Pegs & Washing Baskets?

As a HO I provide laundry facilities to sitters. Just had a sitter who used all my detergent and left all my plastic pegs outside on the line. This is something I never do as plastic pegs will degrade in bright suin light. The same sitter complained that my home was full of fleas, maggots and cockroaches and that they had been badly bitten. I have lived in the house for six years, in which time I never seen any evidence of pests and neither I nor any of my other frends or guests have ever been bitten. The same sitter suggested that I should use a steam cleaner on outside artificial turf because it was infested. Fleas will not live in artificial turf because they canā€™t eat, feed or breed and steam will damage the fibres. My point is that the HO is usually aware of what is best for their posessions.

1 Like

Some of our sits donā€™t have outside lines at all. Some rely on a tumble drier, which is convenient but not great for energy use. Others have big laundry racks that you hoist up to the ceiling with rope, and work like magic!

But we really love drying clothes outsideā€¦ so satisfying. Weā€™ve found most homes that have lines to also have baskets and pegs, and we can usually find something to substitute for a basket if needed.

We carry pegs with us for sealing food bags, and use them for washing if thereā€™s a shortage. We use wooden ones as they last longer - weā€™ve found plastic ones go brittle and snap, and we donā€™t want to be adding any more plastic waste to the world!

3 Likes

At home, we have wooden pegs. My husband bought them and we have more than enough till we die, so I wonā€™t get to buy different ones without feeling wasteful. Maybe Iā€™ll bring and leave some at sits to get rid of them, LOL.

5 Likes

Sorry to read your sitter used all of your detergent leaving you with none, along with leaving the Pegs on the Line, I only use the HO detergent to wash the Bedding/Linens, I always bring our own.
The Pegs being left out, agreed the plastic ones degrade quicker, if we get to a sit where the HO leaves the pegs on the Line, I leave them reluctantly on the line, nice and neat because I canā€™t not put them in order. Otherwise they come inside after each use.
Sorry you didnā€™t have a great Sitter, if you know your home doesnā€™t have any ā€œpestsā€ and agreed Artificial Turf might have the occasional spider or general outdoor Bug, itā€™s outside, normal grass or gardens have these.
Our basic rule is leave it as you find it or better.
All the best for better sitters next time.

Mostly the ones that have not had drying space had driers, though some just hang on hangers on door frames, over doors etc, which anytime after Summer weather just creates humidity in the house, but anyway I wonā€™t go on about that.
I love Kitchen Maid the big hoist them up inside ones, you donā€™t need to worry about the weather and know that it will all dry.
Pegs are very versatile indeed, the good old Wooden ones are fab and last, I will be honest I did invest in some Pegs that donā€™t leave peg marks about 17yrs ago now, they are still going strong, they have pads on the insides that stop them leaving the peg marks. Agreed, we really donā€™t need more plastic, original wooden pegs are fantastic.
Happy Sitting.

2 Likes

I still have and use a few wooden pegs which belonged to my grandmother and were bought from gypsies pre WW2. I donā€™t need to worry about rain as I have a boiler room - warm as toast and three short lines for drying.

3 Likes

Awe, how lovely, Wooden Pegs really do last a lifetime, boiler rooms are great drying spaces, we find lots of people pop a clothes airer in where their hot water service is (usually in itā€™s own room so plenty of room) again a great use of space.

Thanks for restoring my sanity. I do try very hard to make my home nice for sitters and it is so disheartening to be taken for a ride by freeloaders.
In five years of sitters I have only had 2 real bums who took the piss. I just wish it was easier to spot them.

Sue.

2 Likes

I bought some little portable clothesline things online.

Itā€™s like a stretchy cord with pegs attached and hooks on either end.

1 Like

This sort of clothes line and pegs are popular with campers and folks who RV. The clothes line is stretchy and there are adjustable stoppers along the clothes line, to avoid slipping. Thatā€™s because when youā€™re camping and such, the line might not be perfectly straight and you donā€™t want your clothes to bunch in the middle of the line. People often tether the line to trees and/or parts of their RV.

Such lines and pegs could be useful on other types of travel as well.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I have :blush:

2 Likes

I found a lightweight circular plastic thing with pegs attached. It hangs up inside my Camper or in the awning. Does the job a treat.

1 Like

My friends tease me about the contents of my fridge. It has to be organised (like with like) or it upsets me. My books are on the shelves in alphabetical order of author - once a Librarian, always a Librarian.

1 Like

Sounds sort of like this metal one, which I have at home. I use it to hang stuff like scarves, which I donā€™t throw in the washer and dryer.

1 Like

@Manda, Iā€™m in Paris and was across the street from my hotel, buying water and such this morning. I saw these pegs and thought of you. I donā€™t know what the French call pegs, LOL. They were color coordinated with the other houseware supplies.

1 Like

Yes Maggie,
It is the plastic circular version. I would dig it out but it is packed in a locker in my Camper and difficult to get at.
Mine is very light but so practical.

1 Like

Beautiful, I love the Pot Scrubber too, enjoy

I had plastic ones, when the kids were little for all the little socks, they didnā€™t make it, however one that is not plastic might work.

1 Like

No not at all, I do this, all my Pantry items are in areaā€™s that are used to regular, baking, making sauces, etc. I have a shelf in the Fridge thatā€™s for Savoury (Pickles,Mustard etc) and one for Sweet (Jamā€™s etc)
Happy Sitting

At my vast age (86), I have to be organised or I would forget where I have put things!!

2 Likes