New to TrustedHouseSitters, Travelling to NYC!

Thank you very much for your detailed reply!

I’ve started to read the topics you have suggested.

I have added a link to my TH profile in my profile page here, if anyone reads this please feel free to give me feedback on how to improve.

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @beth.7

I think I already posted in this thread so you may have read some of what I said here already but just in case…

Everyone has to start somewhere so don’t let the lack of reviews discourage you too much. Like others have said, NYC is definitely one of the more popular spots, and given the relatively new system of listings getting paused after the initial 5 applicants, --and then every 5 aftewards if the owner reposts-- sits like these become more challenging to land.

But as someone who works online and checks listings multiple times throughout the day, I do notice that many ‘popular’ sits get reposted again at least once, often numerous times. This means many HO’s aren’t finding their best match in that first 5, or maybe 10, 15 or more. So in many cases, more than 5 people will get the opportunity to apply to many of these sits, even if not in the most ideal way of the listing just remaining open until the HO closes it.

The advice to land some local sits to build up reviews is good, even if they are just a weekend near by your house. I see on your profile you are from the UK so you will definitely have ample opportunities to try this approach.

Besides the general saved search for new listings, It could be a good idea to go through old listings in NYC not currently looking for a sitter that you may like and ‘favorite’ them (pressing the heart icon). This will create a notification any time this HO posts a new listing. From what I have seen, these notifications seem to be more in ‘real time’ than the saved searches. The favorites option isn’t linked to the saved searches in any way, so you would see all listings posted, not just ones in a specific time frame you may have specified in your saved search.

Also, I tend not think of getting sits as ‘competitive.’ It would appear that way on the surface, but I do believe in ideas like ‘alignment’ and ‘attraction’ and that trumps experience, number of reviews, the ‘5 applicant rule,’ etc…

This means a HO picking you, who may be the least experienced among the applicants, because they feel a connection because of a common interest. Or remembering how excited they were to experience NYC for the first time, wants to give you that chance.

This means getting up in the middle of the night and getting a nudge to check the listings and you manage to be the first applicant for a great sit that just went live.

My husband and I have landed some great sits over the years, and this process has generally been very easy for us. We get offered almost every sit to which we apply, and this was true years back when we didn’t have dozens of reviews. I have no doubt our attitude about it–relaxed, detached and confident–factored into this big time. So don’t discount that element in finding success.

3 Likes

Thanks @KC1102 this is really helpful and encouraging. Trying to stay positive and hope my dream sit is waiting for me.

1 Like

It’s difficult to get NYC sits. Anytime you see an opportunity to apply you should do so, even if you can’t make the dates listed. Tell the HO you are applying so you can contact them in the future if you don’t see a listings in time to apply before the 5 limit cut off. This opens a way to contact them. Remove your application immediately after you send this message. It’s a hack but necessary if you are wanting to have a chance to apply. Write a very nice application about your desire to pet sit in NYC.

1 Like

Use this filter
New York County, New York, US

I find this the best filter to see NYC sits without seeing Connecticut and New Jersey.

For Manhattan use.
‘New York County, New York, US’

For Brooklyn use ‘Kings County, New York, US’

• Manhattan = New York County
  • Brooklyn = Kings County
  • Queens = Queens County
  • Staten Island = Richmond County
  • The Bronx = Bronx County
1 Like

And just to add–people who live in or near NYC are also applying for sits, often b/c they live with family or roommates and need some space.

1 Like