Never picking first-time sitters (or young sitters)?

Thanks. So true! Belonging to Trusted Housesitters is good therapy!

3 Likes

Hi Elisa,

I think your profile looks lovely, and that you and Bekir look like a charming and animal-loving couple. I love hosting younger sitters, in part because it’s exactly the kind of thing I would have really benefitted from when I was your age.

I suspect at least some of the issue is that you’re located in a really desirable location, and trying to get sits there is a challenge at the best of times! Barcelona, too!

My suggestions would be to look for as many low-barrier/easy sits within a few hours of you as possible – even venturing afield to Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, or Delaware – and to try and get a few of those back-to-back. When we were starting out I looked for people who needed sitters for only a few nights, and who weren’t in glamorous locations or perfectly staged houses. (This is still my preference!). Someone in a Brooklyn loft will be free to choose from a number of sitters, whereas someone in a suburban townhome might not have the same demand.

I also suggest trying to look at the last-minute sits available here on the forum, or to contact people with upcoming sits who need someone quickly. Best of luck to you in your journey!

5 Likes

I think with the rising cost of living, difficulties with getting much needed time off work & many other personal factors, homeowners are becoming a lot pickier with who they select to mind their beloved animals and look after their properties. Rightly so though. I noticed this more this year than last.
I do recommend starting off housesitting close to home. I have had a few home owners comment that they prefer this due to the possibilities of cancelled flights. I agree with looking at “last minute” housesits too.

Beautiful points made here!

1 Like