€™ve ordered a few different sizes of the Eddie Bauer Cloud Cap rain jacket. If one of them doesnā€™t work for me, Iā€™ll check out your Marmot.

1 Like

Some people say it can tear because itā€™s lightweight, but I havenā€™t had any trouble with mine. (Unless you are very rough with your clothes or tend to walk thru places with a lot of branches scratching at you.)

Iā€™m sure theyā€™re easily found in US stores (REI maybe?) so you can see it in person.

According to my packing list, it weighs 265 grams. :wink:

Hi Mars - mine is an older Surface 3. I canā€™t bear the thought of breaking an expensive computer (or phone) so always buy secondhand. And, of course, I did break it between my last post and this one and am now struggling with a tablet. But when we return to England, I will almost certainly buy another Surface.

1 Like

Very good advice here. I am a newbie sitter and on my first sit my check in luggage was 20kg and my carry on nearly 10kg (max should be 7kg). I think like a tourist, different outfits for different days :woman_facepalming:t2: as I love to take photos of my journey. Definitely crazy (but fun).

I am planning for house sits in UK in a rather haphazard way going up down all around (because I did not read enough from this forum). I am really thinking hard to change the way I travel, the clothes I bring (I still carry a handbag) my skincare and make-up and from hardcase to backpack. I know from experience I may need to climb up steep stairs a lot in UK.

Hi @Anne.323 good luck with graduating from ā€œPacking Lightlyā€ collegeā€¦

Iā€™ve been trying that for years (I still pack heels) even during my 6 years of full time sitting without a home. I couldnā€™t get my face/body&hair in a backpack :rofl:

Let me know how you do ā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @Anne.323 we are just starting out on our ā€œpack lightā€ journey as Iā€™m a chronic over packer. Capsule wardrobes are the way to go and I just recently tried this on a 9 day sit in Tasmania, a colder place to where I live in Queensland. I had success! Everything fitted in to a carry on size bag. We are heading away tomorrow for 2 weeks as tourists this time and I will be honing my pack light skills, the challenge this time I wonā€™t have access to a washing machine. This is an ongoing project/learning experience that Iā€™m determined to get right before we get to the UK in December for several months. Good luck with your journey.

1 Like

@Angela_L @Crookie I hope between now and July when I start my UK sits, I would come to some sense. Between vanity and sensibility. Looking into light weight synthetic jackets that folds into minuscule purses and going through youtube for packing and backpack reviews. May opt for bare faced with essential skincare too.

I am challenging my comfort zone. No heels but one handbag (crossover) please :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

@Anne.323 , Just got the Eddie Bauer Cloud Cap rain jacket that folds into a pocket and road tested it this weekend. Iā€™m pleased. I also got a Mountain Hardware Kor Preshell hoody to layer for a little extra warmth. It also folds up small into a pocket. For colder weather I have an LLBean packable down jacket that folds into a pocket but itā€™s not that warm on itā€™s own, although with the the preshell and silk long underwear it may be.

I have a question for the backpackers. Do you use compression (or vacuum) bags in your backpack?

1 Like

Compression bags are awesome! Just donā€™t lose the zip closing thing in random places :roll_eyes::woman_facepalming::sweat_smile:

1 Like

I shall be in the UK from mid July to end of October. Should I just pack summer gears? Being 60 and long time overweight I am uncomfortable showing a lot of skin. Perhaps I can get by buying from thrift shops if the weather gets too cold during the later months. Are hiking boots (waterproof but heavy) essential or can I get by with a sandal?

2 Likes

Wow Hand luggage only. Iā€™m trying to work on that for a trip to the States. Any tips for me ? Iā€™ll be away 30+ days
cheers
F.

I donā€™t take a ton of stuff with us, but Iā€™ve never seen the point of doing hand luggage only. I get that you save a bit of money for a suitcase but it limits me so much on what I can bring (like my French knife and some of my liquids) and space for extra running shoes etc. I carry a small backpack on the plane with a change of clothes and any meds etc and the rest can get checked in my suitcase. Plus I donā€™t have to drag it around the airport and on/off the plane.

2 Likes

Hello Fyfie,
Well itā€™s summer so itā€™s not too hard to cover a couple of months with just hand luggage. We only see the owners twice (beginning and end) and the pets tell me they donā€™t mind if I wear the same thing every couple of days. And the beauty of housesitting is a washing machine on site. :grinning:

We wear our big boots, jeans, wrap and puffer jackets on the plane (Puffer rolls up as a pillow -which is handy). I have two other pairs of very light weight trousers, including a smart meet-the-owner-pair and a mid calf pair. Then itā€™s three T-shirts, a linen shirt and one or two light weight wash and wear dresses. A couple of long sleeved T-shirts (one is light wool) and a second pair or third of shoes. All of these things can be worn in layers so colour selection is key. I go for shades of blue, white and sand so that everything works with the jeans.

I donā€™t use many toiletries so thatā€™s easy. Socks and undies take no space at all.

The main issue is shoes which take up space and are heavy so might have to only take sandals this time.

We also carry a light weight collapsible dog water bowl for taking on walks. RAT tests and masks donated weigh much either.

I weigh everything and if itā€™s under I might add a hair dryer, but itā€™s not essential.

Everything else we need can be bought at an op shop / thrift shop and donated back afterwards.

So we do rely in the owners providing towels and sheets etc. but I think thatā€™s pretty standard.

Oh yes, and in my handbag is anything electrical (usually heavy) including my phone and iPad which has books and entertainment.

After 24 + hours of flying great to walk off the plane and not have to wait for luggage.

Enjoy your trip. :paw_prints::footprints:

3 Likes

@fyfie , take a look at this topic:
https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/luggage-preferences-and-packing-light/

2 Likes

Oh man, this is a fabulous forum thread. :grinning:

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for recommendations for wheeled carry-on luggage that is durable enough to handle cobblestones, including brands, type of wheels, hard- or soft-sided or anything else you can think of. Thanks.