That said, we find that many Pet Parents invite us to use the main bedroom, as they seek that we enjoy our housesit experience. Or perhaps they want us to return again at a later date. Regardless strikes us as thoughtful gesture. We appreciate that views on sleeping in main bedroom vary across housesitters.
I added the mattress size (in cm) in response to a forum that included people in/from Europe complaining about the size differences!
I don’t think people in the US as a group are necessarily pickier about mattresses. But I have gotten inquiries about my listing from forum members due to the location and have found many couples who have rules about not sleeping in the host’s bed or needing an additional bed. None of this is realistic for people seeking sits in my city as a designated guest room would be rare and is usually a pullout in the living room.
Same here. I mostly drive to sits and always bring my own pillow when I do. I have a tricky neck and need good neck support. Almost all pillows I encounter are too soft and mush down once your head’s on them. (Too firm can also be a problem)
When I fly anywhere, I bring a stuffable neck pillow. I found these on Amazon and they are cheap. Basically it’s fabric sewn into a long tube, with a zipper to open and stuff it with clothing or other soft material, and then a snap if you want to fasten it around your neck.
They’re meant to be used on airplanes, in place of those inflatable or memory foam neck pillows that everybody brings now. The bonus is you can fit a few more pieces of clothing in it, in case you travel with just a carry on. When you arrive, you unstuff it and the unstuffed “pillow” sack itself takes up almost no space and weighs very little.
I’ve found I can use this same pillow lengthwise (rather than snapped together into a semi-circle), stuffing it into the bottom of the pillow case horizontally so that it will be positioned under my neck when I sleep. Easy to adjust how much stuffing it has to get it just right for your neck!
Yesss me tooooo to all of this (in addition to the back thing gaaaaah)! can you send me the link to your chosen stuffy sack? I must have it for flight sits! Nice to get prepared with all these great options the forum folks have come forth with.
I “feel your pain” but comfortable to one person is uncomfortable to another. Our first sit was for an Indian family whose mattresses were made of rags! Thank the Lord it was just for two nights. Most people these days could describe their mattress, if asked. Pillows can be placed in vacuum “space bags” to save room in your luggage.
I love my stuffable travel pillow. You can fit a surprising amount of stuff in it. When we are only going to be in a place a couple of nights I pack my clothes for that in the pillow. Toiletries right at the top of my luggage then I can just grab that, unzip my pillow and no need to get into my big bag. Fabulous. I have the black velvet one to be particularly stealthy for Ryan air.
@MTBer Thank you so much for letting me know about this thread!! Reading your post it sounds like you guys are almost the exact same as us. We do have 2 queen size pillows we are now travelling with and 2 vacuum bags. The pillows are also adjustable so my hubby and I can have our preferred fluff and firmness. They flatten down into next to nothing and go in our main suitcase. It has made a WORLD of difference for us.
At our current awful bed sit situation I think I told you I took all the blankets and the comforter and folded them to make a makeshift topper. It’s so difficult when you go to lay on the bed and realise how many awful nights of painful sleep are ahead of you.
A good night of sleep is so important!! Since I’ve had some uncomfortable sits as well, I always ask about the sleeping situation. Although it might be a bit different for you, reading your message.
Would some inflatable pillow do the trick? Or just bring your massive pillow anyway on the flight? I heard you can just take that with you, but that’s anecdotal evidence, haha.
Or did you figure out another way in the meantime? Curious to hear!! x
We have a 5 night sit coming up next month! We will be flying so I need to make some purchases to prepare for travel to take with me. I literally cut and pasted all the helpful tips and link here into a word document to reference later . We are still in our Mexico home where it is harder to order and receive things quickly. We will be in our home in the US soon and I can order up my the needed items to improve my comfort.